Just starting taking it

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just taking taking mirtazapine today, after taking fluxotine for a year and i just feel really spaced out, and have slept all day. I also feel really sick, but at the same time really bloody hungry!! I feel as though when i look at something it takes a while for my vision to catch up, leaving it blurred. are these symptoms that will fade? i just cannot function at all at the moment, let alone think about going back to work!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Dear Lyndsay

these side effects will lessen after about 2 weeks so do persevere.In my experience mirtazapine does take a long time to work and these unwanted effects are a pain but if you read the other posts you will see that you are not the only one and there are lots of people to help.See your GP though if you are really struggling

Good luck

Jo x

• Posted

i've decided to take it in the evenings before i go to bed, so it wont matter if i've been knocked for 6, but i've been reading through and its good to see that i'm not alone in these kind of experiences! hopefully this willdie down soon x
  • Posted

Hi

I also have just been put on Mirtazipine and yesterday was my first day. Within half an hour of taking 15mg I was asleep and felt knocked out all day and evey chance I had I was asleep, I found it extremely hard to stay awake. I can't take time off from work so feel very concerned about taking this med if it's going to make me feel like this. Have also been eating non stop! I am waiting to hear from doc to find out if I should carry on, but I suppose it is early days (I do need to be able to drive and work though!). I didn't wake up until 11am today (with a soar thoat) and have only just managed to take my second tab (feeling very scared), don't have to leave for work until 3pm so I'm hoping I wont be too knocked out.

Emma x

• Posted

hi i have been on mirtazapine for 1week now and have read some other readers experiences.i thoughti was losing it,i took my dose 30mg at 10am and felt out of it by 11am and had to go to bed.i now take it 1hour b4 i go to bed and it knocks me out,i did take it late 1 time and suffered the next day.i was groggy,palpitations i just felt out of it.im also taking diazepam for 2wks.i think my medications workin but wednesday was my worst day,i av kids and i just couldnt cope with the noise and couldnt wait to take my pill and sleep.i have suffered depression for 15years.ive had seroxat which i became immune to, then i lost it big time and had to see loads of different doctors who had to come to my house because i couldnt face goig out or even seeing my closest friend.i was given citalopram last august but didnt seem to help,stil had suicidal thoughts,selfloathing anxiety and mood swings.i just want to feel normal and be able to get on with day to day life.does anyone on mirtazapine get a real taste in their mouth,not a thirst,also sometimes i feel calm then the slightest thing sets me off.i hope i get a reply as its good to read about others who are struggling but to know we are not failures,we are strong but need understanding, patience and help to cope with this.x :angel:
  • Posted

I don't know if I can cope feeling this knocked out. When I sleep all I do is dream or have nightmares they seem so vivid and I can't get out of them. Trying to wake up is almost impossable, it's 10.45am and I've only just managed to drag myself out of bed and take my tablet. I feel as if I've been on a massive bender. I'm now taking half of my 15mg dose to see if I can stay awake through some of the day, first day today so lets see how it goes....I hear that a lot of you on here take your meds in the evening, did your Dr tell you that's how you should take them? Would be really nice to hear from others as I am feeling lonely as the meds are so powerful I only feel safe at home..
  • Posted

My doctor told me to take mine at night because they have a sedative in them. I take 30mg at night, and the higher dose doesn,t seem as sedating as when I was taking 15mg.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks that helped, I will take my meds in the evening and see how it goes.

I left the house to go to the shop and I felt really awful, dizzy, anxious and people were looking at me.

I am eating so much and already have put on weight, I have huge food issues which is one of many many reasons I am on my meds. I binge eat and starve myself, at the moment I'm going through a binge period and the meds are making it really hard for me. I teach swimming and have to wear a swim suit in front of parents which I hate and I'm sure they notice I have put on weight. I'm in pain with all the food I've eaten!

I feel like I'm in a worse state at the moment, I have no hope that I'm going to feel any better. I'm lonely and need to feel comfort from somebody who knows how I feel.

Trying to cope with running my business and getting better don't go together, I'm stressed and feel like I'm loosing the battle!

My friends and family don't understand me, who am I? I'm so confused :? , up's and down's! What is life all about? I don't know if I want to stay in this awful place! sad

Oh dear what a state I'm in :cry:

• Posted

Hi sky, i took mirtazapine at night only, 15mg i found that the sedating effects wore off after a while. However the eating came in waves, did put on weight but now lost it, ive been off them for a while bcuz they stopped working for me, i took them to help me sleep and eat. Still on sertraline .

I also still get moments of dread and feel i can't cope and i am so tired, but i am better than what i was, got to the point when i was really bad that i couldn't function and i felt soo guilty for my kids. I feel that i fight every day and wonder when i will feel normal again too. Your not on your own ! :wink: x

• Posted

Thanks for writting, it means a lot to me.

I wish my Dr had spoken to me about how sedating they are and that I should take them at night.

My first tab was taken on Thurs morning and I had to work through feeling spaced out and mega tiredness. If I'd have known I wouldn't have taken it.

I took half my dose this morning and half this evening, but as I was asleep all day now I'm wide awake.

It must be tough if your dealing with children as well, I know how hard it has been for me to teach swimming every day. Don't know how I'm managing to do it!

We all have to stick together and help where we can x

• Posted

i've been on them for a week now, and i must admit i'm feeling a lot better. still feeling a bit spaced, and sleeping a lot more than i should be, but i'm generally feeling better, as i'm getting used to them.I'm gonna have to concentrate on not eating all the time, i've never been so hungry, so to those who have just started taking them, it does seem to get better. I'm even thinking i can manage going back to work. I work in a call centre so its a particually stressful environment, hopefully things are looking up... we can but hope anyway!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.