Just started on Amlodipine after being on Atenolol for many years....

Posted , 3 users are following.

My new doctor told me Amlodipine would be better than Atenolol for treating my high blood pressure. I was taking 25mg of Atenolol for about 15 years, and it kept my blood pressure reasonably in check, right around 120/80. She put me on 5mg Amlodipine a week ago, and told me to wean myself from the Atenolol by taking a half pill daily with the Amlodipine for one week. My last dose of Atenolol was Friday night, I took only the Amlodipine Saturday and Sunday night.

I've been taking my blood pressure first thing in the morning since we started this new regimen. All week, through Sunday, my BP was right around 120/80. Monday morning, it shot up to 177/100. No stress, nothing happened. So, I called my doctor's office, and they told me to go to an ER or immediate care. I felt fine, so I went to immediate care, who took my blood pressure, got similar readings, and told me as long as I didn't have any symptoms of anything else to call my doctor to adjust my meds. They also advised me to start taking the half tab of Atenolol again until I could talk to her.

This morning it was still very high. I took multiple readings. I have a virtual visit with her later today. I was wondering if anyone else had a spike in BP when adjusting medications. I very much regret right now going off a medication that had been working for years, but she seemed to think this would be a better fit.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi i hope you feel better

• Posted

The doctor gave me a really hard time about going back on the atenolol, and couldn't understand WHY I went to immediate care. Insisted that the Amlodipine was better. Told me to start taking 10mg Amlodipine after five days, and cutting out the Atenolol again. Blood pressure skyrocketed the next day, and my heart was pounding a mile a minute. Sunday night I went back to the Atenolol, and I have an appointment with a new doctor next week.

My BP is a little higher than I'd like right now, but within acceptable ranges for hopefully a short period of time before I can get it under better control. But I do feel better, thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.