Just started on Citalopram and....

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

Im on day 3 now and I'm dreading taking the thing, I've had a headache for 3 days now. I woke up this morning feeling so nauseas , I had burning skin sensation, strange visual , stomach cramps. I realised it was a panic attack. I'm really not pleased if this what I need to go through. It scared me ? Is this normal? Should I go back to GP ? anyone experience this side effects?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Janine,

Unfortunately these are side effects of cit. I felt exactly the same I was so frightened as I wasn't told about any side effects from my doctor. It was so bad I had to call the doctor out to my home as I thought I had something seriously wrong with me. I still wasn't told about the side effects. I stopped taking them after a week but still felt as bad so decided to start again and now in day day 15 and feeling a lot better. Stick with it and you will gradually start to feel better it takes a long time, I've been told it can take months to get into your system completely. I found this site and it has been a life saver for me, the people here are so helpful, you can post here any of your worries and you will loads of support and advice.

Take care and best wishes

June x

• Posted

Yes, as June says, these are side effects of the medicine and they're only temporary.  It gets worse before it gets better.  The side effects usually start to wear off after a few weeks.

Personally for me, after 16 years of being ill and nothing seemed to help, starting these meds and suffering with the side effects etc was a small price to pay.  Within 6 months I had recovered and have stayed well ever since.

For me, the side effects were no different to what I was suffering with anyway, so enhancing the symptoms was something I was prepared to suffer with longer as I needed to try something that hopefully would help.  Thank god I did.  I got my life back and absolutely love life now.

It can take a few months to start feeling the benefit of these meds or it can be 6 months or longer.  Some people feel better much quicker.  We're all different.

You need to be quite determined and have lots of patience on these meds.

• Posted

Katecogs,

Your message is incredibly inspiring! Im so proud of you and dont even know you because I felt your pain too... As upsetting as this sounds, I'm glad there are others who know how I feel and are or have been through it and I dont feel alone... so thank you ladies! x

• Posted

Hello Aymaani

Thank you so much xx

You know, I'm now strangely thankful for the painful experience that I went through (not that I'd have said that at the time).  It's helped me look at life differently, appreciate all the things around me and also it enabled me to help my son when he went through the same only last year.  That was worse  watching him than suffering it myself.  With medication, time and family love he's now recovered too which took him about 9 months.

It's comforting knowing you're not alone isn't it.  I never knew anyone else suffered when I was ill  - nobody talked about 'things' like this - I thought it was just me, so kept it to myself and husband all those years.  I now see so many going through that same painful journey I'd been down - thank goodness for sites like this and for everyone to help each other.

Wishing you all the best as you take same journey.  Keep in touch xx

• Posted

Thank you June and Katecogs! I want a better future for myself and a happier me,  and if this is one of the steps I need to take then, I better plod on. 
  • Posted

Hi Janine,

Please do not stop Citaopram, that would be the worst thing because it would mean you would need to start again.... And believe me I dont want this for you and for me either.  I started taking Citaopram on 1st February and im sticking at it.... everyone thats been on it states its the best thing for them so please... persevere and you'll get there. Im still getting there but getting there..... always here if you need to chat. Nadia x

• Posted

Hi janine

Please keep going the first 2 weeks were the worst for me . Horrible strange feeling I was so worried then I found this site .

If feeling down or in doubt I posted on here and the reassurance has been fantastic , you should do the same .

I'm on week 6 and feeling sooooo much better.

Keep posting chick .

Debi x

• Posted

Hi I also started 10mg citalopram 3 days ago. I feel terrible. Severely anxious from the second I open my eyes to the second I go to sleep (that's if I do sleep).

I am constantly being sick throughout the day and have only managed half a bowl of soup and a few grapes in 3 days. I'm now starting to panic about the not eating!

I am 23 and haven't been able to go out at all since starting these. They prescribed me lorazepam but I find that just makes me sleepy but the anxiousness is still there!

I've read Sooo many stories about how it hasn't helped people's anxiety. Has everyone else on it got EXTREME anxiety? Most of my day I am rocking in the corner of the bathroom!

I am on a waiting list for CBT. I literally can't cope and just want to die. I've tried ringing every anxiety place for help/out of hours doctor/mental health crisis team. None of them could help.

I feel so alone.

Help please 😢

• Posted

I so want to reassure you that you will feel better. I'm afraid that it isn't a quick fix though and you do have to stick with it . I have been on 10 mg for just over a month and I cannot emphasise enough the difference that it has made to me . I cannot lie as the first two weeks were dreadful as I felt so ill and seemed to have all the side reflects and I must admit I was tempted to quit after a week , but after joining this forum and taking note of all the advise from other people that were much further along I realised that you have just stick with it , as hard as that is at the time . The alternative for me was unthinkable as I felt so ill anyway with anxiety it couldn't really get any worse . I'm so glad I continued . My problems started following my mums death , as previously I'd never had any problems , very healthy and hadn't been to the doctors for years until then . I couldn't go on like that . Please be strong . If you need anymore advice or just want a chat we are all here for you . Don't stop taking them as there is light at the end of the tunnel even though you may not think it at the moment . Take care . Jane Xx
    • Posted

Thank you for you comforting words Jane. It is so so helpful having people who have gone through the same to talk to.

When did you start feeling less anxious? I have depression as well but I feel like I could deal with that, anxiety has just taken over my life.

I have to go back to the doctors in 2 weeks, not sure if they will up my dose or not. Yes I really could not get any worse at the moment so hopefully things will start looking up!

Sorry to hear about your mums death, like you I was very healthy, rarely go to the doctors. Out of the blue about a month ago I woke up severely anxious.

Were you not able do go out due to how Poorly you were to begin with too? I feel anxious about not going out now! And not eating as I've always been on the slim side and I can just feel the weight dropping off me!

I will be on this forum a lot from now on smile

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Rebecca

I agree with Jane, the first few weeks can be quite rough and it will get better.  Your symptoms often get worse before they get better.  I also had severe anxiety and depression which had lasted for years, and it was only when I started these meds did I recover.

Anxiety is simply your body over-exaggerating to stress.  It's an awful feeling, but with help from these meds it will calm down in time.  It can take a long time for your body to reach its limit or it can happen suddenly due to trauma, but whatever the cause, our paths all lead to the same result.  Heightened anxiety.  The meds will also help the depression - it works on the serotonin (our happy hormones).

Take one day at a time.  Try and eat just a little.  Tiny meals.  Soup is good.  This initial phase will pass and you'll find your appetite will return.

K xx

• Posted

Hello Rebecca . I suppose my anxiety started to lesson after being on the tablets for about 2 weeks . It did increase last week for a few days but I think that was because I was due on and I went back to work after being off for three weeks . Now I am back to eating well which I hadn't really done since my mum became poorly last year ( she died within a month ) . I am like you and cannot afford to lose weight , but I have already put on about 5 pounds in a couple of weeks . Both my husband and daughter has said how much my mood has improved and my anxiety symptoms are nearly almost gone . I hope that I continue to improve . Up until recently I hated being at home on my own and was always trying yo find somewhere to drive to just to be out of the house , but now I am more than happy to be sitting in watching the telly . Please stick with it as you will suddenly feel better . I know these side effects at the start are horrible , but I just thought they couldn't be any worse then the continuous feelings of illness that I'd suffered for months previously . I just needed a bit of help to get back to my old self and hopefully this is what I am doing now . I am thinking of you but you can do it . I'm here if you need a chat Xx
    • Posted

Hi Rebecca,

I've been taking deep breathes and focusing on my breathing to relax. You need to try and relax and This site has helped me too. If you need to chat , I'm here. You are going to be fine . Xxx

Janine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.