Just started fentanyl patches today. How were they for you jx

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have today been given my first patch after being on tramadol for 4 years. How did the fentanyl patch suit you good or bad...How quickly did you need to increase the dosage level. Many thanks in advance jx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Firstly I hope the Fentanyl works ok for you.. It does work for many folk but for me it didn't sad .. I was, and still am on the maximum dose of Dihydrocodeine amongst other things for a pelvic bone tumour and ruptured spinal disks.

I was prescribed Fentanyl for the above about a year or so ago and ended up on about 100mcg every 3 days after a few weeks. To be honest the Fentanyl didn't do anything for my pain. The only thing I did notice that almost daily.. I would suffer from severe sweating for no reason (other than the Fentanyl.) So I asked if I could come off them and go back onto the Dihydrocodeine which I did.

I dunno, perhaps I didn't give the Fentanyl long enough (eight months) but as well as the sweating, only being able to re-apply the patches every three days was just not enough.. I would start to get withdrawl symptoms after about 52 hours which was leaving me with what I call the 'ebbie gebbies' (It's like all my nerves were on edge and my body was calling for the next Fentanyl dose.)

I really hope you get on with it ok.

• Posted

Thank you Orb for sharing your experience. I know it can take some time to find one that suits I am still at the present taking 6 tramadol a day but my detox from those will soon be over...I also take diazepam and a antidepressant sertraline oh the list is endless lol..Yes I have heard a lot of people say that they do not last the 72hrs which is why the G.P said take the tramadol for breakthrough pain until we can reach a level of fentanyl that works...Really sorry that the patch did not work out for you..I must admit if this does not work I will despair..jx

• Posted

i have now been on the fentanyl patch for one week ...No significant change at all regarding pain relief, mood, drowsiness  ect..I know my G.P intends to increase the dosage as soon as she returns from her 3 week break. I between times I will be attending my detox clinic just for the continued support to remain on  my tramadol reduction which is now currently at 5 a day...A great improvement from 20 to 30 a day...life feels good painfull but manageable jx
    • Posted

Sounds like your doing really well on the Tramadol reduction Jayne, Keep it up smile

If you're still on the starting dose for Fentanyl (12.5mcg per 72hrs) you may not be feeling any real pain relief as yet. I only really noticed that It was starting to have a slight effect at 100mcg but the main thing I noticed.. was that instead of pain relief, I was aware of the need for a new patch once the 3rd day was coming up.

Keep up the good work with regards the de-toxing, and I hope the Fentanyl starts to work for you.

• Posted

Thank you for this orb as I genuinely  have not noticed any pain relief at all. I appreciate the dose is very low and will slowly be increased to hopefully a level that my body is happy with. Struggling keeping the patches on but now I cover the patch with a plaster (problem solved) I have heard people say in the past that the patch tends to last a day less than anticipated....Yes the detox is going well managed to drop to 5 a day now..as of now the reduction has to be much slower half a tablet every 2 weeks so still a way to go..I too hope the fentanyl works..Thanks for the support jx
    • Posted

I case your not aware you must take a little care when covering these patches, You should not seal the patches tight as covering them in some things can cause the skin to overheat underneath which then results in higher skin temps & thus possibly higher doses to be admited than is prescribed.

I used to have the same problem though with the patches peeling off, so I bought some 3M Micropore tape to cover all the edges of each new patch (don't totally cover the patch,) this stops them peeling off whilst still allowing the skin to breath beneath.

• Posted

Smart advice I had completely forgotten about the temperature increase on the skin . Yet today the chemist have advised me to wear a tubigrip not sure from what Country that you are from but basically an elasticated bandage..Thanks for that Orb time for a rethink on this one jx
    • Posted

Well I return to my detox clinic Friday and Im quite excited about it . I cannot wait to tell them the amount of tramadol that I am taking...I have worked so hard to get to this point and it hhas been worth every sleepless night, every tear shed , and every moment of self doubt.....because I did it...Good Luck to all of you in search of a better quality of life...we all deserve that...jx
  • Posted

Hi Jayne and Orb,

I was reading your conversation, and wanted to say a couple things. Congrats Orb!!!!!!biggrin, that is something to be proud of. I've been on Fentanyl for about 18 mnths, and right away I found that I was going into withdrawal at 48 hrs. I told my pain doc and she said that it happens all the time as the skin absorbs meds at different rates. "phew", thought she was going to think I wanted moreredface 

I cannot wait until I'm off meds cuz that will mean I not sick anymore. Jayne, if your not getting relief from dosage, please tell your Doc. so they can adjust it to give you relief.  I see a pharmacologist as well as pain doc and they discuss my meds.. I hope some of this helps, and thanks for sharing the good news, Orb.

• Posted

Hi Just2rob thanks for that information so did you find fentanyl helpful or not at all...Hoping to up my dose in 2 weeks once my G.P returns. I have detox clinic tomorrow to ensure the tramadol detox is still on track which I am pleased to say yes it is. Just a wait and see now to see if the fentanyl does anything for me..once again thank you jx
  • Posted

Well slightly disappointed with the Fentanyl so far..........it,s still early days and I know i,m on a low dose to begin with...Im getting dreadful breakthrough pain, normally I would just take a handfull of tramadol (NOPE NOT AN OPTION) even though my G.P says take 1 or 2 it won,t hurt, thats laughable. At a loss really as to what other painkiller to take other than the naproxen....only a week to go before my G.P returns in between times I will contact my detox clinic...jx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.