Just started today - erm...!?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

Just started today as I was prescribed medication yesterday.

However, I'm a little lost. My GP was very 'whatever' so I don't have any guidelines other than lose 1stone within 12 weeks. I must have been in and out within 4 minutes sad

I asked if all fats are equal to Orlistat (i.e. oily fish/avocado Vs. Fatty meat) so I should reduce healthy fats too but my doc just told me "they aren't that fatty anyway".

Also I have no idea how much fat I can have, if any? What is suitable?

My leaflet he gave me and the insert in the box advise me to follow my GP diet guidelines. I have lactose and wheat allergy so I'm concerned I'm going to be losing a variety of vitamins and energy by just cutting out anything I don't understand.

I'm sorry if this has been answered already.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I was in the same boat as you , i knew nothing after i left the docs, then i found this group, read thru the previouws posts and got my answers, your allowed 45g of fat a a day, 15g per meal, don't go over 5g per 1005 of fat on food items also x i have lost nearly 4 stone since september, went from a size 20 on top to a 14 and a size 22 on bottom to a 16 smile xx
  • Posted

The healthy fats are no no as these tablets don't know the diff. As said before nothing over 5g of fat per 100g. Plenty of fruit veg lean meat and fish smile I used my fitness pal app to check fat content if it wasn't in a packet or tin 😁 good luck
  • Posted

Thank you both smile

I was quite disappointed with how my doctor done it - almost like I was a problem child looking for attention!

I don't eat a diet high in "bad" fat but I eat a fair amount of nuts, eggs, oily fish and avocado so I guess I have to re look at my diet now!

That's a really amazing loss, well done!!

• Posted

Yes defo as avocado is about 30g so unless u want a accident defo no!! No nuts either!! The side effects r grim orange oil just pours out no stopping it. If I was u I'd eat healthy low fat for a couple of days before starting the tablets as u might still poo💩💩😳
    • Posted

egg yolks have on average 5g of fat just in the yolk x i no longer eat eggs
    • Posted

I was always ok with eggs. I found odd things I could go up to 6-7g of fat and was ok. Go a heads are 7g and I was ok with them.
    • Posted

I've been eating 2 boiled eggs every day and been absolutely fine! I'm veggie so I find it hard to find things to eat! I use myfitnesspal to check fat and it says that in boiled eggs the fat is around 3g? So confusing! 
  • Posted

You have to loose 5% of your body weight over 3 months your allowed no more that 45% fat in a day the rest will come out other end if you go over x
  • Posted

It's not that hard them really I guess. Thanks guys smile

Mt egg carton says eggs are exactly 5 per 100. May be it depends on the size etc?

Hoping I don't eat too much fat I already have IBS...!! No problems yesterday so looking good.

• Posted

Just keep track of your fat. The tablets take a good week to get into your system. I found things I was ok with the 1st wk I couldn't eat after a couple of weeks once the tablets kicked in.

I love salmon but even though it's good for you it's still too high in fat!! I didn't check and it wasn't nice💩

• Posted

I have had no side effects, eating low fat diet, have had a little avocado and egg as I am vegetarian, but no effects. Been on Orlistat for 2 weeks and lost nothing but have lost 18cms overall so I guess it is doing its job somehow! Would be nice to see the scales moving too though!

• Posted

The avocado is just 2 thin slices btw, not a quarter of one or anything like that!! 
    • Posted

I've been on it for a week today and lost 3lbs! I've been eating a lot of eggs though I do admit, being veggie!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.