Just started Levothyroxine

Posted , 7 users are following.

After much debate and terrible blood work I am on a high dose of Levo. I have been on it for a 3 days and I am feeling a million times worse! Everything hurts (muscles and joints) and I am extremely fatigued. Did anyone else have this problem? When will it pass?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have been on levo for 2 years now and my muscles and joint are still killing me I'm still under consultant they giving me a MOT so good luck
  • Posted

Hi Michacha,

Unless you're having a very bad reaction to the things that are mixed in with the Levothyroxine, I would try to stick with it. Levo can take a bit to get into your system at a therapeutic level. It took me at least 2 weeks to notice any changes, and those were more mental than physical. Physical changes took longer and,that said, there were a few rough patches along the way. I had issues with sleep etc. if you need to though, please speak to your GP!

• Posted

Hi michacha,

I'm sorry you are feeling rough.

It's difficult to comment whithout specific details - it would help if you could post the results of your blood work and the range that is printed next it. Also what dose of levothyroxine are you on? (Apparently it's recommended to be 1.7mcg per kg of body weight).

It's a good idea to learn as much as you can before your next visit to the doctor, that way you can start being a participant in your care instead of just a recipient. Another thing is that doctors should, but don't, check adrenal glands before starting you on thyroxine, so read up on that. I'll try and private message (aka PM) you some good articles to read - I'm using my phone to reply, so not easy to do. Starting dose is usually low then increased (though 24 years ago I was put on 200mcg, normal dose for me now is 100-125mcg! Even then the sdvice was to stwrt on 25-50mcg). You could go back to your doctor and tell them your symptoms and ask if they think it would help to start on, say 25mcg, and increase it by 25 every 3-4 days. Ask what they would advise.

• Posted

Dear Michacha:

Hello, My name is Shelly and I am an RN-Nurse and I live in the USA and have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.  When you take Levo the doctor normally starts you at a low dose and waits for a while to see how you do, and then they up it a little at a time.

It takes the body 6-8 weeks to adjust to the med and for symptoms to subside.  You may also need a good Multi-vitamin as you need the minerals in the body to be correct so the Levo will work properly.  So sadly it takes a bit of time for the body to adjust and build a proper level.  It just is not that quickly fixed and the body has to learn how to use the replacement hormone.

Also if your Vitamin D level is low you will have muscle aches also.  So take a multi-vitamin with food or meal, and that may help you also. 

If you feel the Levo is too strong, you can take about half a pil (break it in half or get a pill cutter), in a.m. and then take half of it about 6 hours later.  If it continues to bother you, call your GP or Endo and report the problems.  They do have other thyroid pills and some people can't take Levo. 

The med is not timed released and some of us can't handle a big dose.  If you need to try half of it, then get used to that, then get it back up to the dosage you need.  You can try it and see if it helps.

Be well, feel free to ask any questions you have.  Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly, you are so helpful on this site, it seems that they know more about the disease in the US as you are very well informed.

Thank you for ll your tips and info x

• Posted

Hello Yorkrose:

I think both UK & USA know the same information on thyroid disease. Explaining it to the patient is what is lacking in both countries. (If you get 10 minutes with the doc.)   Having Hashimoto's Disease which causes  Hypothyroidism makes you learn quickly....LOL. 

So many people do not understand what is happening in the body, ( it is overwhelming), and that is where a forum like this helps.  We can share information and help someone which is what I love to do!   I decided to become an RN-Nurse to do just that.  Thank You for the wonderful compliment and if I can help, just ask.  XO Shelly

• Posted

I am on 300mg of Levothyroxine. I was diagnosed recently because I have always been on the go, go, go and I was so tired and falling asleep everywhere! I am not used to being so fatigued. Yes, I'm always tired but I just ignore it but this is knocked me on my butt! I took 2 days off work because of it so far and can't seem to get myself out of bed and when I do I get so tired so quickly. 

Thank you for the encouragement, I'll give it a few days and contact me Dr again. 

• Posted

Hello again Michacha: 

Having thyroid issues will make you very tired, gain weight, headaches, muscle aches, being foggy or unable to concentrate, etc... check your pill dosage since the medication is in mcg (Micrograms) not Milligrams - even though I know what you mean.  There is a difference of 1000, LOL.

Hang in there, I went through years of hell suffering too. It is a nasty disease and I have had it since I was 27.  I know I had it in my teens but doctors did not test young women back then.  I am now 54, so you can live with it.  Please give your body a chance to adjust, but like I said  it can take a while 6-8 weeks.  Rest yourself, I know how hard it is to function.  You are not alone! 

Also it can run in families and if you have a sister or cousin, they should get tested or be aware of it.  At least we have such help at our fingertips today.  Just  ask and we are here to help.

Keep in touch -let us know how you feel.  XO Shelly

• Posted

300mcg (?) is a very high dose to start on. Does the patient information leaflet with the thyroxine give any clues as to what should be the normal starting dose?
  • Posted

So glad to be part of this discussion. I have been on the drug for about a year.. only 50m.My blood work says I am now in range but I still have the symptoms that you are all ttalking about.  fatique, aches, loss of hair and gaining weight unexplainably.

Ilook forward to reading all the replies.

Thank you!

• Posted

Hello Sherry:

Even though your TSH level may be okay, your doctor should consider if the med is reducing the symptoms and you may need to ask for an increase in it.  Most of us need an increase in the med, despite the TSH, T3 or T4 level outcomes.  So you can tell the doctor that symptoms are still bothering you, and can you increase the dose.

If you still have a lot of aches or pains have a mineral panel plus Vit D level done.  All of this is blood work.  Maybe you have low Vit D too which can cause pains/aches.  You can buy a good Multi-Vitamin and see if it helps reduce aches.  Magnesium and Vit D can go low in thyroid patients.

I hope this helps. XO Shelly

• Posted

Thanks so much.

I was told at my annual last week to start Vit D as it was low.

I see him for some unfinished things next week and will mention an increase in meds.  I sort of did last week but then I guess it IS my body and my aches and pains-hair loss! and weight gain.

Thanks for the courage.

Sherry

• Posted

After being on my meds for almost 2 weeks I am feeling so much better. My muscles are no longer throbbing in pain and my fatigue is slowly going away. :D Christmas Miracle.
    • Posted

Wow,  that s great news.  it takes  some time. XO Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.