Just started taking Citalopram(Celexa)

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been dealing with anxiety my entire life and after my Dad passed 4 years ago I developed a panic disorder. I went through a super hard time after that and somehow managed to pull myself out of it when I found out I was pregnant. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden all my symptoms started coming back... Chest pain, dizziness, anxiety, panic, inability to be alone, etc. I can't be acting like this now with an almost 3 year old to take care of so I saw my Dr yesterday and he started me on Citalopram(Celexa) 20 mg and also gave me hydroxyzine to take as needed for anxiety/panic. I took my first does of Citalopram last night before bed and I slept for abkut 3/4 hours before being jolted awake by my chest feeling super cold/tingly and then a racing heartbeat and then the cold/tingly feeling spread to my hands/feet. I somehow managed to get back to sleep only for a little bit and all day today I've been beyond exhausted, on and off dizzy, had to take a nap which I absolutely never do and just generally feel completely awful. My skin feels numb/tingly,blurry vision. My calves are sore for some reason too. I feel super high/out of it. Is this normal for Citalopram? I can't stand feeling like this and am terrified to take another dose tonight. I just want to feel better and be able to sleep.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Rooski

I was the same I started 10mg of Citalopram 11 days ago and the first 5 days weren't nice my anxiety heightened and I had some of the side affects you had but I am so glad I stick with them and I'm on my 11th da well I take them at night and I'm not tired anymore and my anxiety has just about gone I couldn't leave my house the first 5 days but went into the busy town yesterday and was so chuffed with myself. Please give them a go they do work

• Posted

I'm so glad they are working for you. There's no way I can deal with those side effects. I don't have any support that would put up with the craziness of that med long enough for the side effects to subside.

• Posted

Hi it sounds dad like they didn't agree with you and hope you get some that do and help you feel better soon

• Posted

I had the worst panic attack last night I just couldn't calm down, the tingly chest and body, woke up anxious, my brains telling me there's something wrong, even tho deep down I know it's anxiety, I've had a very good few days then last night I exploded, I'm constantly pulse checking and my heart rate feels fast, I just could not get my brain to switch off, but I'm now having more good days than bad so I'm thankful for that, just need to keep my brain distracted today and hope that helps, my routine was different yesterday and I didn't eat until late so I think that's the trigger, I need to keep to the same routine for now,

• Posted

Hi Nicki yes your right keeping busy is the key and you will get there. This forum is great being able to share experiences and know that most of us suffer worst anxiety with Cit at first
    • Posted

Hi Nikki I'm sorry to here that are you ok today? I've woke up panicking really bad today think it's because I have a head cold but just don't feel with it, I really hope we all get there xx

• Posted

Sorry I didn't see ur reply, I've been on the meds now just over two weeks and I can't believe the difference already, less anxious and feel like I'm me again, I'm still a bit on another planet and sleeping more than normal but it's so nice to feel like me, I cherish every good day, how are u doing x

• Posted

I'm ok mostly, I still panic most days feel more relaxed but just need to get this panic disorder under control x

• Posted

I've had anxiety on and off for about 20 yrs now, and once your brain starts being more relaxed everyday does get better, u don't always realise how well ur doing because of the anxiety, I used to keep a diary of my good moments and bad times, and I noticed everyday was a little bit better, it's just training ur brain to be positive, (easier said and done I know) I will never be 100% free of it but I'm happy knowing it isn't 24/7 anymore,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.