Just starting this med tonight....................Pregabalin

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey guys, 

Im just starting this tonight and am 75mg twice a day, one at night and one in the morning. Im also on an anti depressant and propranolol twice a day also. Ive been using the anti depressants for a year now and don't have any side afftects from them now. Ive also had the propranolol before and equally no problem with them. But this is now the most ive ever taken of lots of different meds. What are the most common side afftects people have with them? Ive been told i may feel sleepy taking them. 

I need these meds as ive got a very complex condition with many side affects from poor sleep, nightmares, panic attacks etc. 

Just any tips most grateful 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Beware of an increased appetite while taking Pregabalin Gemma - the drug itself does not cause weight gain, it just kids you into feeling that you are hungry all the time. I gained a stone in weight before I realised this so now I have to monitor what I eat and when I eat. I am going to try 5 small meals a day instead of 3 and will let you know how I go. I'm afraid I don't know much about the anti-depressant you are on and will leave that to others that do. I wish you well and better health soon
    • Posted

Hey, 

Thanks. That intesteting info actually and will keep an eye on it. I actually need to put about a stone on as lost it recently so underweight at the moment. So wont be a bad thing if makes me hungry at first, will help me. But i def will keep and eye on it. 

Yes let me know how u get on. Do you have any other syptoms with it?

I took it last night and again this morning and feeling very sleepy and dizzy so far. But otherwise ok. My other meds im all fine with as been taking for a while now.

Thanks for your wishes. 

Wishing you well too :-)))))))

• Posted

Right on the mark!! The medication only makes you think you are hungry.
  • Posted

Yes, it will make you sleepy and at times you just cannot fight it - so be prepared as it lasts quite a long time. I am still trying to stay awake all day long but there are days when I have to take a nap because my eyelids just quite simply close!! Had a few dizzy spells as well - they seem to be very ad hoc and come on with no warning. I have to be careful 'cos I have severe Osteoporosis and I can't afford to have a fall. My hip bones especially are at risk so have arranged my main room to have something to fall against that won't hurt me. Dry mouth is something early on say for first 6 or so weeks so I have learned to have water to sip at all times, at night as well. I hope by feeling you need to eat more you can gain the weight you need, but then be careful as increased appetite does not go away (as I know to my cost). The only anti-depressent I know of is Fluoxitine which helped me through a really bad patch in my life a few years ago. I don't remember having any side effects to that other than the dry mouth. If you don't like what you have been put on you could ask your GP if Fluoxitine would do the same job. Well done for putting up with these drugs, I know it is not easy. Be well soon
    • Posted

Ah thank you for your lovely kind message.

My anti depressant im totally fine with and i have tried many but this one is good as it has the least amount of side affects but isnt a well know one. But it works for me.

Im a few days into taking them now and my gosh its hard, i do feel sleepy all the time literally. My eye lids dont stay open either sometimes but weirdly i cant fall asleep most of the time just have to have quite time and shut me eyes. I dont like the feeling of being sleepy as i feel the days drag more. I dont sleep well at all anyway. But i have got a couple of hours each night the past few nights so im guessing its working a little. From what youve said these seem to be a little like an anti depressants as in the fact it takes a while for everything to settle.\

How long have you been of them?

Also week by week im going to be increasing my dose as this is what the doctors want. Im not sure to what dose yet.

I havent had an increased appetie yet but thank you i will 100% watch out for this. Thanks.

Dizziness is bad too, like you say its not all the time. But it is most of the day atm for me. I even fell over and have bruised my face because of this. So yes be careful as you dont want to injury yourself espically with you condition. 

Also im getting bad headaches. I normally do get them but they have increased in the past few days.

How long do you think it takes for it all the settle? Or do i just need to get used to it as it will always be like this. I guess with any med you always have some sort of affect. 

Thanks so much for your help :-)

• Posted

Hi again Gemma

I have been on the Pregab 3 months now and to be honest after 7 months of no sleep when I was in dire pain these knock me out completely. I sleep sometimes 9/10 hours (crazy I know) but usual is 7/8 hours. Maybe I just needed to catch up on my sleep I don't know. Pain is very wearing so I guess my body needs this sleep to heal itself. You mention headaches and I have just realised that I have been getting pain over my right eye and temple. So yes, as this is not usual for me headaches seem to be part of the experience. I started on 50 twice daily, then up to 75 x 2 and now am on 100 x 2 which I have settled well on. I do still get dizziness but as I said I dealt with this early on as best I could to avoid falls. Do you mind me asking why GP has put you on Pregab? Different doseage is required for reason you have to take them. You can go as high as 800 a day (thank God I settled on 100x2)

but I have been advised on forum by a patient that they are "hell" to come off and it is best not to have to take them for too long. Confusing I know if they are necessary. Spoke to my GP last Weds about this and because my sciatic nerve has been badly trapped by the bones that have crumbled it is unlikely that I will be able to come off them as the searing 24/7 pain is likely to return. As I must not have manipulation by chiropractor or similar it appears I am stuck on them. 

I am so sorry you have already suffered a fall - have you told your GP about this as if you are increasing your dose quite quickly I wonder if the dizziness has had time to settle down. My spells are getting less the longer I am on 100x2. Worth thinking about. Oh, my headaches are going now as well. So 3 months in and I do seem to be ok on them overall.

As for appetite increasing, I seem to have this as my main complaint. I am trying to eat less but the hunger growls are awful even though I do see the funny side to this. Thankfully I live alone and do not keep on having to apologise for them!

I do hope you can get to the 3 month stage without them being increased too quickly and have chance to settle down.

Take care and let me know how you are getting on:-)

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Have sent a full reply Gemma, but it has been sent to be moderared as it contains a link.. If it is okayed then you will get to see it sometime soon
    • Posted

Hey, 

Sorry for delayed reply. Had issues with my internet. 

Im doing ok on them i think. It will be a week tomorrow that ive been on them. Still getting the headaches but not so bad, sleepyness has improved a little though and i have the last few nights actually got a few hours of sleep. Im still dizzy alot of the time but watching out for it more. Brusies is easing now on face which is good :-)

Im on these becasue i suffering with PTSD with a complex conversion disorder. :-( . We want these meds to hopefully reduce my stress and anxiety which hopfully will improve my syptoms of the conversion disorder which are currently at an extreme state. Are you taking the meds for aniexty as well?

My meds havent been incresed yet but the consultant said they wil increase them week by week. Im seeing my GP on the 4th so prob will just stay on the 75mg twice a day until then. I think we will keep increasing until my sytoms are more stable. Im not the type of person to worry  about taking them or any med, ive learnt you can have a bumpy ride with them at first but it will improve. Also if it helps the situation then im all for it . I dont believe they can be harmful. 

Appetite weirdly i seem to be the oppsite to you and ive had a decrease and literally not hungry at all. But still forcing myself to eat.

I did read that they are a very effective drug and do slowly build up in your system. Some what like an anti depressant. 

This isnt my only treatment though as im waiting to be seen by someone to help me through my traumas. But have been waiting a year already :-( . I should get an appointment in about 7 months which is painfully slow. 

Hope your getting on ok, again thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

I have private messaged you - just look for the Bell at the top and click in to read.

Regards

Lizzie

• Posted

From speaking to a number of people including Doctors, it seems that it is not possible to say for sure what side effects people will have to drugs. Different people its seems react differently to different drugs. It would appear its a matter of weighing up whether the symptoms are worse than the side effects or the other way round and making a decision

• Posted

Thank you. 

Yes i fully understand not everyone gets the syptoms and people react differently. I just wanted to know the most common ones that people are affective with. 

Im totally for taking them even if its a bumpy ride in the beginning and ive experience it alot with various anti depressants as it took a while before I found the right one for me. 

So hopfully all ok for me and syptoms not too bad currently

Thanks for reply

• Posted

Hey Gemma I came across

Your story and wanted to know how you are doing. Are you better now?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.