Just taken a Cipro 500ml- should I stop?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I have just taken one of these for a sinus infection, 9.30 am. A couple of hours later I did feel a little shaky. I have a telephone app with the Dr tommorow morning as after reading all the posts I think I'm going to stop.I have anxiety issues anyway and an inner ear disorder. The risks seem to great with these antibiotics. Essentially I would have taken 1 500ml. We decided on these because they work for the particular bacteria i carry.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I thought i had a bad reaction to Cipro but actually have Lyme Disease and actually when i think about it there was alot of new things wrong with me before I touched Cipro, finally traced it all back to a tick bite in August 2013.

I also have 2 friends who took Cipro and had some reactions, couldnt think straight and physcological stuff mainly but no long term effects seemingly.

A true Cipro long term reaction is a reality but does not happen to everyone, even if it makes them feel bad at the time.

• Posted

Hi Rachael. Imo you should definitely stop taking the Cipro! I am only just getting over being severely disabled by Levofloxacin (another Fluoroquinolone antibiotic), that I took almost 2 years ago. I have been in touch with literally hundreds of people who have been badly damaged by Cipro and other FQs. Look at the stories here, including my own. Please find another antibiotic....this class of antibiotic is not supposed to be used, unless everything else has failed.
  • Posted

Thanks, i am definatly not going to have anymore, I am now very worried having had this one 500mg though. It seems crazy, that they are given out!

Now, of course I am worried something is going to happen from that one tablet- I feel like I have been potentially poisoned. After hearing all these terrible stories i feel awful for these people and am hoping I do not suffer any after effects. I am trying to rationalize it that lots of people take them and do not have side effects- but this must be of no comfort to you guys.

How long do you think I would know and what do i look out for?

I feel terrible , I am not sure if i am being v.overdramatic.

thanks again

rachael

• Posted

Try not to worry.....hard I know but you have only had one tablet and that will go in your favour! Everyone is different and so I couldn't possibly tell you what to expect or to watch out for. You will probably be fine and no, you are not being over dramatic...having read some stories, you were allowed to panic but now I suggest you try and relax a bit over it and believe you will not suffer anything else. 

Good  luck and if anything weird happens, then get back in touch :-)

Plodding on

• Posted

Hi Rachael,

I am in the same boat as you. I took one 500 mg pill of cipro, I didn't have any side effects but I am now terrified of potential side effects after one pill!

How have you been since the last post? I took my one pill about 24 hours ago and am praying for the best. Thanks for the help.

Jon

• Posted

I of course stopped taking the medication.
  • Posted

Please don't take ciprofoxacin, find an alternative drug.     I wish I never had and wish I was given more information on it.     2 years on the pain remains as a reminder of trusting the wrong people (G.P with lack of knowledge over this drug, smokers should not ever take this and ibuprofen should not be used as pain relief after taking this drug ever again.)

• Posted

Am really scared now av gt really bad stomach pains am on day 10 ov 28 1000mg a day I feel really spaced out all the time can anyone give me more infomation on these please I was givin these and narproxin I think there caled for epidimitis I am 29 years old getting a bit worried now the doc didnt even say anything about the possibility ov side effects please help should I stop them they dont seem 2 b making a difference anyway
    • Posted

dillyp if you're talking about taking Ciprofloxacin or any other fluoroquinolone antibiotic and you haven't tried other antibiotics first for your problem, then PLEASE STOP TAKING IT! 

The  possible Adverse Reactions are far too numerous to list here. Just google the antibiotic for info.

Btw, this thread hasn't been active for months (damn useless site this) but if you can find the conversation "symptoms started appearing 1 month after taking antibiotics and it is progressive" started by Sarah and scroll down to the end, you will find some recent activity. Don't reply to Sarah as it's a very old post.

If we can all try and stick to one thread, we'll be better off for finding info and support.

Once again - don't take any more Ciprofloxacin and NSAIDs like Naproxen, should never be taken with it.  Tell your doc that you want an antibiotic from a different class.

Good luck

Plodding on

• Posted

Thanks for reply m8 will try find the other post my stomach is in agony I was givin cipro for epidimitis just bin fobed off from day1 doc wasnt bother tried 2 say I had sti when I new I never had test any way negative had ultrasound diagnosed cyst in epididis and hernia doc just gave me 28 days worth of cipro 2 500mg a day I can honestly say I feel worse am spaced out and stomach pain is unbelievable
    • Posted

Fluoroquinolnes are NOT supposed to be prescribed as a first line defence. They are only to be given when everything else has been tried and failed - if it's a life or death situation. 

Please don't take any more - I'm serious!

Plodding on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.