Just want to say hello and thank you.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello.  I've had CFS for 35 years now and have just had that confirmed after the latest round of tests, scopes and biopsies to check that nothing more sinister was going on.  It's a relief of course that nothing was but it's tough going on with something that still feels like a non-diagnosis after all this time.  I'm learning to accept my own limitations though I still struggle with it sometimes but find it hard when other people seem to find it difficult to do the same.  Does anyone else feel like they are made to feel like a fraud or a malingerer because they just can't keep up with the rat race?  How do any of you deal with this?  All those years ago when it all started I had the same problem with health professionals but I find that things have changed so much in recent years and they are much more sympathetic now.  But family, kids,relatives?  Their non-acceptance of me the way I am with my limitations and problems is probably the most stressful thing in my life at the moment.  Any tips?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mo,

I agree with your sense of somehow being a fraud and not being understood and the difficulty of accepting that in a way that doesn't lead to feeling that oneself? When I had a couple of good days in a row last year (that used to happen!) I'd even think it myself. My head would be clear and I'd even start thinking about applying for jobs! There wasn't anything wrong with me after all then, bam, back to exhausted and brain fog. Its the fluctuations people don't understand, and that I feel, make us doubt It too. I find myself trying to justify myself so many times as with this condition you look "normal"

In regards family and friends, the cfs/me clinic gave me a booklet for people who are classed as "carers" to me. That could be helpful. Also try quoting facts like how many people have this and symptoms that most share. Have you a cfs/me clinic referral?

At the end of the day its A tough condition and we all deserve a medal for persevering with it!

Best wishes

B

• Posted

Many thanks for all that Beverley.  Actually what I got recently was just confirmation that all my new weird symptoms are still CFS.  In the early days it was diagnosed as ME/malinger and somehow the malingerer has stuck.  And you are so right about it sometimes being yourself who even thinks that.  I can't tell you how many jobs/courses I have started, full of enthusiasm and then crashed out of.  Like this summer when I'm half way through a Masters in History.  I thought it would be good for me but the stress made me so ill I've justs spent the last few months getting all these tests which in the end of the day tell me it's just same old same old.  But when I told my husband I was taking a year off and maybe giving up he was stressing about how to tell his family I was giving yet another venture up!  Sorry this is turnig into a bit of a rant!  But it's actually just so great to have found this forum today so that I don't feel I'm just going slowly round the bend all by myself.  I will ask my GP about the leaflet.  The GPs are more sympathetic but do nothing for me just wish me all the best.  After all, after 35 years I should have learned how to deal with this, right?  I've also made an appointment with the Thistle Foundation to see if they might help.  I notice some others have gone to them too.  Thanks so much for getting in touch and you deserve that medal too!

Best wishes,

Mo

• Posted

Hi Mo,

Yes it seems so hard for family and friends to get It? Your partner, though I'm sure is supportive at other times, sounds frustrated and somehow eager for your recovery. A master's Mo is huge, well done for even starting this! I just did my maths gcse and some days I seriously questioned myself as to why I'd undertaken it. We have so much time on our hands just the energy lets us down.

Its ok to rant, its so frustrating not being heard or understood. I dont know of the thistle project but hope It helps.

B

• Posted

i wish i could give you a tip but i have the same problem no one understands the illness as you look OK if you had broke your leg everyone would be very sympathetic but i dont think people will ever understand the illness unless they have gone through it thereselves.

• Posted

Thanks for that!  I guess maybe we need assertiveness training or something because, I don't know about you but this whole thing and the stress and distress it causes actually makes me more sick.  Maybe I/we need to start standing up for myself more.  I know I need to stop apologising and start believing in myself more.  This forum will really help with that I hope.  Good luck and best wishes,

Mo

• Posted

Wow, 35yrs to get diagnosis, expect youve already had many difficult times to deal with. It took me l3yrs to get diagnoses for intersticial cystitus, years of frequent pain often severe, frequency, tiredness, fatigue, bouts of nausea, and asstd minor symptoms, causing a lot of suffering and drastic affects on lifestyle, all affects phycalogically,  It was a relief to get a diagnoses, but few knew of or anything about condition, its also a immune type condition, so no sympathy, little if any empathy,even from gps, be it theyd dismissed symptoms or misdiagnosed for all those years, only empathy from partner to some extent, he,d seen daily affects on me.. Others  l got to know through support group, understood and were good. The condition often linked to cfs, fibromyalgia, sjorgens, allergy problems. Very debilitating, disabling on bad days, frustrating,infuriating restrictions on lifestye, and its not just about work, again l was refused any welfare help re dla, ib, as are many, it is also social life, holidaying, friendships, difficult to be reliable.

Somehow you learn to live with it, make something of a lifestyle, get satisfaction fullfillment happiness as best you can when you can. Many years later l was diagnosed with cancer, had chemo, radiotherapy over a year, and there was a level of suffering debility, but for me, the symptoms didnt come near to the affect of ic, re pain, fatigue, mental torments, restrictions on lifestyle, not saying for others its like that, but for me it was. Yes despite far far less suffering over a much shorter period of time, l was inundated wtih help and support, all came to me, gps visiting,nurses, benafits people, support workers, whilst other people were so sympathetic, as is society. Some diseases although causing serious affects are little understood or even cared about that  much, think some are known as orphan diseases, minimul money on research.people  dont see whats going on inside your body or mind, if we,d a red raw arm or leg or bleeding seen, its` oo` sympathy, inside your body can be worse but not seen so no response or much care.My symptoms did improve with treatment, still have frequent days of tiredness fatigue sleepy, on reasonable days try to catch up on jobs or go out, then shattered next day,aches and pains, nausea or flushed up, feeling half dead, fit for nothing, still bored, frustrated, its difficult, l come to terms with it quite a bit, but not completely, just do best l can, and if it doesnt suit people, too bad, doesnt suit me either, but you cant help it, if you know your true to yourself you cant help what others think of you. 

l,m not sure how you get through to people, even family at times, 

Beverley l know that feeling of having a few reasonable days and then questioning yourself, in part due to doubts others including gps give you, so make plans,  push yourself to do things,  and next day wrecked, and yes l get brain fog with it, even speech bit slurred at times, l know an old lady with all manner of health probs, rings me and wants to talk for an hour or more she loves that, , for me even that is hard work, l5min ok,  as for going on skype as she wanted me to, no,  as l dont look good when fatigued either. Today a reasonable day, hence long ramble. Mo, l wonder if letting family read others accounts of your condition might help, not sure, But best wishes.  

• Posted

Hi Lynne,

Sounds like you have been through the mill also! Its sad that the support only comes If there Is a physical cause to symptoms. I hope that the cancer is fully treated and that some of that support from others has remained.?

Its a hard condition to get used to for all. I can't do the long phone calls either, so understand you with that.

B

• Posted

Hello Lynne,  thanks so much for your reply and I am really sorry to hear about all your troubles and just hope things will improve for you.  I will certainly get some info I can pass on to family because this situation is really getting to me at times and frankly I have enought to deal with.  I think I am probably my own worst enemy in a way but am trying to get it into my head that I just can't live by other peoples' standards and should not let others bully me into feeling bad - even if they think they are helping!  I managed to walk four miles today and have loads of energy but other symptoms are lousy.  Take care and bests wishes,

Mo

• Posted

hi Mo thanks and my acute health problems are better, relieved, but the chronic ongoing symptoms are a drag, l think most people put expectations on others, trying to explain is hard going, getting through or belief from them, a lot of cynical people,, gps included.  l think you did brillilantly to walk four miles, lve known some people whove had good health and been mocking ridicule even insults to those whove a chronic health problem that restricts, whether physical or mental health. Just sometimes, often years later, those same people get a health problem that affects them, then they understand, Anything can happen to anyone at any time, its taught me to take peoples words about their health problems at face value, better that than to make people feel worse by denying them, so hope you get through to doubters, Good luck
  • Posted

Hello firstly my experience is not fully understanding the condition myself and for a long time confusion and denial. I'm OK I look OK one hour later I'm laying down really poorly so put yourself in the shoes of an onlooker this must look crazy... I stopped explaining toughened up and sent informative links to a young I would cate for judgement from the rest well.. Anyone who's close to you will know you turned into a new and different person be it that maybe still confusing... I have four children we have managed through humour so far I grasped my personality the only part of my previous life I haven't had to let go of. So be firm.. Honest and humble.
    • Posted

Hello Rachel,  thanks so much for replying.  You are right confusion and denial also an issue for me, or just no believing in myself enough I fear.  Does not help when others around you do not believe either.  I have four kids too.  Didn't we do well!  It really helped me when a counsellor I spoke to said what a remarkable achievement that was with my condition!  Thanks for the advice.  Hope things are going well for you today.

Mo

• Posted

Mo

It's strange, but if you had MS, Diabetes or any other chronic condition would you really tolerate your family taking this attitude with you?

CFS is a recognised debilitating physical illness, so your family need to get educated about it if they want to be of help to you and if they don't, don't waste your time or energy on trying to deal with their problem, as it's precisely that, their problem if they can't be bothered to aquaint themselves with the facts or deal with the situation that you're ill..

You've got enough on your plate just dealing with your illness without the need to be sorting out their attitudes. I'm sorry to be blunt but there's no reason to have to appologise for being ill, none whatsoever.

That's a very good idea to have a talk with the Thistle Foundation and it might be a good idea to take your husband there as well, he needs to learn the situation as much as you...

If you start understanding more about your CFS and start treating yourself more kindly and work within your limitations, others around you will start to understand  your condition better too... CFS is a dreadful illness as we all know, it's not a "non diagnosis" it's a very serious illness indeed.

Anyway, sorry to have a go , there's plenty of support and advice on this forum and at least you'll get all the sympathy in the world here... smile

All the best

Michael

• Posted

Hi artistmike,

I agree with what you are saying but often people don't always get it with other chronic conditions too-like diabetes or ms, particularly in the early stages of ms. Maybe it is at society level the education needs to be aimed? Only last night I was wondering what It might be like as an observer to this in part due to Rachel's comment about how must it look being ok one minute and having to lay down the next . Often people just don't have the tools to deal with this because they weren't given them. In this way some education is needed. The sad part Is that it is we with the condition that has to give it! If a doctor or nurse did, maybe it would gain more credibility? Or if more were published in the media. Good idea to take partner along to thistle project.

B

• Posted

Thank you a thousand time Michael.  I appreciate your straight talking and actually this is exactly what is now starting to dawn on me.  It is  astonishing that I have had this condition for 35 years and still struggle with the attitude thing.  I think it is a legacy of when I got it at first nobody got it at all and the stress of the lack of understanding and sympathy then and over the years not only made matters worse but seems to have gone pretty deep with me: of course I knew I was ill really but a part of me somewhere actually believed what other people were suggesting to me.  Does that make sense?  And it's only now that I realize, as you say, that the change has to start with me and I need to start expecting something better and making sure I get it, starting from myself.  I'm so glad I finally found this forum.  I think the ongoing support will be very valuable.  Really appreciate your comments and advice.  Thanks!

Mo

• Posted

Hi Beverley,  I agree about the education.  I've been looking online for stuff I could share with the family and haven't found anything that brilliant yet.  Maybe 'll write my own!

Mo

• Posted

Hi mo,

Could be a good idea writing a booklet for family and friends smile

B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.