Just started Propranolol for anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I am taking 10mg citalopram in the evenings for anxiety, although they worked for a few years my anxiety is back and this morning I started on 40mg propranolol in addition to the Citalopram. I felt really tired today but no change in anxiety. Can anyone tell me if they take a while to kick in and if the tiredness will pass? I think I was hoping for a miracle cure and feel a little disappointed. Thank you 😊

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

The theory behind beta blockers like propranolol is that they can help you achieve a bit of relief from anxiety by lowering the blood pressure; working to inhibit the fight or flight response - it's shown to work against some of the stress hormones and neurotransmitters. You can read all about it on Wikipedia.

It's very safe and I've used it on and off for years. At the end of the day, it's not a wonderdrug but it can help to take the edge off things when you're feeling very tense. Generally, it doesn't do much for a noisy mind - but if it helps relax your body, it can have a knock on effect to also calm the mind.

I've generally found the 80mg extended-release dose works a little better; you can take it once in the morning and it'll stay in your system throughout the day. However you'll find your hands and feet a little colder.

Try taking some deep breaths and focusing on what your senses - what you can touch, smell, feel and see - right in this very moment. If you can stay focused on your senses and let any worries pass over, it might help to ease the anxiety a bit better when you notice it coming back.

• Posted

Little tricks like that can help you in getting some synergistic relief from slowing down and letting the citalopram and propranolol do the rest of the work smile
    • Posted

Hello Chris,

Sounds like you are pretty clued up on this. With anxiety I get shortness of breath, if I am distracted the feeling goes away. Do you think the synergy of these drugs will stop this given time? Heart tests all ok. Thank you, Gill.

• Posted

It could do - but you'd have to wait and see. Propranolol largely works outside the brain so it's good for the physical sensations of anxiety. There is evidence it works on norepinephrine - so giving it a while to balance out could help. Propranolol can make you tired since it lowers the blood pressure and slows you down a bit - another reason why I find the extended release better since it's a smoother 'all-day' release formulation.

With the citalopram, if it's worked so far for the anxiety but been a bit iffy lately you might find going up a dose does the trick. There are downsides to this though - as if you experience any side effects like tiredness - they could get worse (or better). Though it's best not to think about it as you won't know until you try.

I'd say discuss with your doctor if it'd be possible, a bump to 20mg might do the trick. It's not a particularly high dose if I remember citalopram dosing correctly (starts out about 10mg). Be sure to get some good books for anxiety to help you along if you haven't already. A lot of them have some good tips that'll go along way. Using both you'll essentially be even more powerful at kicking anxiety in the butt! Which is always good.

• Posted

Oh and drink tea! It contains theanine (which reduces anxiety) and is a nice gentle way to get caffeine.
    • Posted

Hi Chris, thank you again. It's my second day today on propranolol and no real side effects. I believe they are helping and because I take it in the morning I know I have the citalopram to back it up later. I drink decaf tea because I take anadin extra each day and they contain caffeine. I have recently purchased a book entitled Sane New World by Ruby Wax, it's all to do with mindfulness. I'm not sure it's doing me any good but it's very amusing because she is such a funny lady. It brings a smile to my face if nothing else. I'll bear in mind increasing the citalopram if this doesn't work once again thanks for your help. Regards Gill.
    • Posted

Chamomile tea helps with anxiety

No caffeine

It's helped me for years...it doesn't make it go away but it helps to calm and soothe you.

• Posted

You did lyme investigation brother mainly western blot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.