Just starting Sertraline 100mg - Horrible Side Effects.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey there, I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety due to my work place and have been

signed off work, I was on Sertraline 50mg for a month and I didn't notice any difference in my moods or motivation.

I've literally just started my 100mg today, and after about 2-3 hours of taking the tablet I'm already feeling the side effects, I feel very light headed, almost as if I'm "high" , my mind is a bit "racy" and my palms are sweaty..

The side effects I'm already suffering with and have been for a number of weeks are restlessness, can't get to sleep properly, and more embarassingly, I find it difficult to ejaculate, my sex drive has dimished quite alot, but I still find I am able to become erect, however, with the first issue, I find myself not bothering or just not being in the mood to have anything done "to me" if that makes sense..

I'm 26 years old btw, so I was just wondering if these side effects are normal? - ecspecially the newer "light headedness" from the 100mg?

Thanks for reading, and please, don't beat around the bush regarding the ejaculation issue, I'm not bothered about discussing it so you shouldn't have to be smile

Thanks!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi Marek1,

I've only just been given Sertraline today, for the same reason as you, really. Stress at work! I've only been signed off for a couple of weeks, to be reviewed.

As a female, I can't identify with your problem, but from what I've been reading on the internet, and on the UK information sheet that comes with the drug, sexual dysfunction, as they call it, seems quite common in both sexes, with loss of interest and/or ejaculation problems.

If it's too huge a problem for you while you are taking this med. then discuss it with your doc. If you are taking it, hopefully, for the short term (whatever that is!) stick with it, as it might be worth it. No pain, no gain ad all that.

I've only started on 50mg, again, to be reviewed. I'm hoping it will only be for a short time, as I am usually quite a confident, and strong character. I don't fancy being on it for years and years as some people seem to be!

Again, I am expecting side effect,s but I gather they do settle down after the first week or two.

I will take my first one in the morning. If that doesn't suit me, my doc said to take them at night. All depends whether they make you sleepy or not.

Good Luck!

• Posted

Well, the 50mg side effects weren't too bad, I had the "sexual dysfunction" where I have indeed pretty much lost all interest, It's not a major problem I would say the biggest side effects I've noticed at the moment are about an hour after taking one, I feel extremely exhausted and so far, ive ended up "power napping" for an hour which seems to kill that side effect, the only other side effects I've noticed so far are random headaches and a dry mouth.

I was the same as you to be honest, a happy go lucky confident lad, but unfortunately the workplace has just broke me down to the point i needed to be signed off, Soon as I get my place in college my boss (the big boss) has agree'd to sort me out with a shift that suits me not them, and hopefully move me departments! Which is what i've been chasing for over 9 months now.

Oh I forgot, the only other side effect I noticed was heartburn straight after taking the tablet, so i suggest you have something to eat before taking it, for me, that stopped the heartburn.

Good luck and let's hope we both come off them pretty soon! Fill me in on your daily moods and how your doing, be nice to chat with someone experiencing the same issues.

Take care! smile

• Posted

have recently been put on lustral and the side effects are awful feel much worse and its scary so do feel for you but has ive been nlooking into this we just got stick with the side effects and hopefully they will start to kick in
  • Posted

Hi there,

Just wanted to say that i was put on 100mg of Sertraline 6 months ago, and for first few days i had slight dizziness, and alot of headaches, but since then have been fine.

Better than i've felt for a long time.

Stick with it !!!

smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.