Just started Selincro today - would anyone like to join me with this journey

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been drinking too much for a long time now.  I have had Selincro Tablets in the cupboard since April, when I tried taking the side effect where too bad so I  gave up.  I am trying again and on my 4th day, with headaches, lack of sleep and feeling unwell, but I am determined in trying to achieve this as every year I make a promise that this year I will change.  

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You can do this. I'm on my 7th day (without Meds). Tonight will be hard, as I'd usually get a bottle. But honestly, this week I've felt great. I've booked a Spin class instead. When you feel you'll struggle, just message on here and I can (try) and give you some words of encouragement. There is a previous post created by Brookeoxoxo there are some great tips on there! smile

• Posted

I'm sure Joanna will pop in, but in the mean time, here is some general guidance she usually offers.

The first couple of nights taking it, don't go out, stay at home and drink. Take your tablet with and meal and drink water. This should offset some of the side effects and it is easier for you if you can seat on the sofa and take it easy. Don't take the tablet on days that you don't drink, always take it on the days that you do and allow the full two hour wait.

The side effects do wear off and you will feel feel better when you start to kick alcohol.

• Posted

Thanks as always, RHGB!

Been busy here - our first YouTube video about The Sinclair Method goes onto YouTube this weekend, so I've been making some last minute editing changes and I've had to learn how to do all this stuff from scratch.

Anyway, always appreciate your input.

je52117 - RHGB is absolutely correct in what he has said here.  Remember that this isn't a magic pill - at all.

But what it is is a medication that will prevent the chemical reaction of reward that happens in your brain when you drink.  This means that now you are no longer being driven to continue drinking, it gives you the opportunity to think about it, and consider if you think you are satisfied with what you have had.  When you get that signal, you need to work with the medication (it's a partnership between you and the tablet), recognise it and start to work on learning ways to put the drink down.

Over time, now that alcohol is no longer providing your brain's reward mechanism with a reward, it will slowly begin to lose it's appeal and your brain will stop thinking about drinking.

Some people are prescribed Selincro for this, others are prescribed naltrexone.  So, I am sure that others will also join the conversation who have successfully used naltrexone.  When he sees your message, ADEfree will comment I am sure.  As might Julie, whose husband has also been successful with naltrexone.  And maybe Nat too, who has used Selincro, I believe.

So, hopefully you will get lots of good hints and tips to follow soon. biggrin

• Posted

Great reply as usual Joanna.
    • Posted

Thank you, Robin.  I do enjoy the support for each other on this forum.  It's real, practical help rather than the woe is me attitude that is so prevalent on other forum.

• Posted

That is so true Joanna. Good luck with all your hard work. You tube is not easy. Well done you
  • Posted

Can I ask, and I am sorry if it sounds a silly question - are the meds prescribed a continuous tablet you have to keep taking and if so, for how long?

Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Selincro is taken 2 hours prior to drinking (naltrexone is 1 hour) every single time someone drinks.  So, at first that will likely be quite often.  As the craving extinction process starts to kick in, then drinking becomes less and less so the need for the tablet becomes less and less.

Once Pharmacological Extinction of all cravings had occurred, then someone can either chose to go comfortably abstinent, or they can continue to drink but always with the tablet first.

If drinking resumes at any point without the tablet, then the brain will re-learn the association that alcohol is giving it a chemical reward again.

It isn't as bad as it sounds though, since when the desire to drink is gone, then the need to drink is gone and it really does become a choice.

For me, I drink maybe 15-20 times a year socially (usually when a good wine will compliment a meal) so I only take 15-20 tablets a year.  For example, last month I went away for a weeks holiday in Amsterdam where they do very tasty beers.  So, I was able to take a tablet prior to a drink with a meal in a restuarant and because the reward was blocked, it was no bother and my brain didn't start to associate alcohol with a chemical reward.  It still tasted nice etc, it's just that my brain didn't 'remember' it tasting nice.  Since I've been back home, I've not drank once so not needed any tablets at all. 

I used to throw far more paracetamol down me weekly in an attempt to kill the hangovers!

PS it's not a sill question at all, and is actually quite a common question biggrin

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Are there any side affects and do I need to get them prescribed?

K.

• Posted

As with all medications, there can be some initial side effects but there are steps you can take to keep these to a minimum.  And it's totally individual as to what they are, but usually either tiredness and/or sleeplessness, and some disorientation and/or nausea.  This is true when beginning a number of medications and the short term discomfort (if you feel it) is well worth the long term benefits that these medications can provide.

And yes, these are prescription-only medications.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.