Just starting

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Just found this space while researching side effects of Orlistat. This is more like it real live people with real live experiences. I cant believe its come to this actually - feeling ashamed. the nurse asked me last year if I wanted to try it and I vehemently refused! But I've lost over two stone and put it back on since then so after 20 years of trying the hard way here I come.....

Starting at a nice round (no pun intended) 18 stone. Away for the weekend so I'm starting on Monday (really scared about the posibility of incontinence!)

Peaty :roll:

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I also weigh 18 stone and recieved orlistat today. I am starting tomorrow. I wish you all the luck in the world, and hope that the side effects are minimal, even though they do not really seem that bad if we will be lighter in a few weeks.

I was wondering if anyone had any low fat recipe tips to aide me in my dieting habits........i have used a few for a while now and want some more variety.

Once again, Good Luck Peaty :D

• Posted

Good luck both!

You'll find some of it is trial and error… I've found meals that should be fine (home cooked chilli with no oil added and using very lean butchers mince), have actually given me side effects. The side effects… are unpleasnt, but aren't horrendous. All I would say, if you're going to be having a 'risky' meal, try to do it at the weekend when you're at home, just to be on the safe side.

I have a great low fat recipe for you smile

I call it Pitta Pizzas

Ingredients

Pack of pitta breads

Tomato Puree and BBQ Sauce

1-2 Chicken Breasts

Freshly chopped corriander

So it's this simple - grill the pittas so they are warmed and slightly crispy. At the same time, grill your chicken (1 breast per 3 pittas). When the pittas are done take them off the gril and put to one side, then when the chicken is done, cut it into thin strips. Get the tomato pureer/BBQ sauce and cover the pittas in it (use whichever you prefer - I usually do 1 x tomato puree and 2 x BBQ sauce base), then arrange the sliced chicken on top of the pittas and top off with a twist of black pepper and the corriander (as much as you like). Then put it back under the grill to warm the tomato puree/BBQ sauce and serve smile Really simple and tasty meal that is really low in fat.

I don't know if you've read any of my other posts, but the rule of thumb I go by (as advised by my nurse) is don't eat anything that's got more than 5g of Fat (total) per 100g. Stick to that and you'll be fine smile You'll find things like pot noodles have less than 5g of fat - just don't add the sachets of 'seasoning oil' and things like that.

As a tip, also totally give up cheese, butter/margerine and oil - if you have any, I'd put money that you'll get a reaction - I know I have.

Thanks,

Fand smile

• Posted

thanks to both of you! the recipe looks cool but i have a wheat intolerance which makes me incontinent anyway :oops: so it narrows life a lot. Lurve wheat free pasta tho fabby stuff.

D's girl good to meet another person at the same point good luck for the weekend I'm starting on Monday so let me know how you go. :lol:

Peaty

• Posted

Hi and welcome.

The pitta pizza sounds great, but if you can't eat wheat, try a base of seasoned instant mash, bake it till crisp before topping.

Good Luck, and don't forget to enrol with MAP the helpline run by Roche, who make Orlistat, you'll need the serial number from the box of tablets. call them on [b:590e877ea6]08007317138[/b:590e877ea6], they send you lots of information and give you a call to see how you're getting on.

Hope this helps

Gill

xxx

• Posted

hey guys lemon and rocket risotto!!!

heat some fry light in a pain and some low fat mar - use half a pack of arborio rice (this serves 2-3) coat it in the marge then add the zest of a lemon chooped onion and some garlic

get some vegi stock on the go - you will need about 2 pints. (oxo cube is fine) and add a little bit at a time so the rice doesnt dry out, keep going until rice is cooked, then rip up some rocket, or spinich if you prefer and stir into the rice. leave it so it reduces and then serve ! x

• Posted

thanks Gill,

I'll have a go with the mash - called MAP but they referred me to the website as all info is thro there from now on.

Just started no ill effects so far apart from popping sounds in my tum :oops:

Peaty

• Posted

Oooh another mix of the risotto is a Chicken and Sweetcorn one, here's how I do it smile

Half a bag of Arborio rice

Marigold Vegetable Boullion (veg stock)

2 Chicken Breasts

Couple handfulls sweetcorn

Boil the chicken, but add 4-5 heaped teaspoons of the boullion to the water, this really helps flavour it. Make up about 4-6 pints of veg stock, and simmer the rice, adding stock 2 ladels at a time until the rice is plump and cooked (during this time add the desired amount of sweetcorn too).

Drain and add the chicken to the risotto, add salt and black pepper to taste, serve.

I also make a lot of vegetable rice (boil the rice, add a few teaspoons of the boullion, add peas and sweetcorn and any other veg you like), drain and serve smile Almost no fat in it, and it's tasty and filling smile

• Posted

Thanks for that - been wondering how to make a stock without fat in it!! Will try tonight. Lost 4 lbs in two days - pretty amazing! :P

Had a stinker of a migrane yesterday which I dont normally get - going to drink more today and see if that helps. But on the whole feeling really good! Lots of chocolate at work yesterday but knowing the consequences of chocolate just took any temptation away! Made a yummy chicken and sweetcorn broth last night bulked up with brown rice and mash potatoe flakes the kids are in heaven as they love new food! Hubby is even being supportive for once!

Hows everyone else doing? :?:

Peaty

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.