Just started Citalopram and I’m feeling very strange.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Over the last week and a half I’ve had the worst feelings of panic and anxiety I’ve ever experienced in my life. It was to the point where I was getting physical symptoms, like lightheadedness, muscle aches, and difficulty sleeping. 

I finally saw my doctor about it today and she ended up prescribing me Citalopram 20 mg. I just took my first dose an hour or two ago and I’m feeling worse than I was before. 

I’m still feeling everything I was feeling before, plus new symptoms as well. Not only am I still feeling anxious, I’m feeling more lightheaded and having a hard time focusing. It’s like my brain is in a fog. I can’t seem to sit still, but I can’t get up to move around much because my limbs feel tired and heavy and they keep trembling and shaking. To top it all off I’m feeling very drowsy, nauseous, and getting a slight pain in my chest, as well. 

I honestly feel like I might be dying. Some of the side effects I’m feeling are listed as “serious”. Should I go to the emergency? Or is this all normal? 

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

It's all normal...you should of started on ten then move to 20 milligrams..

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I thought I was going to start with 10 mg, but my doctor prescribed 20. I’m wondering if I should cut my doses in half, but part of me is worried about not following my doctor’s orders. 
    • Posted

Call you doctor and tell him you want to cut tablets ..I don't see why he wouldn't approve..

• Posted

Hi, hope you are feeling better by now. If not, go to emergency. You have nothing to lose by getting checked out. (Except time!) Likely nothing, but the peace of mind will help to calm your anxiety. I also had a horrible start up on Cit and made a few trips to emerg because my bp and heart rate were crazy and I just felt wretched overall.

Message back if you want to chat.

Shana

• Posted

Thank you for replying. I am starting to feel a little better now. I must say that these side effects are making me afraid of taking more of this medication, though. 
  • Posted

Another option would be to split your dose. Take 10mg in morning and 20mg at night. The feeling of dread and panic will fade but may take a couple of weeks. It does get better I can assure you. I've been on cit for over 10 years and I am also a mental health nurse.

• Posted

*10mg in morning and 10mg at night before bed*
    • Posted

Thank you for the advice. My doctor told me that it would take a few weeks for it to start working, but she failed to mention that it would make me feel worse during that time period. 
    • Posted

Jumping in here....

?Steven, during the years you've been on Citalopram, have you had any blips or relapses? I ask because I've been on 40 mg of Cit for the past 5 years, was doing great, and then the anxiety came back (although, not as bad as it was 5 years ago, when I went on Cit in the first place). This time, I've had 2-3 weeks of bad anxiety, then 2 weeks where I was almost back to my old self, and now nearly a week of anxiety again. I'm now deciding when/if I want to switch to a different SSRI, and, honestly, a bit worked up that the Citalopram quit working for me:-).

• Posted

Hello! I’m on citalopram 10mg, today is day 15 for me; I’ve never tried this medication before but it does take time to work. I’m counting down the days to feel better and I get the same nasty side effects as you’re experiencing. I went to A&E on my 3rd day of these meds because I felt really bad but it was just severe reaction and side effects. Trust me, even after this time it does get better but I still have horrendous days. I’ve got time off work to settle into these meds, are you working?xx

• Posted

Believe me I had those same side effects they are horrible but I’m already in for 1 month and feel way better stick with it their will be better days
    • Posted

Hey will I’m a lot better still have some time to get better but I’m for sure getting better thanks for asking how are u?
    • Posted

I’m ok still have some insomnia but it’s getting better. Today was a good day I had very little anxiety. It’s a first🙏🏻 I’m 13 weeks at 10mg. 

• Posted

Very cool will hopefully u keep improving today I had a lil episode sucks but that’s part of it I still wake up everyday at 8 am no matter what time I go to sleep but hopefully that goes away too

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.