Just today diagnosed with PMR

Posted , 12 users are following.

have had a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia for years, and months ago felt I needed to go see my arthritis doctor and share with him symptoms I've been experiencing that are above and beyond my.fibro pain. I saw him back in Feb., and just today had my follow up appointment to learn the results of blood tests, xrays, etc.

I was sure I was going to go in there and he would tell me I have RA, however that was not the case. He diagnosed me with PMR. This is the first I have heard of this. I am being put on low dose prednisone, taken at night. He said that it is possible I will get almost immediate relief. I am 54. I've had 3 surgeries on my left shoulder, last 2 having to do with a total shoulder replacement. My orthopedic surgeon I am to see next week says my right shoulder now needs replaced. I've not been pain free from my left shoulder replacement, and to think of going through the same surgery for my right shoulder with the possibility of no pain relief is daunting. I don't know what to believe. My arthritis doctor says no more surgeries till we see if the prednisone treatment works. Oh HAPPY DAYS if it does, but why am I just now being diagnosed with PMR? I've had this pain in/across my shoulders, neck and down my arms for years, suffering much discomfort and limiting my ability to do normal daily routine things without pain and discomfort. I am anxious to take my first dose of prednisone tonight. I pray this works. My one MAJOR complaint, my insurance does not cover this drug. What the hell?!? I'm not asking for oxycontin for jeeps sake. I don't even like the thought of taking those king of narcotic drugs, and I never have. But people get prescient them all the time for pain less invasive than what I deal with EVERY SINGLE DAY. Does this upset anyone else that you have to pay out of pocket for prednisone?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was given samples of RAYOS (Prednisone) Delayed-release Tablets 5 mg. Before I even made it home from the doctor's office, I had a voicemail from a Pharmacy letting me know that my doctor shared with them that I was prescribed this medication that my insurance would not pay for, but they could mail me a 30 day supply for $10. Now this all seems a little funny to me. Why didn't they just write me a script for this stuff and let me find out for myself whether or not my insurance would cover it. I will be calling my insurance company on this one. And 3scott, yes I am upset that I've had three surgeries on my left shoulder. And the fact that I still have pain from the implant really sucks. It's just a shame that all these doctors can't work together for our well being. My arthritis doctor flat out told me at my appt in Feb and then again today that he couldn't help me with any of my other health issues, but what he could help me with was my arthritis issues. So no wonder we have unnecessary surgeries, or have to go to 5 different doctors for medical treatment. I lost my 18 year old son 8 years ago, he (is) my only child, and I suffer from depression, insomnia, anxiety, etc. I recently told the doctor I wanted to try and get off all my depression meds and she got short with me and told me if I did go off of them, she could pretty.much guarantee that I'd be asking her to put me back on them. I thought she'd be happy I wanted to take this step, but that wasn't the case. I am going to talk to my primary care doctor and see if she is willing to work with me on this issue and so be it, if I fall into a depressive state or feel like I need help, I hope I can go to her and be able to get my meds with refills and not have to run to the doctor every month to get the rxs and tell them the same thing over and over and over again. It's all a big scam, I swear they want to keep you dependent on their services for the insurance money. Anyways, I am going to call and try and figure out why a fairly cheap drug that isn't anything new or experimental would not be covered by my insurance rx plan. I work as a secretary in a school district and my insurance is pretty good. I live in PA. Will follow up and let you know what I find out on the RAYOS 5mg prednisone delayed release rx and coverage issues.

• Posted

And when I said I lost my 18 year old son, I guess I should have been more clear to say that he passed away. He was in his first year of college, going to become a nurse anesthetist.
    • Posted

I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your son that must be incredibly tough. Bless his soul . It sounds like that your on more then one medication for your depression, if I was you I'd come off them slowly slowly and let your body get used to the pred 1st.   I'm from The UK and the reason they didn't want me on steroids right away is because in the long term it can bring on other health issues and was warned by the Dr about this. Like bone thinning and then weight problems by making you more hungry. Some it effects others it don't .i didn't get the bone thinning and I only put on a little weight. I would imagine that is why your insurance does not want to deal with it on a long term base. If you take it just for a few days to try it won't effect you but your know if it's worth the risk to carry on with them . Steroids can compleatly clear up PMR in a lot of people after 2 to 3 years is worth taking on board . Like life it's self it's a risk. Only you can decide in the end if pred is right for you or not and if you want to go ahead taking them. Id learn a lot as you can about PMR and Pred before going forward . I wish you all the best hun ?xx 

• Posted

I am in Canada and once you reach age 65 the government pays for all meds and prendisone is covered.  Feel very lucky as I could be on this for many years from how long others have had PMR 
    • Posted

I also live in Canada but my province (BC) doesn't pay for our meds. I am retired and am on a benefits plan from my previous employer.  I pay an annual deductible and then the plan pays a portion of my prescription costs and I must pay the other portion. 

You must live live in a different province. 

It would be great if everyone's meds were covered, and it's good that the government continues to talk about that. If some of the provinces would start perhaps others would follow. 

• Posted

In Sweden the National Health Service has a scheme where we pay max CAD $ 320 or £ 180 a year counted from the first purchase of medicine. Visiting doctors and clinics cost half that sum for a year

• Posted

Donna, the gov only pays if you subscribe to a very expensive insurance plan, at least in NS.  We are covered by my husband's retirement benefit.  Coverage is only partial, and unlike the UK none of our supplements, vitamins as such are covered.  Plain pred is very cheap, however, and we'd be able to afford it even without coverage.

• Posted

In Ontario everything is covered no insurance plans needed here although I do have retirement benefits also dental vision etc from my company so very well covered . 
    • Posted

I am in Ontario govt pays for everyone over 65 years of age. Once a year in August pay $100. And that is it for the year my insurance from work pays 80% so only costs $20 per year and then each prescription has a small fee some 14 cents 58 cents my prendisone is $1,22 for 30 x 5mg
    • Posted

"my prendisone is $1,22 for 30 x 5mg"

But not in the form of Rayos I imagine.

• Posted

I have just explained at length on your other comment why Rayos isn't covered - and the comment has been stopped for moderation.

Rayos is not plain pred - 

This Rayos price guide is based on using the Drugspointcom discount card which is accepted at most U.S. pharmacies. The cost for Rayos oral delayed release tablet 1 mg is around $2,392 for a supply of 30 tablets, depending on the pharmacy you visit. Prices are for cash paying customers only and are not valid with insurance plans.

• Posted

I've just paid £1 and 85 pence which is under 2 pounds UK money for 5 mg x 9 tablets for my dog of the same medication .  Their cheap enough but not on the health long term and that why insurance Co s over price I think  .  

• Posted

Darn - caught the reply box by mistake!!! The reply on your other post on another thread has been captured for moderation - I hadn't noticed the drugspointcom bit which triggered it. So I'll have another go.

Rayos is not plain pred - it is a specially developed form that releases after 4 hours in the stomach under the right conditions. It is also relatively new - so is still under patent protection and relatively expensive. The price in the USA is in the post immediately above this - $2,392 for 30 tablets of any dose. You need up to 4 tablets depending on what dose you are on as it only comes in 1, 2 and 5mg tablets.

As a comparison, plain pred in the UK costs £1.31 for 30 tablets, enteric coated (UK only) £1.86 and Rayos/Lodotra £25. In the UK it isn't available on the NHS, only privately where you pay the full cost, in the US it isn't covered by most insurance plans as you have discovered. It is however available relatively cheaply for people who qualify for the discount schemes.

If you don't want to pay even the $10 - ask for the plain form of pred which will be covered. 

If your shoulder is bone on bone then the pred won't help that pain. If what you have is PMR then it may help the shoulder pain to some extent - it depends what is causing it. Bursitis is a common feature of PMR - inflammation that is relieved by pred but it can take some time to work fully, even at 15mg it was a few months before my bursitis went altogether. And the hip bursitis returns at intervals. 

I'm on pred in the form of Rayos/Lodotra and I think it is great - but I would doubt that even Rayos won't work for PMR at a dose of 5mg, you will need more. The only difference between Rayos and other forms of pred is that you have the convenience of taking it before bed and it has worked by morning. That is all that justifies the extra cost.

• Posted

I seriously doubt your dog is getting Rayos/Lodotra is he? You need to read the rest of my reply too.
  • Posted

Just reading this...hoping you are experiencing relief...are you??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.