Just when I think things are easing....

Posted , 6 users are following.

I wrote on here a few weeks ago about my brain tumour fear since a virus made me feel dizzy at the beginning of this year.

Since then I have had continuous problems with my balance and feeling woozy, or feeling like I am spinning when my eyes are closed

I have been to the doctors countless times, making sure to see the same one when able. I've also seen other doctors too and have had an extensive eye test.

Still the woozy/disorientated feeling continues.

I thought a few weeks ago that it had subsided greatly but now it seems to be back with avengance and I am riddled with panick again.

It has been nine months now and while others assure me I would have other symptoms by now, I can't stop the awful sense of dread that fills me when my balance is bad.

The last few days it has been awful and today I returned home and was very upset (which of course makes it worse.)

I have noticed that my anxiety makes the dizzy sensation worse and that when I relax it does ease...but I can't get this idea out of my mind that I have a tumour. The doctors have all told me the issue is with my ears but I'm scared they have missed something. I have read frightening articles about patients symptoms being misdiagnosed with brain tumours.

I don't know what to do anymore, I feel desperately unhappy.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You could have vertigo which has something to do with dizziness & balance & it pertains to the ears. I'm surprised the dr hasn't prescribed meds for that . I've had several friends who have had that. But I would tell the dr you would like to have a CT scan just for your piece of mind. God bless!

• Posted

Hi, I had this a while back and got really anxious about as I suffer from health anxiety and this dizziness was really worrying after several visits to the GP I was told I had blocked eucanasia tubes (probably spelt that wrong sorry) , the GP told me to buy some nasal drops xyteazomide lie with my head tilted back of the bed and squirt 2 drops in each nostril and lie there for 5 minuets till I felt them go into my ears , I did this twice a day and after a couple of days I felt so much better👍.

Try not to worry as this will only make it worse as you know . I'm sure you will be fine 👍 X

• Posted

Have any of the doctors mentioned that maybe the crystals in your ears have moved. That will certainly give you the off balance/dizzy feeling
    • Posted

No I was told I had a fluid build up and they seemed to think my issue was down to anxiety. It is hard for me to let things go when I set my mind on something and I can feed my anxiety... I had never had any problems with my balance prior to this virus
  • Posted

Can anxiety be related to dizziness? It definately seems to increase with my anxiety and when I calm it eases
    • Posted

I had a virus 1 year ago and i still experience dizziness from it. Each day is different from the next. I'm so over it! Do you have any other symptoms too? I have weakness and fatigue too. Doctors have labeled it as post viral syndrome.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying. Yes, every day is different.. Some days are so much worse while others I feel it lift. Anxiety has definitely made it worse and I seem to have gotten into an awful loop..I think its like forming a pattern ..you get used to being dizzy.

I don't really have weakness but I do get very tired - though I've put this down to my increased stress. Sometimes the woozy feeling is better and then it's like it comes back with avengance. Like you I am so tired of it.. It's reassuring to know that someone else is in a similar position to me. I always tried to reassure myself that it was the virus but as time went on it seemed less likely. Glad I'm not alone

• Posted

Yeah if your balance is off it makes anxiety fly high. How could it not? My ear for the past few hour keeps popping.had a eustatian thing since june and finally last week it felt healed and now have a new cold. Everytime i swallow or move a certain way. Im only on day one of a cold, never happened before and i had ear issues since 2007. And i have eye issues. I dont know, this all gets to be a lot after a while, these doctors havent learned to fix all that much and then we all become very anxious because we are left messed up.not  fun at all. And a person can become anxious if they have some life ruining symptom and theres no 

Fix. You are not alone.

• Posted

Brain tumour, the worriers number one fear. Seriously, I think we've all had this fear and for a good reason too; anxiety does terrible things to not only the mind but to us physically as well. I was so convinced I had a tumour also, the dizziness/vertigo headaches/eyepain I told myself, 'these are way too many symptoms, this can't be just a coincidence?!' Well it was a coincidence, a funny thing happened, I was speaking to my doctor and only said; 'I've been having really painful eyes and try not to google symptoms but -' and then she said 'brain tumours often have a lot more symptoms at the stage of them being able to cause physical discomfort I wouldn't worry about it wink' I hadn't even mentioned me thinking I have a tumour yet, believe me your fear is understandable but not rational. But even your most rational thoughts can be pushed aside due to anxiety. Hang in there and reassure yourself, you are okay! Vertigo and dizziness are some of the anxiety symptoms I dread the most! Some days they're there some days they're not, but I am getting by. I hope you can too! Best of luck to you x

• Posted

Thank you for your comment! =)

I have had a brain tumour fear since losing a close friend to one a few years ago. At the time I was coming off my anxiety meds which were giving me severe withdrawal. All the things I experienced then I immediately put to a tumour, but my doctors helped me understand my anxiety and withdrawal so it went away.

As soon as I experienced the head pressure, woozyness and terrible disorientation this year when I had the virus, I immediately associated it with my fear again.

After a few months of it I went to the opticians and asked for a thorough test (I told them why I was there in the first place,) they were really good and gave me the all clear. This was only at the very end of May.

Recently I've been under a lot more stress, a mixture of my own doing and external stresses. I lost a family member who was abusive toward me this year. I changed jobs and moved house.

Sometimes my balance and woozyness feels better. When I relax and feel comfortable it does ease a lot, sometimes it goes completely. When I'm out and trying to navigate around I feel like I loose all confidence and I feel myself questioning my balance. The pressure builds up in my jaw and temples (I clench my teeth a lot,) and the woozyness/dizziness can come on. When this happens I panick and am convinced I have something inside my head making me this way. With the floaters I have been having it has only made it worse...but I have also only recently had my eye test.

I wanted my doctor to conduct further tests but they all felt it was un necessary - the trouble is until my fear is truly eliminated it will not leave me. I think I'm actually doing this to myself, which terrifies me. I can't seem to relax and I hold myself permanently tense.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.