Just started Pizotifen, advice needed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I am looking for some advice...

I have migraine related balance disorder (/MAV/Vesitbular migraine).

My neurologist has just prescribed Pizotifen. I already take venlafaxine 37.5mg to help with the anxiety and struggles caused by the condition. I've previously failed with gabapentin and nortriptyline due to side affects and worry that I am highly sensitive to meds sad

I started the Pizotifen 5 days ago, starting low and slow I cut the 500mcg tablet in half and am taking just 250mcg. A baby dose!

I've always struggled to sleep but now I am sleeping 13+hrs a night. Luckily I'm off work sick to trial this so its ok. I have to get my daughter to school which feels like climbing a mountain. I get home and I''m so exhausted and my migraine symptoms are worse I have to rest again. Then I'm waking up 2/3 hours later! I keep falling asleep around the house through the rest of the day. Then by 8pm I'm ready for bed again sad

At the moment I can't imagine being able to up my dose, or function in work on this. It seems to be making my symptoms worse not better.

I have some questions and wondered if anyone could help...

Is it common to feel worse before better?

How do I know if these side effects are a normal part of getting used to it or if this is another one I don't agree with?

Does the fatigue/tiredness get better? Because if not, this is not acceptable to me and I will need to stop.

Does anybody understand the mechanism of how it can help MAV?

I've briefly read it blocks serotonin in the brain... therefore is it counteracting the effects of my venlafaxine?

I'm worried about weight gain as I have disc problems in my back and have worked very hard and spent a lot of money with my PT over the past 12 months to get to a healthy condition. I eat a strict diet, will this help my to control it or does it also affect your metabolism?

There doesn't seem to be much information out there about this drug!! It'd be great to hear from the people who take it.

Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi kerrie77173,

Sorry to hear about your plight it sounds awful but I have some empathy with you regarding this dreadful affliction. I was diagnosed with cluster migraine on Sept 2016 and spent 5,days in Hospital going through all kinds of tests as you've probably experienced yourself? I was prescribed Amatryptaline which I suffered for 1,month but could not bear the side effects (tired,sleepy,dizzy very low mood) and still getting headaches. Propranolol was my next trial & error drug which I tried for 2, months but also could not endure side effects (most of which you stated). Apparently I was unbearable to be around? In fact I feel quite angry & get agitated really easily,not me at all. My GP suggested Pizotifen 0.5 mg in March 2017 & I have not looked back although I have found the weight gain an issue? Actually bothers me a lot but the good news is I've had no migraine. I do get tired a lot and did at the beginning struggle to sleep but I'm conflicted? Come off to reduce my weight and possibly trigger a migraine or stay on them & be an angry woman?? I hope you find some solution or peace?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.