Just started venlafaxine

Posted , 8 users are following.

I finally plucked up the courage to take venlafaxine last night and guess what, no side effects! Anyway I didn't have a good night's sleep cos I took around 9pm at night, my doctor said to take a 37.5mg in the morning and a 37.5mg at night, but because I had a bad nights sleep can I just take the 75mg in the morning?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You won't have side-effects until blood concentration levels start to rise. 3 days usually. These may include nausea and some mild confusion. Restless sleep and temporary worsening of symptoms. After 1 week to 10 days the reactions should begin to stabilize. First proper symptom relief can begin to show up around 4 weeks into treatment.

If your doctor has prescribed standard release / regular release variety then please do not change the way he asked you to administer. Stick to two separate doses. What you can do is move the first dose to as early as possible in the day in order to take the second by late afternoon latest. It may help take the edge off. However sleep quality will likely be poor for the first month at least until your body adjusts.

The reason for 2 separate doses is that regular release variety has a short half-life. Taking two allows for more even distribution which helps your body reach equilibrium. Taking regular release tabs as single dose would cause too many ups and downs and can be detrimental to therapy progress or even make it much worse.

If I am wrong and your medication is slow/extended release variety, please speak to your doctor about administering as single dose or at least one morning and one lunchtime (that is legitimate for that particular variety too in some cases).

All the best. 

• Posted

Ty so much for this response 😊 it's not extended slow release so I'll keep it one morning and one night. I did a straight swap from sertraline because this did nothing for me. I hope these work ! I just want to feel like my normal self again. It's been a long time since I felt like my normal self (over a year!) Ty again.

• Posted

Hi! I wish you not to feel like your 'normal' self again. I wish you to feel clearer and upgraded as a result of this experience, which can be a blessing in disguise if we recognize the need in us that brought us to this point. It is not just an inconvenience. It is your best mechanism for reaching a much sounder ground. Much love and all the best.

• Posted

Hi , 

i am having to ween off venlafaxine. My blood pressure went way up when I went up to 150. I have been on Lexapro 10 for three weeks and hope it works.  Feeling hopeless right now.

• Posted

Hi Pamela. Like you I've just switched from sertraline to venaflaxine. Started today. How you finding them now? X

• Posted

Hi there,  I just noticed your post,   

I suggest, it would be a good idea to check that it is ok with the doctor to do this.  There will be a reason for 

giving you the dosage in two parts.  You could check whether it is the longer life Venlafaxine. as my under

standing is that the medicine, last 12 hours.  So 1 dose higher may just be in your system for 12 instead of 

24 hours.  This could affect the reason you are taking it. 

Just though id say in case you didnt know. 

• Posted

Ty for your reply. The doctor told me to take one at night and one in the morning
  • Posted

I'm rather pleased to hear no side effects 'yet' as they can take a few days to materialize, just keep an eye for nausea, constipation, headaches etc etc. I would personally stick to just that 37.5mg because ALOT of Venlafaxine patients are struggling big time to taper down once you hit  over 75mg. Does it say in the leaflet what to do if you've missed a dose ?

• Posted

I'm rather pleased to hear no side effects 'yet' as they can take a few days to materialize, just keep an eye for nausea, constipation, headaches etc etc. I would personally stick to just that 37.5mg because ALOT of Venlafaxine patients are struggling big time to taper down once you hit  over 75mg. Does it say in the leaflet what to do if you've missed a dose ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.