Just was diagnosed with Diverticulitis with abscess

Posted , 6 users are following.

My symptoms started on Wednesday.  I was achy and had stomach pains but thought I had a stomach bug. Thursday morning I had severe pains that came in waves and almost made me pass out.  I heard that kidney stones where very painful so I thought that was what I had.  Went to doctor and was diagnosed with urinary tract infection because I had blood in my urine (although I told them I had no pain when I urinated) Sent me home with antibiotic.  By afternoon, was in bad pain again but not the contraction type pains... this was constant pain.  Called the doctor to tell them that I was in a lot of pain still and was told I had to give antibiotic a full 24 hours to work.  Needless to say, I suffered all night.  My husband wanted to take me to emergency room but I can be very stubborn and wanted to wait it out thinking I would feel better in the morning.  The pains where terrible again in the morning and was finally went to ER.  Did a catscan which showed diverticulitis with abscess 4.5 mm.  Was told they could not aspirate because of where it was located.  I was treated with antibiotics and liquid diet and was released today (Monday).  Now I feel pretty lost.  I was told to follow up with GI doctor but not quite sure what to eat on a low fiber diet which I was told to stay on for one week.  Can I eat yogart, butter, pasta even rice? Then I am to switch to high fiber.  Quite honestly, I'm scared to death to eat anything. In the meantime, the hospital doctor told me that I still should consider surgery because it was complicated diverticulitis.  This is all so much to take in and I'm looking for any advice and recommendations.  Thank you all!

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi welcome to the club, it is very painful I first started with mine at the end of November and I have been in hospital 3 times since then, I came out 3 weeks ago and then started with another flare a week later. I think perhaps I was not keeping on a light diet long enough; I was given very little info in hospital about diverticulitis and the diet. I was just given a high fibre diet sheet and I think I did the high fibre part of a bit too quick. I now know I should have done it a little at a time gradually building it up. I have found asking questions on here has been very helpful.

As for the pains, if you get severe pains you must not ignore them and you should go to hospital. It’s not something to mess about with as I said, I’ve been in 3 times since Nov and I was told in the A&E that sever pain is something you don’t ignore, I have just been told yesterday that I need an operation and I’m not taking it too good as I’m 74.      

I started with my 4th flare last Thursday and been on antibiotics since, its now starting to ease, I have been on a small amounts food each day since.  I.e. Breakfast Porridge-lunch scrambled egg or omelet with a little white bread Tea Mashed potato with a little cream cheese at the moment that’s about it. I have been told that you have to rest the gut for about month and to go on light fibre diet for another month and build up to a high fiber diet. I take Actimel Multi fruit yogurts every day as they contain good bacteria and help to ease problems with the antibiotics. I eat cream cheese- butter- pasta and white rice and a little white bread. I have asked my Doctor to see a dietician and have got an appointment in March, I love my food and I find it really alien to not eat the food I like, but we have no choice. Like us all, you will have to learn a little at a time, put post on here and ask other suffers what they do, also look on the web and library books for diets, you will find pins on web site pininterest on the web for diverticulitis recipes. It does not sound that you are in the UK are you? hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Thomas, I am in the US.  I feel terrible that you have had so many flare ups in such a short period of time.  It sounds like you are now changing your diet and hopefully that will help.  I think it's important to not go back to old habits though.  I am very very cautious of what I eat now but honestly I was always a healthy eater.  That is what is puzzling me. I love veggies and eat them every day.  I have salad every day as well and I am not a big red meat eater, mostly chicken, pork and fish.  Last week, however I had popcorn as a snack a few days in a row, and also had salad with nuts in it.  I know that isn't supposed to be a trigger but I have to think that maybe for me it is.  Needless to say, I will not be eating popcorn or nuts anymore!  I have been eating like you, yogart and eggs, chicken soup and veggies like well cooked carrots and canned green beans.  Nothing heavy and very small meals.  I have not added back in milk or cheese yet because I'm trying to give my digestive tract a break.  I have also added a probiotic capsule every day.  Once I can go to a high fiber diet, I will be adding Metamucil.  Thank you for your input and advice!  I hope you feel better soon and don't have to do the surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.