Just Started Taking Fibristal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 47 year old woman and I have been dealing with fibroids for the past 5 years. I started with 3 and now have 11. The largest at my last ultrasound was 8cm. Unlike a lot of women, I want a hysterectomy These have only gotten worse every year that passes by. My flow is like a waterfall and a Super Plus tampon lasts me 15 minutes. I also have to wear incontinence underwear because the flow is so bad that it literally gushes and will ruin my clothes, not to mention, put me in a very embarrassing situation. The pain is very similar to contractions and no over the counter pain killers do anything at all. I am woken up in the middle of the night from the pain. With the pressure that is placed on the rest of my organs I also have to wear bladder control underwear everyday because I will pee myself with no warning whatsoever! Another issue is no sex for the past 4 years either. Pain is not suppose to be a part of that, but when you have fibroids, it is. These fibroids have truly ruined my life and I can't wait to be rid of my uterus. I am on day 3 of taking Fibristal (I live in BC) and so far the pain is just as bad, bleeding seems to be even more now and the blood clots are a lot bigger too. I am hoping this passes in the next day or so. I was told the bleeding should stop within two days of taking the Fibristal, so I am still hopefully by tomorrow it will have stopped. I will be taking this for 3 months then have another ultrasound to see how my hysterectomy will be performed. Cutting open my stomache, or to have my uterus removed through the vagina.   

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi C,

Sorry that you are going through such a difficult time. I was suffering similarly to you but with only 4 fibroids that were causing all that bleeding and discomfort. My largest was 13 cm and smallest was 2 cm. I am slightly older than you and decided to have a uterine fibroid embolization. I did not want my uterus out, if at all possible. The fibroids were disrupting my exercise routine and life in general. I bet you had anemia as well. I know I did and was taking supplements to help as well as ate iron enriched foods as much as possible. I had my procedure back in October and had 3 very light periods and nothing for 2 months now. I read that with an embolization it may throw a woman into menopause, which perhaps is happening. I will be seeing a gyne soon.

Best of luck with your procedure or surgery! You are not alone!

• Posted

Hi Cindy! I do have to take an iron supplement because I was anemic. I find that it has helped with the feeling of being tired all the time and having no energy. I am glad to read that you were able to have a procedure that helped you without having your uterus removed. Thank you for your post! I am glad to see I am not alone in this!   
  • Posted

Hi!  Did the Fibristal stop the bleeding?  I see that this medication may shrink the fibroids, if so, then would there be other options for removal of the fibroids?  I had not even heard of this medication until reading your post.  I wish you lots of luck and hope the pain subsides soon.
    • Posted

Hi Cindy! I started taking the fibristal on day two of my period and it did not stop the bleeding as it states. It continued for 6 days total, with heavier bleeding, larger blood clots and the pain was still the same.  I will see how it goes over the next month and if things do not change, will have to see the gynecologist sooner than expected. Here's hoping the next month goes better. 

• Posted

Forgot to mention that the fibristal may shrink the fibroids, but they come back. When you stop taking fibristal they will start growing again. The medication is only a temporary fix as I can see from the information. In my case, I do not want them back so that is why I am going through with a hysterectomy. 5 years of this is long enough. I am not having any more children and I am happy to be rid of my period. The doctor said that I could still go another 5 years before I hit menopause.  
    • Posted

Hi C,

I can totally understand your wanting the hysterectomy at your age because there is still a potential of fibroid growth before you get to menopause. In the end, whatever surgery or less invasive surgery you go through, getting back the life and energy you had before the disruption of fibroids is important. I found that my gynecologists could only perform either a hysterectomy, put me on pills, or an ablation, but I chose to seek out an interventional radiologist who was able to do the UFE. I had done so much research since I was hoping to keep my uterus. We shall see how this works, so far so good. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi c68410

I've taken Fibristal for 3 months before my hysterectomy; it did not help me to shrink stuff but I know that it works for other women. I had also pretty uneasy side effects like hot flushes, which continued for a while even after I stopped taking it, and some headaches,... These are  common side effects, so, expected,  but it also caused me hair loss and shrank my breasts. That was pretty frustrating (got reversed after I stopped taking it but not like 100%) I mean, it gave me a break/ relief from heavy bleeding and pain but it is not heaven, either.

And recently, on this site, I've read that it was flagged in the UK bcause it may cause liver damage. Now women on Fibristal needs  to do frequent liver test there. I did not have any problem on that side, 3 months is not that long anyway.

I just wanted to let you guys know about it in case you may not have heard...

And good luck with your plan for hysterectomy! I had one (48 years old) and I do not  regret having it! (The downside so far has been insomnia from time to time and a feeling of dryness down there. BTW, I do not know how other ladies deal with the dryness, pretty uncomfortable at times)

Good luck to you!

xx

• Posted

Hi Su2017! Thank you for your input and experience. I too have headaches on a daily basis and hot flashes. I will only be on the fibristal for 3 months and then on to my hysterectomy. I too, will more than likely not regret my decision considering the hell I have been through over the past 5 years.  I just want this over with. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.