Just started mirtazapine

Posted , 10 users are following.

Only been on mirtazapine two days. But both mornings i really struggled to get up. I feel really tired, light headed and week and mouth tastes awful. Is it possible to feel side effects so soon? I'm on 15mg been told to take b4 bed please any info or advice

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi that's normal because it is a sleeping aid at 15mg it wears off though after a couple of weeks it's not as bad.. when I went up to 30mg didn't have the same effects I began to struggle for sleep .

• Posted

Hi Sharon

I'm taking Mirtazapine for nerve pain. I have only been

taking it since middle of June, 15mg up until just over a

week ago and now 30mg. I wondered if you have been

taking it a while have you noticed any hair loss with this

medication?

• Posted

Hi woodie no I can't say I did.. I think I saw someone the other day on hear saying they had tho.. I had that many problems with it I'm surprised that wasn't 1 of them .. I'd say for pain the worst was the severe pain in my hips.. and if I moved suddenly it would feel like my calf muscle had ripped , I'd have to use crutches I didn't realise it was side effects until joining this forum..I really thought I was hitting old age early.. most side effects seem to come when going upto 30mg so anything changes with you at all its most likely that..

• Posted

Hi kayliegh

this is very normal to feel these side effects even after one dose. The tiredness will dissappear quite quickly and hopefully you will start seeing the benefits that mirt can give. Try and relax as much as possible until the tiredness subsides xxx

• Posted

It took me a few days, and I took it as early as I could to minimise ":hangover" - if it persists for too long maybe it isn't for you - Mirtazipine isn't the most well tolerated of the AD's - although many are prescribed a low dose SSRI or SNRI for the morning. Please tell your doctor if it continues - there are plenty of options out there now. Patients don't "fail" treatment.

• Posted

I agree with everyone else that says it gets better. Just give it a a few weeks. 

Also, at least for me, I learned to take it exactly one hour before I wanted to go to bed. So if I wanted to be in bed by midnight I'd take it at 11pm and by 11:45 I wouldn't be able to keep my eyes open. I leaned not to take it right before I went to bed because then it kicked in later and it was really hard to wake up in the morning.

Mirtazapine let me sleep so soundly—I loved it for that—especially after not being able to sleep well for so long because of anxiety.

Good luck Kayliegh!

• Posted

I forgot to mention that in addition to the initial 15mg knockout effect lessening with time, once you get up to 30 or 45mg it won't knock you out as much, and it will be easier to get out of bed in the morning. Although it will still help you sleep. I was on 45mg for 12 years and it never stopped helping me sleep—a Godsend.

• Posted

Yes kayliegh it's normal to feel side effects that soon mirt has several of them I used to be on it but got off due to weight gain I still feel like crude being off them two weeks I'm always tired and no energy at all.read more up on them to understand them better good luck keep in touch ?? Cat196111

• Posted

Newby on Mirt. Taking 7,5mg. Soon probably 15mg. Had a really bad bout of sleep for 2-3 weeks so need to get my sleep sorted first. Bad things is i have pritty much been bed ridden, except for eating these last 5 days i have been on it. Only seems to wear off in the evening, when its time for another pill. Now walking to the store, or just standing up is a real chore! Muscles in legs and arms feel very weak. Guess some ppl get this, at least its what i have read. Just a bit scary. Was dead exhausted before i started taking this for starts. Main side effects: dry mouth, dry eyes, hunger, weak limbs & legs and super drowsy with blurred vision. Guess this can go on for a week or 2. Thanks all!

• Posted

Hi Chris & welcome smile

Are you taking Mirt for sleep aid or anx/depression?  The reason I ask is because at the lower dose Mirt' is more sedative, ao 7.5 is usually more so.  15mg still has the sedation but less so.  Whilst the 30/45mg are usually added later once you have settled on lower doses for folk suffering with depression.

If you are taking Mirt' for just a sleep aid its pretty much like sending in a sledge hammer to tap in a tack, Mirt' is an extremely powerful antidep/anti psychotic med.  

After a week/10 days the tiredness should level out a little, but always fatigue is present I think at the 7.5 mg.  

Those side effects are all common, some stay, at least they did for me.  I was on 15mg Mirt for about a year before starting a slow taper off.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Chris, sorry you're have a rough time of it. Calmer has considerable knowledge on Mirtz. I was started on 15mg and slept 24 hrs straight, suffered the severe dry mouth and ate like I've never seen food before! My dr had my cut it in half and I slept well without the too-drugged feeling then felt ready do a marathon. It also caused a lot of mouth sores. Anyway I was taken off it as it just wasn't the right med for me.

If your dr increases the dose to 30mg you'll get more of the depression properties of this med and much less sedation.....but as calmer said, we don't know why you're taking it....as a sleep aid or depression/anxiety med.

Good luck and keep in close contact with your dr, that's what their there for

• Posted

New here. Was started on Mirtz 3days ago 15 mg kept me sedated for almost 24 hrs. Doc said to cut in half which worked great for the second night. Last night I was wide awake and could have run a marathon! I even took another half but only slept for 4 hours. Is it okay to just stop it today?

Appreciate any advice. See my doc in a week.

• Posted

Hi Tess there shouldn't be a problem stopping mirt this soon but ld advice you tell your Dr.mirt can be a complicated medication with so many side effects it's good your getting off now anexmirt user

• Posted

If you have only been on it a few days it should be fine to stop immediately. After a few weeks one might need to taper. Mirt is either tolerated or not, it seems.
    • Posted

Thank you. Have read a wide variety of opinions about the med itself but most agree with you that it's safe to stop after only 3 days.

• Posted

Glad to be of help; I have suffered depression (what else can you do with it? boom boom) for over 30 years - not a doctor, but studied med/sci and have been on AD's of one kind or another much of that time. It can be a lot of trial and error to find one that helps and doesn't have too many effects. Wish you well...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.