Just thinking - atrophy/moisture/lubrication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just typed this out once and it disappeared, so hoping this one works.  I've been thinking - I believe that according to studies, and there are quite a few of them, the only things that will IMPROVE atrophy is either hyaloronic acid products (pessaries, creams etc.) or oestrogen pessaries or creams etc.  Because of the risk of vaginal oestrogens on the uterus, my vote would go to the hyalaronic treatments because they're safer and they seem to give a pretty good result in comparison.  BUT there are women who don't want to use either of these or can't, for some reason and I've been thinking so far that the answer then was moisturisation.  So thinking oil based products would be the answer in one form or another, but there are still some who this just isn't working for.  After my gynie suggested a water based lubricant to go round the bottom of my pessary (it's like a plastic shelf with a sort of coat hanger bit at the bottom that they use to help get it in and out, and the coat hanger bit was slightly uncomfortable initially) it got me thinking.  I had some Yes water based lubricant (and by the way, I understand this is available on the NHS!) so am trying that.  The water based one is advertised by the company to be used either instead of, or as well as, the oil based one - used over oil it makes it even more slippery.  I'm now thinking for those women where the moisturisation isn't doing the job, I just wonder if a water based lubricant either with it, or even instead of it might work?  My thinking has tended to be 'atrophy = dryness, so the answer is oil' but I'm seriously wondering if instead, or as well, the answer is lubrication!  I don't THINK (but if anyone knows of any studies done that are different please tell me!) that moisturising actually improves the atrophy, but simply helps with the symptoms, so would lubrication (water based) help more, with the moisturiser, or on it's own?  Any thoughts would be welcome.  I might be completely going up the wrong street here but sort of fumbling through on thoughts.

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Im going to start drinking lots of water . everything i drink seems to dehydrate..coffee,wine etc
    • Posted

That's a very good idea!  I've seen things suggesting we have a lot more olive oil in our diet and wondered if that might be relevant, but it's all guessing really.
  • Posted

My understanding is ( based on advice form the Yes lube people - they are very good at replying if you email with a query) that oil based lubes nourish the cells and provide a protective layer and the water based rehydrate. Unfortunately some of us are irritated by the various ingredients in water based lubes (needed to give it its consistency, balance the ph and improve the shelf life). I am one such person. YES oil based contains only pure organic oils - well tolerated by sensitive skin.

using oil based with water based on top provides. Double glide efhfect - extra slippery during intercourse. Oil and water don't mix so the water based slips over the top of the oil based.

• Posted

There are other water based lubes available that claim to be suitable for sensitive skin - WooHoo and Astroglide. They stung me, but others may get on better with them.

All my skin down there will tolerate is pure oils or pure silicone (or silicone lubes with oil added).

• Posted

I have just got some Regelle I am going to try. Has anyone tried this?
    • Posted

Looks as thought it could be useful.  If it holds moisture longer, that has to be worth considering.  I haven't googled the ingredients - did you?
    • Posted

I just googled some of the ingredients and I didn't come across anything that put me off - I'll be interested to know how this works.  Can you let us know a) if it's really moisturising, b) how often you use it, and c) if it's messy (such as like an oil that means you need to use a daily pad)?  Many thanks!
    • Posted

Will let you know. It is in applicator tubes so it may be messy. First thing I do before I try anything new is dab a bit on the outer area and if it stings me then I scrap it.
  • Posted

There is also something called Hyalofemme containing hyaluronic acid, which seems to be like Vagifem without the worry of side effects as it is a natural alternative. I would be interested to hear if anyone has used it, Also worth a mention is Maca Powder which is a new superfood which supposedly settles the hormones and boost the libido. It can be bought from health food shops. I intend to give it a try.
    • Posted

I used a similar product and it worked well for me.  My gynie told me it was very safe and could even be used daily.  I used it when I was getting vulva irritation and it sorted it well.
    • Posted

I used hyalofemme and it stung me. But I have very sensitive skin down there since I had vulvodynia in 2013. I can only tolerate pure oils. DIM is also supposed to balance the hormones, reducing levels of bad oestrogen. I have been taking it for a couple of months and had no ill effects. Google it. I don't think it is intended for long term use, just a few months and then the hormones should be balanced. They can become unbalanced from using synthetic hormones such as the contraceptive pill or HRT.
    • Posted

The studies with products containing hyaluronic acid say it stings initially for a few times maybe then settles down. I suppose if the skin is damaged it will sting, and as the skin gets better the sting disappears. I tried it last night and there was a mild sting but this morning I feel totally moistuirised down there in fact I don't want to wash it off. I might wear a long skirt and go commando today as a kind of skin therapy pamper session, then use the hydromol wash tonight and use it again for the next couple of days before bed. cheesygrin
    • Posted

I go commando always when I'm at home. I wear baggy jogging bottoms or a skirt. Have done ever since I had vulvodynia in 2013.
    • Posted

I'm not sure, but I think I may be sensitive to the other ingredients in the gel type preparations, or water based ones, because they all sting me. Perhaps it has something to do with having had vulvodynia. Before that I was fine with water based lubes. I have no damage in the area. What is hydromol wash?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.