just told type 2

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have been given metformin sugar level 7.6 what would happen if i did not take the tablets and worked on strick diet??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think that you need to go back to your GP and tell him your intention to use diet and exercise and see what they say.  In fact you need to use diet and exercise anyway even if you take metformin because they really work best in tandem with that, they do not magically take away your diabetes unfortunately.  Good luck and I applaud your intention.
  • Posted

Hi David, you'll need to do a lot of research on diet, limit carbs and sugars of all types.   It IS possible to control type Ii with diet. I kept my mom on a very strict glutenfree paleo style diet, along with herbs citrus bergamot and berberine. She was off meds completely in three months.  Good luck. You can't do this halfway. You have to monitor closely to know when you can back off meds. 

• Posted

Good for you! When I was put on Metformin it was the real wake-up call that I needed to make lifesyle changes. I told my doctor that I wanted to try the diet and exercise approach and he said he doubted it would last... that most people fall off after a while etc. Well that was about 4 years ago and I have to tell you David, this was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I began walking 30 minutes each day, sounds like not much but it feels like a lot when it's cold and rainy and you push yourself to go. Now I do about an hour per day because I am  in better shape than I was when I began and also because I know how much better I feel each time I walk. I still take Metformin but much less. I still check my sugar levels each day, just to keep myself on track. The dietary and excercise portion has been HUGE in preventing advance of diabetes. I am so grateful I decided to go this route and prove my doctor wrong ;-) Good luch to you, I hope you try this route and enjoy the benefits as much as I have!

• Posted

Welcome to the Diabetes group David!

When I was 1st diagnosed my Dr wanted me to try to keep my sugars

under control with diet only! He said that most people lasted 3 months,

I did fairly well for 3 years before metformin came into the picture!

I know that I'm responsible for my own sugar control but I started to slide a bit when my husband also was diagnosed! It's so much easier to blamesomeone else for your own short comings, isn't it!

I agree with some of the others that you need to go back to the Dr and

discuss trying it on your own with the Dr's assistance!

I feel that medication is the last resort as eventually it may stop working.

After 15 years, also affected by 3 major infections, I'm now Insulin

dependant which I hate! It feels like my whole life revolves around sugar

testing and Insulin injections! It's only been 4 months but I hate it!

Good luck and hope your Dr agrees with you! Susan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.