Just started Olanzapine

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently got off Remeron (Mertz) and was very proud of it becuse it meant I was med free which I think we all want!

3 weeks after being med free I caught Dengue, its a really nasty virus spread by mosquitos, I ended up in hospital for 7 days and came close to not making it as the virus kills many thousands each year.

The shock of this and stress fighting the virus brought back my depression and anxiety, I was devastated!  The P Dr here didnt know what to prescribe me as I'm very sensitive to meds and tried so many, only Remeron helped before, but trying that again was a disaster as it turned me into a shivering twitching wreck!  So he put me on Olanzapine which is normaly for bipolar treatment. 

I'm on my first day at the moment, feel bit calmer but also sedated.

Has anybody got any experience they can share on Olanzapine?

Take care

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was drowsy wen first put on olanzapine but that has worn off now. I've been on olanzapine about a month now for psychosis and tachycardia which was caused by my disorder.  I find it the best medication for anxiety and associated problems which was causing the tachycardia.  I find im more relaxed after taking my 20mg in the morning and another 20 mg at night helps work with other medications to give me a good night's sleep.  I still struggle a bit around 6ish which I'm going to talk to my Dr about. Watch your weight it gives you a good appetite.  I was given some advise to snack on almonds wen craving carbs . It workes for me. I also make up my own ice blocks with no added sugar to munch on wen needed. I wish you well and if I can help pls dont worry about getting back to me. 

Tazjosie

• Posted

Hi Tazjosie,

Many thanks for the reply.

I suffer from Post Traumatic Depression and General Anxiety Disorder, have you heard of Olanzapine  being suitable for this?

I'm only on 5mg at night along with Larozapine when needed. I guess its a low dosage but only my second day.  Its seems to have calmed me down and helps with the Anxiety.  I feel a bit tired but its ok if that wheres off, but I hope I only have to take it for a verey short time just to stabilise myself again.  Do you know any good ways to taper off it?

I also wake at 6am, but this has been my normal waking time most of my working life so I guess thats why, but as I'm not working I could use another hour or two!

Its good you found a med which suits you.  I tried many AD's but I'm hyper sensitive to all I tried apart from Remeron which helped stabilise me before, but it's no good for me anymore.

I need to put on around 10 kilos as I lost too much weight with my problems, worries and such, but I'll watch out for it and thanks for the warning.

Would be good to keep in contact and see how each of us are progressing.

Best of luck and take good care

Norm

• Posted

Im glad u found info helpful.  I got my amount wrong. Im on 10mg in morning and 10mg at night.  Giving me 20mg in total. I started on a lower dose as changed from clopixal. I also have acute ptsd and high anxiety levels along with my psychosis.  I take mirtazapine for my depression. I also take 20mg temazapan at night and 10mg diazapam at lunch with prn diazapam.  I have to watch my weight as since coming off quetiapine my appetite has improved. I still get a little tired if im not active but thats ok.

Keep in touch. 

Tazjosie

• Posted

Hi Tazjosie,

You certainly know your med's! Is this a combination that works well for you?

I'm on my third day Olanzapine and each day I get better, today is the best I felt for Months! Did this med work quick for you? How long before it came fully affective?

Only thing I noticed is that my hands tremble when outside, this was the same when I was on Remeron. Remeron also made me hungry but Olanzapine is more! I'm eating like a hoarse! But I'm 6' 4" and only 82.5 kilos so I need to put on about 15 kilos to get back to my original weight before the depression hit!

I hope all is well with you and your life? 

Take care

Norm

• Posted

Yes the combination works well for me. I found the olanzapine worked quite quick but it took about a month before it was fully at its therapeutic best. Im slightly over weight so have to watch what I munch on. I find im not too good about 5 6pm. Going to discuss it with dr on Thursday. CPN doesn't have any answers so see what doc says. Iv had a poor appetite since being on quetiapine but now on olanzapine I get hungry. Good appetite now but must watch the kcals and carbs. Im glad your finding it works for you. Im the same. Wish you well. Keep in touch if you want. Im only to pleased to help.

Josie.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.