Just stopped Atorovastin - am I doing the right thing??

Posted , 5 users are following.

In May 2016 I had a stent to unblock an artery which was discovered following treadmill test. I'm 44 and was prescribed aispirin, biscoprol and 40mg of atorovastatin.  I started having dizzy spells and sharpe pains in my shoulders and chest and was referred back to cardiac team.  I had a second andiocardigraph after a number visits to A&E with shortness of breath added to symptoms - this was performed around 7mths after having the stent to double check and everything checked out ok. I had changed my lifestyle reduced working hrs, improved diet and hit the gym 3times a wk. Despite this I continued to have intermittent symptoms of palpitation and dizziness, pins and needle feelings across my shoulders. I thought this must be how things will be for me and suffered on in silence. In Nov last yr symptoms got worse and I started to experience fatigue and muscle weakness of my arms and left leg. I stopped the gym completely as I couldn't continue. My condition worsened since Xmas to the point were I can hardly walk, I have no energy to complete daily tasks. Haven't been able to work. I've had a ct scan of the brain because of constant headaches and dizziness, endoscopy and colonoscopy, X-rays of chest and stomach and further treadmill all which have checked out ok. I've been to the optician and the optical nerve is fine. My gp is scratching his head but put on iron tablet as it appears a bit low on blood count. The muscles across my body especially arms and legs have started to twitch. 10days ago I stopped taking my statin. When I told my gp he wasnt happy. The dizziness isn't as bad but I still have weakness in the legs and muscles continue to twitch and I get occasional shortness of breath. I've started taking vitamins and coq10. I'm due to see a neurologist and cardiologist within the next 14 days but not sure if I'm doing the right thing stopping my statin. I didn't and don't have any cholesterol problems but have added 550mg fish oil. I feel I need to try something.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I stopped my statins instantly too, despite gp objecting. I’m fine months later, did stop eating sugar though and feel fine now. 
  • Posted

I'm not a doctor so wouldnt dream of telling you what meds you should or shouldnt be taking.  But I do know from my own experience that the side effects to some people from statins can be devastating and it seems are completely denied or ignored by the medical profession.  For my own benefit I've done a lot of research into statins and there is a bewildering amount of 'expert' opinion on both sides.  I did find out however that I was less likely to suffer a heart episode or stroke from just having a high cholesterol reading than I would be from having raised blood sugar levels caused by taking the statins - that coupled with the truly horrendous effects they were having on my health - which had previously been very good, I decided in my own case, statins were an unnecessary evil.  It's now four years since I took them and whilst I've had great improvement I still have much weakened muscles - I recently was diagnosed with full thickness ruptures in both biceps - not due to excessive sporting activity etc., but probably due compromised muscle tone.  The memory loss and cognitive issues have definitely improved but I do still get fatigued.  Before I took statins my general health and energy levels were very good indeed.  As was my BP and blood sugar.  The only reason I was prescribed statins was that I had inherited high cholesterol - my reading was around 9.  I have since discovered however that both my HDL and LDL were high, so I wasnt as high risk as it was intimated.  Do research, and make  your decision based on 'facts' not pharmaceutical industry influenced GP prescribing practice.

• Posted

Hi corm0011 - My advice as a survivor of statins would be to stick with where you are going. Don't take them and see what improvements happen. I was SO SICK taking them and like yours, my doc was unhappy when i tossed them. Don't know what he thought when I refused to see him again. I felt better within days. It's nearly 3 years since, and I'm almost back to my old self. You sound like you've had every test under the sun and all is well. 

Q: Why did the doctor prescribe statins when cholesterol was not an issue?

A: Because statins are a billion dollar industry, and a gateway to further prescriptions for illnesses caused by statin use.

• Posted

It's very encouraging to hear from people who made great progress having binned the poison. I'll take the advice from Loxie and Wizzasmum too and continue to balance the diet - sideline the sugar and do more research.  I feel stupid not having challenged the reasoning for putting me on the drug in the first place but no one explained side effects or other options - I'll take each day as it comes and try and get rid of one symptom at a time and see what the neurologist has to say. Thanks!!

• Posted

Hi again corm0011 - you have stated things I should have mentioned in my post. Yes, diet with olive oil, oats, fish and Omega 3 supps, no sugar, trans fats or processed foods. Exercise - well I walk everywhere, great exercise. And as with you, my doc never explained the drugs to me, that i should take CoEnzyme Q10 with statins, that i might plummet toward type 2 diabetes - so many things were never mentioned. Criminal. Good luck to you, you'll be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.