just STOP

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I asked my doctor if

this awful drug would increase weight when it was prescribed to me 12 months ago , due to high blood pressure. He said " NO". Well I say Doctor know it all, " YES" ! I have been very disturbed by my abdominal weight gain so I stopped taking propananol on February 17th ! I have noticed a small , gradual decrease in my weight ! I have not told doctor know it all yet, and I know I should address my blood pressure problems, but I'd rather be slimmer than unhappily and unhealthier, fatter ! Doctors should listen to their patients !!!!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You are right I decided to stop propranolol for that reason. I'm on 5mg every other day now and my tummy has defiantly shrunk a bit. I've been given amitriptyline to take for my migraines but lots of people say that makes you put weight on. Obviously the doctor says that's not true, but I don't think they really care!!
  • Posted

Hello, I would definitely ask your doctor about other blood pressure meds as having high blood pressure as I am sure you aware is not good for your health. I'm not trying to lecture you by the way if it does sound that way, I'm just saying im sure your doctor could put you on another blood pressure med?

Yours,

Liv xx

• Posted

Thanks for your concern Olivia. I I know I'm putting it off, but I'm just sick and tired of doctors thinking they know best all the time, without listening to us . I will go once I have enough evidence to support my battle . many thanks.
  • Posted

I've been on 80mgs slow release daily for the last 6 months. I've definitely put on weight esp on my stomach and waist. 

P was prescribed to me for dystonic tremor which has helped a lot but I've never had this weight before. I'm trying coconut oil which is said to reduce stomach fat. I hope it works as I've always been a size 10 and now some of my jeans no longer fasten ! ! 

• Posted

Its horrible isn't it Tezes. I understand exactly how you are feeling. Good luck in your quest for good health and your size 10jeans to fit comfortably again x
  • Posted

Thank you for starting this discussion Jill. I was on Propranalol myself for more years than I can remember for migraine prophylaxis. It never occurred to me that it could have played a part in my own steady weight gain over that period!!  I did find it really helped with the migraines but 3 years ago I developed chest pain and the first thing a cardiologist did was change the Propranalol to something else saying it would be better for my heart. Since then I have worked at watching my diet, eating smaller portions and my weight has gradually reduced by 33lb now and is almost back in the right range for my height. Having been more or less symptom free for a couple of years my chest pain has returned however, so I am now working at increasing my tolerance to exercise within the limits of my condition. I am hoping that this will help to bring my weight down further and also reduce the frequency of my symptoms.

Please don't ignore your own high blood-pressure Jill, you don't want to end up with more to worry about than unwanted weight gain!  There are lots of different types of blood-pressure lowering drugs out there, one of them is sure to fit the bill for you!

• Posted

Hi Jille. Thank you for your concern. I understand what you are saying, its just my distrust of doctors that puts me off from going back to the doctor and telling him that I have stopped taking Propananol. As someone who struggled with an eating disorder back in my teens, and fully recovered, I have been happy to stay a size 12 for most of my life and I stressed to my doctor that I would not want to take anything that could potentially jeopardise it. He obviously wasn't truthful with me and it in my eyes, has caused more problems ! I am doing breathing exercises and I walk about 5 miles every day with my faithful dog.

I hope Jille that you continue to get better x

• Posted

Hi Jill. I have just started taking Beta blocker 80mg this is my 9th day. First it made me extremely tired for a few days, that passed had 2 really bad migraines, then started to experience real bad neck ache which had to use Heat Patches (for a couple of days) I'm thinking my body is just getting used to these tablets. I'm 45 & a size 8 clothes I told the doctor I Don't Care What the side effects are As I SUFFER from extremley BAD MIGRAINE'S. BUT so many posts I have heard the same response WEIGHT GAIN. I'm going to carry on with this drug I'd rather put on weight than suffer form these herfific migrane's. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.