Just started on cit 20mg 3-days ago. I'm so very hopeful this works.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

It looks like most of these posts are over a year old. Is anyone still discussing on here? I've just started

CIT 20 mg 3-days ago and I'm hoping this works. I got divorced 9-months ago and seemed fine for 3-months the wham. The anxiety and depression set in. A few close friends told me to try an anti depressant so I'm here but everyday is so hard to put one foot in front of the other. I've never had this before and it's scaring the crap out of me.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi barb. Theres many side effects to these meds. Stick with them as they will make you feel bettere. People post on here everyday so just keep checking. Lots of valuable info!!!!!
    • Posted

Glad to hear people are still posting. It helps. No side effects yet so I'm hopeful. Thanks for sharing.
  • Posted

It's a very scary time for you, I understand that... but remember your not alone in this.. it will work, it'll definately improve your life.

I think the main thing is holding out and letting it get into your system, try not to worry too much.   Although this is definately easier said then done smile

Last year I was in a similar situation to you, the first few weeks on this stuff I was scared and worried it wouldnt work, wondering what's next, scared of side effects, my head was a constant mess, I was on forums seeking advice as you are now.

The tablets kicked in and I never returned to the sites until today I'm here at this one which I have never been to before, the only reason I am here is because I am now coming off citalopram smile .. things can only get better for you, hang in there! Your at a low stage in life, please look to the future and imagine been happy, because its coming!

Take care, feel free to message me if you need anybody to talk to.

• Posted

Thanks so much for the advise. It does help a lot actually to know I'm not alone in this. My kids are older and don't understand at all what I'm going through. They just keep saying go to yoga, get over it. I've never felt like this before. Like I'm just stuck. I'll be patient and wait for the meds to kick in in the next month or so. It's only been 3-days so I know it's not going to work for a bit. At least I have some hope after reading these posts. I'm usually a go getter, hard worker and have it all together. This just hit me like a lead balloon. Looking forward to reading more posts and putting one foot in front of the other each day. 😊
    • Posted

Yeah its so easy for people who havnt been through it to misunderstand exactly what we're going through.

I got offered similar types of advice as well as meditation, counselling etc.

Yoga and meditation personally made me worse, no doubt it works for some people but for me it didn't, who knows, maybe I was doing it wrong smile - councelling I never actually went to.

Time and patience in this is the best way to move forward, I didn't want to wait for the tablets to begin I wanted it immediately I was so inpatient, so if your a patient person and can hold out for the next few weeks, I'm sure you'll be fine. I have no doubt smile

• Posted

Well. I'm on day 7 of Citalopram and the anxiety has not decreased at all. It's so hard to put one foot in front of the other. I'm doing the bare minis for now. Sounds like I'm going to have to wait it out. All I want to do is sleep. To escape I'm sure but wake up at 6:00am everyday and within 20 minutes I'm so riddled with anxiety it's like being frozen in time. I just wait for bedtime everyday and hope I can get done what I have to everyday. Worst thing I've ever been through. I'm in the middle of menapause which I'm sure is a factor but not really sad or unhappy. Just stuck. Does this get any better over time?
    • Posted

hi Barb

so its been a fair few days now how are you feeling?

• Posted

Hello Barb,   #1, I’m so sorry you are going through this.  #2, We are here for you! 

#3, People are posting here daily!  There are a lot of wonderful people on this forum, with great advice!  What is nice is, there is no judging here.  And we do understand what you are going through, as either we have gone through, or are going through something similar too.

(fyi...I have been on Cital 20 mg for 3 years, and have had really good luck with it.) 

Starting this medication is no picnic, as is with many other meds.  It can take as long as 5-8 weeks before you feel the full affects, some say it takes longer, everyone is different.  But you will feel some changes for the good sometime in the first week.  You can start out well, then you can feel like you are taking a few steps backward, and this is all normal.  It is just how the medication work.  You will get better as you go.  You will feel the anxiety start to leave you, and the depression as well.  Little by little you you will start doing things you have not done in a long time.  But, you must stick with it. 

This darn anxiety and depression is very frustrating, and can cause all kinds of symptoms in our bodies.  Remember, you are not alone, keep in contact with your doctor, family, friends, and we are always here for you!!  Even if nothing more than to vent!  We understand!  It all helps you!  A lot of people have been on other meds as well, so if you find you don’t like one med, they can tell you of other kinds that might work for you, and you can run it by your doctors.  There is all kinds of very helpful information here!  I know I am sure happy I found this forum...it sure has helped me!!  In the mean time, here is a {{{{HUG}}}} for you, as we can all use those!  Wishing you good luck!! 

• Posted

Thanks so much. The anxiety is almost debilitating. And I don't know where it's coming from. Mornings are the worst. So hard to get going to work everyday. And I have no appetite. Literally have to force myself to eat. This just sucks. On day 4 so I've got a long way to go it sounds like before I start to see some results from the meds.
  • Posted

Hi barb,

I am new to a-d's and cit so I know where you are coming from. The anxiety is going to be off and on, and yes quite debilitating. The not wanting to eat probably won't last too long but it's also a side effect so force yourself. The thing with this is patience. Like the people on here say, this is not a quick fix. The more patient you are, the better your results. Anxiety and insomnia went hand in hand for me but we are all different. Keep coming here for guidance. I'm new but there are others who are excellent and supportive.  (((hugs from me too)))

• Posted

Thanks for the support. I've never bee through anything like this before. So it's great to have others to discuss with that are going through the same. I know this is going to take time and patience. I've got a great therapist so that helps. I'll hang in there and hope in a few weeks things will even out for me. I'm alone for the first time and I think that's part of it too. I've got two great kids that are being supportive and that helps. Time I think is going to be the answer. I haven't really had too many side effects yet but it's only day 4. Thanks again. So nice to know I'm not alone in this.
  • Posted

Hi barb,

Unfortunately this is all part of the process. It's a real waiting game but if you can look at it that this is just how it goes, try and accept it and wait it out. It all sounds familiar to me with what I went through. Keep looking at some of the others posts and you will probably find more information. Hopefully others will come on an give more support and encouragement.  I'm still what I'd call a newbie but I have been through what you have said, although I went through menopause years ago so that is probably compounding it for you.

We are all still here for you smile 

• Posted

Hi barb,

I've been on cit 30mg for 6 weeks now, I am feeling so much better. It was so scary to start with, I've never been on anti d's before and I was scared of all the feelings i was having but just wanted to offer support and say that it will get better in time. I'm starting a stress control group on Monday....X😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.