Just Starting to Walk and Now Pain in My Knee!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

The good news is I have started taking my first steps again since my triple ankle break in December 2017 and ORIF surgery to put me back together.

I have a limp so the footsteps are not the best but it is huge progress and I am feeling very positive and hope to return to work in 2 weeks.

The issue I have now is that my knee hurts when I walk on my bad leg and I think this is responsible for most of the limp.

I am hoping the knee joint is just waking up as it has not taken the full weight for 3 months and it will go away in a week or so.

Has anyone else experienced this when they have begun to walk again?

I am doing physio so I will mention this to my therapist on Friday when I attend the hospital for my session.

Regards, Kenny

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kenny,

Congrats for your early recovery. I too experienced the same problem. There was pain in my knee when I put weight , either walking or standing. It last upto one year until I removed my implants in left ankle. I get relief of pain in ankle and knee after removal of implants. In my case it take long. If problem in your knee persists consult your doctor and in my opinion just remove the implants on complition of one year. Don't scare of operation as it is very simple operation and I started walking after three days of operation.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks Ajay, I hope to keep my metal work in and this is the view of my surgeon too. I cannot feel the plates or screws and they don’t seem to be giving me any issues.

I will mention my knee at my PT session tomorrow 

Regards, Kenny

• Posted

Hi Kenny,

When I started FWB, my knee on my bad leg kept popping. It was because I was still favoring the good leg. It lasted two weeks and now I'm fine. It takes time for the body to adjust itself. 

Glad to hear you're progressing. 

• Posted

That so funny. That they same lango I use....my bad leg. Well over the 25 plus years now my good leg is becoming my bad leg from overcomoensating
    • Posted

Hey Gigi,

Thats what I am hoping it is, my pain is exactly as you describe almost like popping or locking out.

Fingers crossed but I am thankful for this progress.

With Regards, Kenny

• Posted

Yes I have this too it feels like my knee wants to snap back!
    • Posted

Hi Samantha, yes that’s what it feels like, I am hoping it’s just a bit rusty after not being used for so long plus my leg has been elevated for such a long time too. I am now keeping my leg down a lot as my swelling has reduced significantly.

With Regards, Kenny

• Posted

Hi. Kenny congrats. Did you get a ankle replacement. I crushed my ankle 25 years ago. I had a external fixatire and halo and not walk a year. And I had much success unfortunateit you will always have aches and pains. And I never got rid of my limp. I worked as a hair stylist on the ankle 20 years and they said I should change my career. I did have a lot of issue. Probably about 8 sururgerys over the tement year spans. 4 rears a go I got a total ankle replacement and got a bone infrction.. beautiful with work. I just had 3 major surgery getting ready the final 1 .to put a new titanium replacement in. I am scared as hell. Or either get a fusion . I really look for some legal help on they company that made the device. Wrighy INBONE. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Winnig,  I never had a replacement but I do have a couple of plates and a box of screws in my leg and ankle. This metal work will hopefully stay in (this seems the normal practice in the UK) unless any issues develop.

My surgeon did a great job and has also seen me on 4 occasions since my operation in December, she has taken so much time to explain things to me and has given me confidence.

I do work at my PT both at the hospital plus I do 4 sessions per day at home which is also paying off. My calf muscles is now coming back as well as my ROM.

I wish you the very best of luck with your next surgery , I am sure this will be your final one as you have had such a tough time.

Regards, Kenny

• Posted

Kenny make sure you give your physical therapy your all. Do your at home exercise. This is a life time. But the more work you put in at physical therapy. The smoothing you walk will be.. good by crutches!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.