Just told my GFR is 59

Posted , 7 users are following.

Im a bit worried, I was just told my GFR is 59, I was sent to have more blood work test and urine test and a renal ultrasound. Once the results are in I going to a nephrologist. It was a shock to me because I'm 41, play tennis, very energetic, bp is normal, sugar levels normal, cholesterol is low, height weight proportionate and I hate salt. The only thing I don't do is drink much water or liquids even during or after exercise. For today's blood test I made sure to drink quite a bit of water since a day before and no protein, not sure if this will make a difference. But it's something I didn't do for my last blood work. I also take ibeprofin on occasion, and I've read ibeprofin can lower GFR levels. Do levels fluctuate from day to day or does not drinking much liquids or water lower levels considerably? Thanks,

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well, I had additional blood work, and a kidney ultra sound, now I just have to wait for my results, my appt is set for two weeks. I did get copies of all my old lab work and GFR was normal until 2013, 6/13 my GFR was 72, but in 8/13 it dropped to 48, funny thing is my doctor never mentioned anything to me. Then in 10/13 it went up to 62, since then the GFR has stayed around 64 - 56. Creatinine levels have been 1.2 to 1.5. I'm wondering if there's something I'm taking that causes the GFR to go up and down. Blood pressure is normal, Glucose Levels normal, only meds I take are for Cholesterol ,(very high Triglycerides), sometimes do take ibeprofin (not anymore).

• Posted

Mike, with regard to your query about whether something that you are taking might be causing fluctuating eGFR, I just found the following on the NHS website.  Whatever you do, don't stop taking the statins though, but perhaps discuss it with your GP especially if you are taking high dose statins:

"Much of the media is reporting the findings of a major study looking at whether 'cholesterol-busting' statins are linked to hospital admissions for acute kidney injury. The Mail Online website warns readers that, 'Stronger doses of statins may increase the risk of kidney damage by a third.'

The study found that people with no previous kidney disease were 34% more likely to be admitted to hospital for acute kidney injury if they had been newly prescribed high-dose statins compared with those prescribed lower dose statins. This held true for the first 120 days of treatment.

However, the risk of kidney injury is rare. The researchers estimate that 1,700 patients would need to be treated with a high-dose (rather than a low-dose) statin in order to cause one acute kidney injury.

For the vast majority of people prescribed a statin, the benefits (such as preventing a heart attack or stroke) greatly outweigh the increased risk of acute kidney injury.

However, doctors need to consider this potential risk when prescribing a high-dose statin, particularly if a lower dose is an option."

?Your eGFR is only mildly reduced from time to time - just keep up the frequent monitoring to check that it remains stable within the latest range of 64 to 56.  Meanwhile, good luck with the ultrasound result.

?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.