Just the worst news ever

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi people on here.  MY family have just had devastating news or it could be.  My uncle could have the same cancer (of the bowel) that my Granddad died of.  Can hereditary bowel cancer pass down the family and is IBS the precursor to bowel cancer?  I am really worried as I don't need this on top of everything else.  Would my doctor know?  Would you even bother to ask.  Please help sick with worry, thanks. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

IBS does not lead to bowel cancer.  However, a family history of any disease including cancer does mean you are more predisposed to that condition.  But, it doesn't mean that you will definitely pick up that particular condition.  Your doctor will be able to answer any medical question because that is their job.

The best thing to do is not to worry about it; it may never happen.  Worry doesn't change the outcome of life events.  Worry will make your IBS significantly worse and you will reduce your ability to cope with daily living.  Concentrate on what is going well  for you.  Positive thinking is always the best way forward.

• Posted

As pippa has said, bowel cancer in your family does put you more at risk of developing it but IBS is not linked to cancer.

The best thing to do is just get on with things as worrying won't get you anywhere. Once you reach 50 you can enter the bowel cancer screening program (If you are in the uk).

Also you say your uncle could have cancer. If he hasn't been diagnosed yet then you're really getting in a tiz foe no reason.

Even if he is diagnosed treatments are very effective now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.