Just starting lexapro-next steps

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi-I just started lexapro, 5 mg for a week (on day four) then 10 mg for a week, 15 mg, etc. I was on Prozac for about eight weeks and it made me too jittery. So, now switching. Don't know what to expect. Today I feel jittery, maybe prozac is still in my system? How long will it take to feel better or know pro is out? I thanks!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi! Feeling jittery at the beginning with Lexapro is totally normal. I've taken Lexapro two different times and Prozac once. The Prozac was a nightmare for me, side effects were endless. Both times getting back on Lexapro, I've found that side effects last around two weeks. Each time you increase, side effects will start over. I take 10 mgs and started to see huge improvements after just a week or so. It's a great drug, for me anyway. I hope you have success with it as well. Good luck to you!

• Posted

hi-thanks for the response! you think? i wondering if it's the cross over from the pro to lex that is making it worse. i am on such a low dose so far, didn't think it would effect me. what were some of your side effects? how long have you been on it? 

• Posted

I've been back on Lexapro since February. Before that I took it for 6 years. Was on Prozac for a miserable 15 weeks. I think making a direct switch from one SSRI to another can ease some of the withdrawal you would otherwise feel. My side effects were jitteriness and increased anxiety, fatigue, insomnia and headaches. You may find that 10 mgs is enough for you. I tried once to increase to 20 and that was too much for me. But everyone is different, you'll know what you need.

• Posted

thanks jennifer! this is helpful. i have the same side effects right now. my doc wants me to eventually bump up to 20 mg, but i want to see how it goes with lower dosages first. how long did it last? 
    • Posted

My side effects never lasted more than a couple of weeks. As soon as they would subside, I would start noticing an improvement with my anxiety. If you can hang in there thru the start-up phase, I bet you'll be feeling great in no time!

• Posted

here's hoping! i am tired of trying all these new meds! getting old. 

• Posted

Hi. I was switched from Zoloft to Lexapro straight across. I'm on 10 mg and have the following symptoms. Not all day, but I'm just wondering when they will start to pass? I'm on day 5 of 10 mg.

jittery

Fast heartbeat at times

Night sweats

Tingling muscles

Increased anxiety

Insomnia

Thank you!

• Posted

I took 5 mg for 4 weeks then upped to 10 mg since then.  At the start of 5 mg and at the start of 10 mg, I had mild symptoms - fatigue (not bad, just felt tired but still was able to work all day, work out, do the normal things I would do and go to bed at a normal time)  and mild nausea (never actually vomited, but felt like I might a few times, the sensation would come on suddenly and be gone just as quick, just a few seconds of discomfort once or twice a day).  These mild symptoms all subsided within 7 days but times.  On 5 mg, I did have an increase in anxiety, similar to what you are describing around day 5.  I feel like I was a little on edge for 3 or 4 days but it passed.  

I started to feel good around 4 weeks in, on the 5 mg, but still had moments of anxiety breakthrough.  Now, on 10 mg, I have far less moments of anxiety breakthrough.  It probably took about 4-5 weeks after being on 10 mg to get to that point.

• Posted

hi--thanks for the response. it sounds promising! i will be on 5mg till this saturday than bump up to 10 mg. i guess the prozac is still in my system (20 mg) so maybe it's all combining together to make me feel off. i dont feel bad otherwise---just jittery and a bit anxious feeling. i am hoping once it all events out, it will be fine. 

• Posted

I have been on Lexapro for 4 years and it works great for me.  The first month was a bit hairy, as the nausea lasted for 1-2 weeks.  But I was able to feel the beneficial effects of the Lexpro rather quickly, so I was willing to deal with the initial side effects.  This should ease within the first month.  I take Lexpro for anxiety and it has improved my life significantly...Best of Luck to you!  
    • Posted

thanks! i do feel okay--i just have these jitters and some anxiety. i hoping it will get better in the weeks to come!! UGH. what dose are you on now? 
  • Posted

Hi mere03725,

May I know if there has been any updates? Any relief from the side effects of jitters and anxiety? Now, that weeks has gone by since you started lexapro?

My husband is on lexapro 5mg for one week and now just started week 2 with 10mg. He is terribly anxious now, jittery, on edge, and he has NEVER felt like that. His insomnia is even worse (insomnia first caused by underlying anxiety disorder triggered recently and made much worse). I am so very worried for him. Will lexapro work for him??

• Posted

hi. sorry to hear of your husband's issues--so tough. i am feeling better--i jumped from 5-10-15 over past 4 weeks and just dropped back to 10 because i was feeling a bit jittery on the higher dose. so far, it is decent, i still have the occasional jitter/feels like i drank too much coffee. not sure what to do about that? maybe he can slow the jump up and stay on 5 for a bit longer? how has the past day gone? my doc said that lexapro is one of the least energizing meds, but it can still cause anxiety for the first little bit. keep me updated! 

• Posted

I started on 5mg and then bumped up to 10 and was having the same symptoms as your husband. After 2 days at 10mg I had to go back down to 5mg. After about a week I then went up to 7.5 for about  9 days and then I went to 10mg. My advice is to increase the dosage slowly. I have been at 10 mg now for about 4 weeks and am now feeling good. With a little patience, he will start to feel better. My doctor told me it takes about 6 weeks to feel the full effects of this medication.  just hang in there. It will get better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.