just took 1st citalopram...advice needed please :-)

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, ive just started taking citalopram (10mg) for anxiety and because ive become abit snappy :-/ ...hoping these will help. Im abit worried over the side effects tho because im anxious enough as it is and need to be able to function ok ish to be able to get on with school runs and look after the kids ( 3 under 5 years old ) . What can i expect from the 1st few weeks?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You should be fine, I just felt a big sick in the first few weeks.
  • Posted

Hi Lovely Natasha I do not recall any side effects cos I have been on them since God was a lad.  I am now on 40mgs they very good medicants the only thing I know better is not to take them at all. Of course some times it IS nessessary to take them. All I can say is I use to work in the voluntary sector and the first thing I would ask is do you allow enough time even park a quarter of a mile from school. Then walk and spend some time laughing with the horrors,  That my pretty one is only known by you. All I know is most of us cram to much into our day.
  • Posted

Hi natasha, I'm into my 3 rd week of taking citalopram 20 mg, the symtons were very harsh in the first week, tired, felt hazy, loss of apetite and feeling very hot and sweaty, I take them very early in the morning (630 am ) and I'm not right till the afternoon, but I do feel a lot better, no more tears, it may suit you to take them at a different time, as I know I wouldn't be fit for anything till about 10 am, hope this is helpful, good luck.
  • Posted

Im on 20 mg & my anxiety has completly gone , so if you can get over the side effects , long term it has made a complete difference to my life , Id planed on being single for ever and a recluce , now i have traveled europe by myself , have a partner and a wee 2 year old sprog , as as much as i would like to come of them , ..... I do feel my life is better now than its ever been ... I remeber back 10 years ago when i 1st started taking them , I didnt really notice when it started changing my life till things were going quite well & i reflected back and realised ,, wow lifes going great ... Its must be the tabs .. then 6 months later i came off & i didnt notice any difference till things spirilled out of control a few months later ... so when I got asked When life went down hill & when i was last going well , it was the 1st time i had to admit the tabs were the answer , I id like to reduce them but i accept with my anxiety ill be on them for life ,,, all good though it could be worse :-)
    • Posted

Great read mark....I tried to fix my anxiety for months with diet and exercise and as much as I felt better for doing it when I sat down to rest it all started again it was horrible so I decided to try citalopram.... I took 10mg for 4 weeks and after some (not to bad) side affects I felt the benefit but in week 4 I began to feel the anxiety creep back so I was moved to 20mg and that was 2 weeks ago....I'm feeling more tired but I've noticed this pays few days I have forgotten I have anxiety so I'm hoping that this is the dose for me and things will pick up from here......I'm also happy to accept things are what they are and if the meds help then so be it 😀
    • Posted

Oh glad to hear all is going well , Yes i did read a blog on line re 20 mls is the recomended dose for anxiety so that makes sence ... I was going to try to come off as when i exersize it causes ibs to flear up , but if thinking it maybe more food related than i 1st thought ... I am now trying a Paelo diet which has really helps ... ( im not anal about every little thing though) but i eat it when i can ... I have how ever cut out all breads so i must have a type of gluten allegy as other foodsd are not too bad ... I read a while back something to live by .... I your great grand perants dont reconise it as food , dont eat it :-)
    • Posted

Maybe I didn't stick to the healthier eating for long enough but I will continue to keep it up but fir now the meds are my saviour....I'd recommend it to anyone 😄
    • Posted

i am currently reading a great book on life called the paelo manifesto which you might enjoy :-)
  • Posted

Hi Natasha!  I remember my first doses of citalopram well!  You may feel sick to start with (few weeks) just remember to eat before taking it! Must eat because I didn't once and was sick in the street (very embarrassing) as long as you eat though you shouldn't actually be sick, just feel it but it'll pass don't worry.  Just need to push through, but they're very effective at their job.  Another tip; don't forget a dose!  You will get brain zaps and they're not nice, scheduale a time of day that suits you, maybe after breakfast and just stick to that everyday!

Good luck! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.