Just started having this problem

Posted , 5 users are following.

Thank you all for being willing to share ideas.  I recently began having this problem -- of bad constipation and also diarrhea. This, plus I have been having bad congestion.  I was diagnosed by an ER doctor as having IBS.  I don't have fever.  

I do have cramps in my intestinal area.  I'm taking bentyl (or something like it) for the cramps and another med for constipation.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  Any success stories?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried psyllium husk for that.psyllium husk controls both diarrhea and constipation.
  • Posted

Hi Jack:  

A few questions:  Were you told what type of IBS you have?  Is it more constipation (not going for several days) or is it alternating some days c and others d or hard and then soft or liquid stool at the same time?  Tell us about the congestion.  Do you mean that your lungs are congested or your sinus/nose?  Does the pain in your abd move around and do you have gas?  Do you have any food allergies?  Why did you go to the ER -- the pain from cramps? 

Having a few more details will help those who reply make suggestions based on your symptoms.

• Posted

Not told what kind of IBS.  The problem that sent me to the ER was bad diarrhea and it was too late to see a regular doc.  It's mainly constipation (and cramps).  The pain is almost always in my lower left abdominal area.

No gas.

• Posted

That's where I have a lot of pain because I have diverticulosis (pockets in lower left sigmoid colon that become irritated if not cleared out by fiber.  I have to avoid eating seeds and other foods that clog up the pockets the result in pain.  Drink more water, add more fiber (check the low FODMAP to see what to avoid or not) and avoid foods with seeds.  I also have Pedilyte that I drink to replace lost electrolytes after bouts of diarrhea.  Hope you are feeling better. 

• Posted

When I was diagnosed with IBS, I wasn't told what type I had either.  However, I knew myself  from doing research I had IBS C mainly with occasional bouts of IBS A.

• Posted

Does sound like IBS.

Did you have any other tests like Colonoscopy or Endoscopy? Those test all but 5% can show diffently Ibs.

Ibs is diagnosed when all other problems are ruled out.

All the symptoms you state I have regularly including congestion and nasal drip this side of it was linked to stress and anxiety.Are you stressed at the moment.

I have found peppermint oil and peppermit tea really really help for me but I know it's not for everyone

• Posted

Does bentyl help your cramps? Try Imodium for the diarrhoea; this works for me.  I take Buscopan and Nurofen for stomach pain and treat constipation with fruit.  You may have to try several medications to find a suitable one.
    • Posted

Right now I'm eating chicken soup and yogurt and bananas for all my meals, plus taking a multivitamin.

• Posted

Maybe try the Low Fodmap Diet or see a dietician to get more variety into your diet according to the foods you can eat to make sure you are getting a balanced diet.  Strange flavours in your mouth is also an IBS symptom.
  • Posted

Do you get plenty of fibre?, check out the Fodmap diet things likely to cause gut problems, have you ever had Chia seeds?, if you get some Chia seeds soak about a tablespoon full in a glass of water for about an hour or two stirring regularly add a bit of juice for taste and drink, Chia seeds contain loads of fibre, it's generally trial and error, drink plenty of fluids, good luck.

• Posted

Hi martin:   I use to drink fluid with chia seeds every day but found that the seeds (even tho enlarged by water) were still getting lodged in pockets in my lower left colon.  I had to stop even tho I didn't want to and I have to avoid seeds.  I love nuts of all kinds but I have to chew them so they are perfectly smooth before I shallow them but they get caught in the pockets too.  Sigh.

• Posted

I started posting yesterday about IBS and my symptoms.  One thing I've noticed is that I have sort of a metallic taste in my mouth.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.