Just started using Dynasplint to get leg straight!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Well, I am at 7 weeks. My bend is good but I'm still between +6 to +8 on my straightening (with much pushing by PT). Got my splint yesterday. Could only use it for 1 hour. Some of the exercises are just too painful. I wish this was easier.

😪

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Wow! One hour! I'm also at 7 weeks with the oppposite problem. Got dynasplint about 10 days ago for bending. Supposed to use 3 times a day for 20-30 mins. Can't get beyond 10 mins with leg at about 80 degrees. So painful.

• Posted

Gosh, Terri. We are in the same boat! I never imagined recovery would be this hard. Too bad we aren't in the same house with our splints on trying to tick off the minutes! Ugh!!!

• Posted

Ha! Yes, I guess misery loves company. What I've learned since having the surgery is that there's such a wide range for recovery as far as pain and progress. It's definitely frustrating. I'm so glad I found this forum since it's hard to talk about it to people who haven't gone through it. Plus, I have a next door neighbor who brags that he was playing golf after one month & only needed pain meds for a week. I kind of hate him. 😜

• Posted

Throw something over the fence into his garden... like a tonne of snail's!

• Posted

Sorry to hear things at hard. It probably doesn't help much but I remember a lot of pain from all the work to straighten and keep straight it will and does get better. .Keep at it .

• Posted

Terri and Jenny...lol! Don't you hate those posts...

"Had TKR in both knees, three days ago, and I just ran a 7K yesterday. No pain, no meds, sleeping like a baby, no scar and, oh, no physical therapy either."

🙄Well, only in my dreams!! In reality, I am just trying to do one day at a time. Sometimes, one hour at a time. Speaking of that, back to my brace.... smile

• Posted

Was it your surgon or PT that recommended the splint? PT says they will not measure me again until I complete my 12 prescribed visits (I have 3 to go). My doctor said I look good and that he would see me in a few months. I see everyone talking about their numbers but I have no numbers to gauge my progress. I know my leg is not straight at 6 weeks and my bend still needs improving. I feel I am doing well but can't help but wonder. In the beginning they couldn't seem to measure me enough! What made them decide to use the splint instead of more therapy or time?

• Posted

Hi Mommer...at my 6 week follow-up with my surgeon, he ordered the splint for the next 6 weeks. He said, "Okay, I want you at zero in 6 weeks.". That kinda scared me. This is in addition to my three pt sessions each week. Not sure if I can do that, but I am trying to be Zen. (Chico). Trying not to get down on myself. Trying not to compare. Not sure why your pt isn't giving you your ROM measurements. Maybe he doesn't want you to worry? I'm sure you could ask for them... Take care!!!! 🌺

• Posted

Thanks for the update and the encouragement. At my 6 week checkup I asked the surgeon about my leg getting straight and the stiffness, since he had been so concerned earlier on, but he assured me that it would come. This may have been him thinking my progress was good perhaps? I will double check with PT this week (again) to see if I can get a measurement. Not that I want to compare but I would kind of like to know my progress. I guess each doctor is different. I know eight years ago when I had my right knee done none of this was an issue ( different doctor, he retired). Thinking back, I must have made very good progress then. This knee has been a bit more challenging ( but then I'm also eight years older)!

• Posted

My surgeon ordered the Dynasplint at my 6 wk post op. He didn't need to measure. Just listened to what I said & saw what happened when he tried to push me to 90. Still doing PT 3x wk as well.

• Posted

Hi 2need1knee -- I started to use the DynaSplint about 3 weeks ago because my bend went down to 100 or sometimes can go up to 110. I have not seen any difference yet. I am going to use it for another month and see if my bend improves. If not I am going to return it. I do have pain after I sit on a chair and use it to an hour. I use 2 - one when I sit for the bend and the other one when I sleep. But the pain is tolerable. Please let me know how you do with the DanaSplint. You are the only one that has mentioned that is using it. When I first got it I started a discussion but no one responded. Thanks J-21370
    • Posted

Hi J...so, tell me, how far along are you post op? You can bend up to 110? What about straightening?? I am uncomfortable wearing mine. I feel so restless. Like claustrophobic. It's all new for me though.

I'm going to try to stay positive. Are you doing pt also?

• Posted

HI 2need1knee -

I am 8 months post op TKR. My problem is my bend. At 2 months I have reached 120 on my flexion. However, my mother was in the hospital and I got on a plane to go see her in NY. After that my knee bend went down to 95. I honestly don't know what happened. Since December I have been trying to get my bend to at least120. I went back to my surgeon on January 26 and he wanted to do a manipulation and I opted to go back to PT. I was afraid of starting all over. With the swollen and the PT. All together I had 50 PT sessions. Plus I always went to the gym. I am still exercising at the gym every other day. I don't have the pain like I used to, but it still hurts. Sometimes I still have to ice my knee. I should have had the manipulation. However, I did not know about this forum and the wealth of information that other people like us provide. Many blessings to all of them for their experience and helping us with their advice. In March I had to returned to NY and I went to see my Mom's doctor and he and his collegue suggested the DynaSplint. I am going to use it for another month and see how it goes. I do not have problem with the straightening of the leg only the bend. I could walk, drive and do much of everything, but I alwalysvbeen active and I want to at least reach my goal, which is 120. My knee is very stiff when I use the DynaSplint, but after exercise it goes away. I also have Fibromyalgia for over 30 years. The doctor thinks that that could be part of the problem. You could write to me anytime. Take care, J-21370.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.