just took my first citalopram and now feeling ridiculously anxious am I over thinking? :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Took my first citalopram pill half hour ago and feeling really anxious... I suffer from health anxiety and hate taking any tablet... anyone have any ideas how to stop me feeling anxious sad

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Try Kalms they help for me.

I am on week 3 of citalopram too.

Dx

• Posted

Was you nervous the first time you had taken them? Its only been an hour and I cant stop thinking about the fact I have taken it... really hope these pills stop me from feeling like this sad

• Posted

yes makes you more aware, try the Kalms they do help.

they will help in the long run you just have to get through the first stage of taking them.

take care D x

• Posted

And also when did your side effects if any kick in eg nausea headaches etc x
    • Posted

Did it ever occur to you that you might be the one making yourself anxious?
    • Posted

I didnt have much Nausea, i did when i took them with no food - to combat this i took them with or after food that helps.

Headaches not so much as i get migraines most of the time so no noticable difference for me there.

Side effects i am not certain that they came from the meds as i had a stomach bug and a bad chest infection the first week of taking them so any symptoms i may have had were masked by that.

Hope the symptoms ease soon.

• Posted

Hi Lauren! You might be experiencing a commonly reported side effect which is anxiety. As for the severity, when you feel anxious what kind of thoughts are crossing your mind. Like what are you telling yourself?
    • Posted

Highly doubt that after 1 tablet that she would be getting more anxiety.
    • Posted

You're right. I highly doubt that she is feeling the anxiety from the meds considering she has only taken one. That being said, does it make much sense to say that she would be feeling other side effects then? After all, isn't it what this discussion is about. I put my money on what shes teeling herself that's making her anxious. Even more so since she herself is saying she can't stop thinking about taking it.

• Posted

I cant see where she said she was having side effects, she merely asked when did my side effects kick in. which to be fair affect everyone differently anyway.

Agreed that thinking about taking the meds will make anxiety much worse i know i have been there.

• Posted

No its not the meds making me feel anxious its most definitely me worrying about the fact I have just taken them and all the horrid side effects I have read up im sitting panicked waiting for something bad to happen
    • Posted

Hi Lauren. Like you I am not good with taking tablets. I took my first Sertaline three weeks ago and my hubby stood beside me and even checked my mouth after to make sure I took it. I think from my own experience that you are most definitely bringing on you anxiety by taking your first pill. Firstly it takes a while to get into your system. Secondly who says you will have side effects as not all of us get them thirdly.. you doctor wouldn't have given you them if he/she didn't think they would help you

If and only if you get side effects take it moment by moment and remind yourself you are healing

Stay strong

• Posted

Not everyone who takes this gets side effects. I only got 2 of them which was dizzy spells and tired. They leave after a couple of weeks for most people. Just relax and let them do their work. If you can stick with it and push through any side effects you get, the reward will be so worth it😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.