Just started Mirtazapine 30mg - Side effect

Posted , 5 users are following.

So i have read up on a lot of different forums that there are patients gaining weight off these? well i would like to know what the odds are of gaining weight because i have always had problems with weight gain, i can never put on any weight, no matter how much i eat, i have a fast metabolism and i am wondering, will the mertazapine surpass my high metabolism. also in some cases i've heared it slowes your metabolism down too..   but it would actually be a benefit for me to gain some extra weight.

thanks in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I know one of the side effects of most antidepressants is weight gain.  I've read up a lot on the antidepressants I'm taking and it seems to be a huge battle to keep weight off, even for those who are naturally thin.  I don't know much about Mirtazapine but you can type in reviews and Mirtazepine into google and you'll be able to read peoples own personal experiences on the antidepressant. That is, if you haven't already.  Any new medication I take I always read up on the personal reviews so I know what to expect.
    • Posted

Sorry, I just re-read your first sentence, you have already researched the forums.  
  • Posted

Hi Dean 1992,

I've been in Mirtz before and, yes, it does indeed give you an appetite! I'm usually not a "snacker" but, I found I was snaking on anything going! I put on a bit of weight but, it was just down to the side effects of the Mirtz!

Don't be alarmed it you start getting really hungry - it's totally normal on these meds!

Wish you all the best and keep us posted!

Zoe x

• Posted

I've been mirtazapine for nearly 6 weeks and I've gained 8lb... Like yourself I've always struggled to gain weight because of a fast metabolism.. Always been 'stick thin' as people used to tell me. I was actually that thin people used to think I had some kind of eating disorder (I don't, just very high metabolism) I tried everything to gain weight because I hated being so thin, nothing worked. Then I started these meds and I'm piling it on. I'm actually starting to worry I'm gonna gain to much for my liking now because my appetite is actually stupid, its increased majorly. I have heard it can go the other way, I know 3 girls tho who have been on them and they have all gained weight rapidly. Hope this helps
  • Posted

Sadly, a lot of psych meds have an appetite stimulant effect. I drink a pint of water when I feel hungry outwith mealtimes to stave off the hungry feeling.x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.