Just wondering...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all just wondering if any of you had ever had just one leg to swell? Mine is my left leg no pain just swelling only goes down at night when I lay down . It started about 4 yrs ago about the time I was having female issues and was diagnosed with low thyroid. My doc thought it might have been cause my thyroid was so off but now that it is under control he says he has no idea.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

BOTH MY LEGS SWELL BUT MY RIGHT ONE IS THE WORST. I BROKE IT 2005 AND I DONT KNOW IF THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. TODAY I WORE MY LEG WRAPS ALL DAY AND THEN WHEN THEY CAME OFF I PUT ON MY COMPRESSION HOSE. TOMORROW WHEN I GO BACK TO WORK THEY WILL SWELL UP AGAIN FROM SITTING ALL DAY. I REALLY WISH THERE WAS AN ANSWER TO THIS PROBLEM.
    • Posted

I WILL BE SEEING MY FAMILY DOCTOR ON DECEMBER 1ST AND I WANT HIM TO SEND ME TO A VASCULAR SURGEON TO SEE WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT THIS.  I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF I FIND OUT SOMETHING. PATTY
  • Posted

Yes Donna38794,

Mine has always been just in my left leg....poor circulation etc. Then it started swelling alot about 5 years ago. No one ever mentioned a compression stocking to me....certainly not my regular PCP . And then just in passing...a therapist asked me if I had ever seen a lympphologist...and that started the ball rolling for Dr's to realize and agree that's what I had. But at the low income hosp I was using...they told me there was no hope for me. That's bc they didn't anyone truly certified in lymphoedema. I was devestated and almost didn't want to go on. Then I had a wound turn black and I went to an emergency room of a private hosp and they changed my life...saved my life. They have a whole lymphedema dept with certified staff wgo treat lymphoedema and they got my leg down overnight. But...to address your question..we started lymphatic massage and it moved fluid into my right leg I guess and now I have lymphoedema in the right leg too. But it would be rare not to get it in both legs at some point. The difference is...we caught it early and I just wear a compression stocking on the right one and that seems to keep it from getting any bigger. I love how light it is and how it feels. My left one is still a fight for us but we are working on it. It fills back up with fluid so fast. So that my answer....keep us informed..ladyjack51

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.