Just started 40mg of propranolol 3 times a day getting a very tight chest?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm literally on my second day of 40mg propranolol in that space of time I have taken around 6 tablets (no more, probably less) I have extreme general anxiety and extreme panic attacks on a very regular basis (around 5-7 a day) I do suffer from minor asthma and my doctor did say that this could happen but there was a small chance of it. It's a very heavy painful deep closed sensation in my chest but I feel like I'm doing ok with breathing, no real struggle. It just hurts, I'm not sure if it's pain or muscles in my upper stomach that hurt from being sick so much but if there anyone with a quick answer or who has also felt like this then please get back to me! I do have a doctors appointment next week and I should probably ring up instead of asking on here but I'm not overly worried about it, just curious! Kind regards, Ell

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Also on 20mg of omeprazole and normal prescribed hayfever tablets. If any of these has something to do with it, it would be great help if you could contact me! Thanks again
  • Posted

Sorry I'm also on 50mg of an anti depressant/anxiety tablet if you need the name then just ask I have forgotten as I don't have them to hand right this minute
  • Posted

Hi Ell,

I don't have asthma but when my panic attacks were at their worst i did get a lot of chest pains, like someone had punched me in the heart and the a crushing feeling on my abdomen, like someone was sitting on my chest, i wasn't short of breath but it hurt to breath. I became overly concerned and attended A&E as i didn't know if id injured myself in some way as it was still quite painful to breath even when i wasn't having a panic attack.

Anyways, the doctors at the hospital assured me id not damaged anything, the reason i had chest pains and my heart hurt is because of the amount of panic attacks i was having (15+ in a 24 hour period) id strained the muscles in my heart and abdomen causing them to strain all the time causing the pain.......shortly after that i was put on a short course of Diazepam which stopped the panic attacks for around 4 days and after the 4 days the pains in my chest had gone and after starting the anti depressants and the beta blockers, because i don't have as many panic attacks as i used to, my chest pains haven't come back.

I know this doesn't completely relate to your problem but i hope its helped in some way.....with your asthma though i would probably still call your doctor as i don't know about effects on asthma and medication so i wont pretend like i do.

Danielle xxx

• Posted

Hi Ell,

I haven't experienced this myself however, in the leaflet I'm sure it says if you have symptoms, do not take the pill and go back to your doctor. It might be that you need either a stronger dosage or a different tablet. Propranolol is supposed to stop you having the symptoms of a panic attack because it slows your heart rate and relaxes blood vessels which mean your blood pressure will be lowered. If you're still having symptoms definitely go back to your doctor as the tablet or the current dosage you are taking is not working.

Hope I've helped!

Becciix

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.