Just started Citaloptam 20mg

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had two panic attacks for two consequitive days and spent hours in the hospital. The doctors helped me to calm down. I think I'm going through a nervous breakdown. The highly advised me to see my GP and she prescribed Citalopram 20mg and I took the first tablet today before reading the comments on this feroum. I am a bit concerned about the side effects of the first two weeks because I already have most of them, especially problem with sleeping, (haven't been able to sleep at night in the past 4 months) my mouth is dry, my tongue goes stiff and my jaw feels heavy. Racing thoughts, feeling of dying and lack of breathing. If this tablet will make me worse for two weeks, a'int I be in a darker place in the comming weeks? I have to perform at work next week. How can I avoid panic attacks? I already had one at work and it was embarrasing.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi fifi 

I hope your feeling ok today! I started cit 3 weeks ago and yes there are side effects as they reach to a therapeutic level please stick with it! If you feel your not coping ask your gp for something to take the edge of at the start! I got propranolol for the anxiety and they worked for me but everyone is different you may well not have side effects try to think positive I know it's so hard but this forum is great! 

Thinking of you xx

• Posted

Hello there. Thank you for your kind answer. really appreciate it..glad to hear you started to see the result. I was an fine before the panic attacks but it just got worse since the panic attacks came (three days ago). What I wonder is that will these medicine be addictive? Is there a certain period and then one can go off them after the treatment
    • Posted

Everyone is different fifi and length of treatment varies it does say that 6 months can be an assessment point! Sometimes weaning on to citalopram can help starting with 10mg I went straight to 20mg and te side effects lasted about a week then gradually got lighter and lesser still have some side effects but it's early days! I wish you all the luck and we are always here xx
    • Posted

thanks so much for your response. what I don't understand is to have two panic attacks and then being diagnosed with major depression. I feel like the life has changed in the course of 48 hours. shochking.
  • Posted

You poor thing, I can totally sympathise, I had the same experiences when I first started taking citalopram. I had panic attacks every single night for the first 10 days.... Dead on 2am every time strangely! the first one was like a near death experience and ending up in a&e as I didn't have a clue what was happening, but gradually as the nights went on they became less and less intense.they should eventually stop.  I was also given diazepam 2mg to take for the first two weeks too if I felt edgy this really helped. I'm on around week 7 now and I don't know what I would do without them. I sometimes get the odd side effect but nothing like when I first started taking them. Try hanging on in there, I'm really starting to feel the effects. Take care 😀
    • Posted

Omg! Did you have panic attacks while being on Citalopram?
    • Posted

Hi Fifi, yes I did unfortunately, but they will pass. They can be very frightening. The funny thing is, I had my panic attacks under control and hadn't suffered from them for a good couple of months, it was the every day anxiety I couldn't shake off. This is why I needed to start the meds. These citalopram frightened the life out of me when I first started taking them. But  I then got used to having the panic attacks every night, until I kind of excepted them and just let them happen....they soon calmed down and I'm sure yours will too. I would just get up take a diazepam have a cuppa, watch the telly and nod of on the sofa 😀.  It can be a very bumpy ride, every day can bring something different,  but I can really see that light at the end of the tunnel!!! I have more good days then bad now which is fab. Maybe suggest getting some diazepam from your gp, It may help - you can take them for a couple of weeks and not get addicted to them. This site can be very reassuring, hope it gets easier for you. 
  • Posted

Hi Fifi

Oh bless you, I do feel for you.  Yes Citralopram will make you worse before you're better, but please don't get scared about taking them.  They really will help you and people on this site will support you too.  The side effects will last around 2-3 weeks, but just ride it through and persevere and around 2-3 months you'll begin to feel better.  It seems to work like this for everyone, and at times you'll feel like nothing's working, but it is, promise.  Your body needs time to adjust to it.

This medicine is not addictive, and if needed some people take it for life.  

Ive taken these tablets for 15 years and they've been my saviour.  They really will help you.

K xx

• Posted

thanks a lot! this place is amazing! very reassuring. I took the first tablet last night. could take some sleep at night, though had a mild attack at dawn time. today it's a bit hard to get out of bed, and I keep yawning. But feeling slightly lighter than yesterday on my chest which is good.
    • Posted

Yes this site is brilliant isn't it.  Wish it had been around when I was first ill many, many years ago ...... ah well.

Yawning is a side effect too ...... it'll be tough for you for a while with other effects, but you'll get through it all.

Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.