Just started a new job, struggling to go into my second day of work, anxious

Posted , 2 users are following.

My anxiety has been ruling my life for years. It has kept me from doing so many things. I have left job after job because of it. And of course working during Covid makes things even scarier.

My first day went ok, but I don't know what I'm doing. Training hasn't really been much of training. I'm terrified of being on the cash register. It is a fast food place and busy every day and Saturday will surely be even busier.

I'm not feeling that great. I haven't been very hungry and I feel crummy. I think it is stress and probably my medicine. I'm on zoloft and ritalin.

I don't want to not show up for work, but I feel stupid and incompetent. I'm one of the oldest there. I can't even drive yet! (I'm in my 20's). I feel like such a loser. I don't know...I'm just really anxious and upset and I could really use some advice or kind words if anyone has the time.

I'm tired of quitting everything. But I feel like one slip up and everyone is going to come at me. And the menu is big.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

remember that for any new job there’s a learning curve. Everybody makes mistakes. Especially in the beginning. Don’t be so hard on yourself. Everybody feels incompetent when they first start a new job. But if you just give it a little time eventually it will become so easy that you could do it blindfolded. Don’t worry about what everybody else thinks. That doesn’t matter. Just take one day at a time and soon it will be super easy. Once you stay there for a little while you’ll feel proud of yourself for doing that. And that can be the steppingstone to your next job that will be even better. You can do it! We are here for you!

Hang in there. ❤❤❤

• Posted

thank you for the encouragement, Jan. I truly appreciate that you took the time to comment. I survived my second day, although there were a few moments I thought of just fleeing into the parking lot. There's no real training regiment. There are managers there but none of them really do anything and don't seem to be be fond of questions. I'm mostly having to rely on my co-workers. I'm terrified of going on register because I have zero training on that so far. It's odd. I go in in the morning. Hopefully I'll be ok. I won't get much sleep since I just worked night shift. Thank you again for writing me. It means a lot. I'll try my best to hang in there and not just quit like I usually do. Keep me in your thoughts if you can. I hope you are well. Thank you. ❤❤❤

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.