Just starting orlistat (xenical)... very excited about it!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've just started Xenical last week and I'm very excited about it. I was recently accepted into a university program for September and so I want to lose weight primarily for ++ energy and confidence. My BMI is currently 39. I have been overweight all my life but never to this extent. I work very hard and have a young one, so I don't find a lot of time to dedicate to health living. Since Friday, I have maintained a low-cal/low-fat diet and not missed any pills. No side effects from Xenical yet except for some bloatiness after eating. I've also been exercising at the gym for 30 minutes at a time. I really hope I start losing. I get discouraged so quickly. If I haven't experienced a loss after a week I usually give up because it gets so overwhelming with so much weight to lose. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it. Thank you!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi! You're doing all the right things so fingers crossed you'll be successful. And pleeeeease persevere even if not! I lost 8lbs my first week (my bmi was 35 so similar to you). Nothing my 2nd week (blaming time of the month) which was disheartening and now on 3rd week so trying to stay positive.

• Posted

Welcome to the forums! As the others have said below you do need to give this longer than a week or 2 to really know if it will work for you...hence why you should be needing to check in with your GP each month before seeing if you hit your 5% target at the end of the 3rd month in order to continue - you need to give it long enough! Of course if yoy've bought it over the counter the choice is yours!!!

It's hard juggling a family, work & trying to put your health 1st. If you're like me you come at the bottom of the pile putting everyone & everything else before yourself. I wish however that I was in your position now & trying to rectify my weight problem whilst my BMI was 39 - mine was 72 when I started & 9 weeks later is 66. You deserve this so be fair to yourself to give this your all & put yourself higher up that list because DO deserve this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.