Just tapered off lexapro-some questions

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi-I’m on my second day of no lexapro. I went down slowly and started Cymbalta and cross tapered. I started on 20 mg for a week and now 30 mg since Wednesday. Ugh-I feel terrible, anxiety, jitters, headache. I’m wondering if it’s lexapro withdrawal or starting up a new med. any thoughts? Thanks! 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

30 mgs of cymbalta is like 10mgs of Lexapro in a cross taper. It could be either one but most likely side effects from the new drug. It takes 3 days for a new drugs side effects kick in. Do you have an anti-anxiety drug to help you initially.
    • Posted

Thanks for the response! 

So, you’re thinking it’s the Cymbalta? I just feel crappy. Jittery, anxious, upset stomach and down in the dumps. It will be two weeks tomorrow. Three days totally off lexapro. I’m starting to regret getting off of lex. I have Ativan and fair .5 mg at night, I might take some during the day but scared. How long do you think it will take side effects to settle! 

• Posted

Why did you go off the Lexapro. I am on day 18 of 10mg for anxiety. How long does it take to kick in. I hope the cymbalta works well for you. I take a .25 of Klonopin in the am. And vistaril (non addictive) if I need more during the day. Did you start to feel better gradually Yesterday was better all day, and today anxious.
    • Posted

i thought it was making me dizzy, so i tapered off. i also couldn't handle the higher doses (which i needed) without side effects. i am starting to think i should have stayed on it bc i am feeling pretty crappy right now. i think it took 5-6 weeks for me with the lex. def took me a while, but hopefully it wont take you that long. 

• Posted

yep, it did, that is what i have too. sadly, it just takes a while to "get into your system" if that makes sense? 

• Posted

If it’s the cymbalta it could be like starting up on new AD’s like it was getting on Lexapro. It is an SNRI don’t know if they work quicker. I tried venlafaxine at a low dose but side effects were worse than Lexapro has been. We are all so different, and this is so frustrating
    • Posted

So frustrating!!! Yah, I heard Effexor can be harsh but works well. I’m hoping the lexapro kicks in for you soon!! I hate this wait period. 
    • Posted

Seems like every other day is a little better. This morning my anxiety is pretty bad. How are you today?
    • Posted

eh. i didnt sleep well last night,so my anxiety is up and i am tired. fun stuff. the mornings always seem worse for whatever reason. prob doesn't help that i have a three month old and a three year old. 

• Posted

Having young children and bad anxiety is such a stress. You are amazing. Can you take anything other than the antidepressant for it. Hope your side effects are easing. I guess we have to believe better calm days are ahead.
    • Posted

I hope so!! Sleep has always been an issue for me, hoping it levels out here. Feeling any better today? 
    • Posted

Sunday and Tuesday I had much less anxiety but it was back today. I hope it’s slowly starting to work
    • Posted

yah, i hear ya! i was feeling better on tuesday and now crappy again. it's so hard to get through this "wait" period. how are you today? 

• Posted

Better with anxiety but stomach ache. It’s one or the other. Are you still getting stomach issues
    • Posted

Did you have side effects with Lexapro for a while
    • Posted

I honestly don’t remember. I’m having some now starting a new med!! 
    • Posted

Lynn, this process takes a while, it took me 2 months, then gradually started having more good days then bad.  Still have times when I feel weird, but mostly good.  This whole thing takes time.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Susan, I hit 3 weeks on 10mg today. Mostly I have anxiety and ptsd. I just read statements from people who recovered in 2 weeks and get afraid. Had three days this week with less anxiety,. So relieved to hear your take.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.