Just wondering as it was brought to my attention

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering if knows if there was any extra help my daughter may or may not be entitled to she lost 90% of her hearing in both ears has had grommets and one has failed which means she is partially deaf in one ear now she had been given ear drops but they havent done nothing for her and its been a month now were she cant hear properly.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Toni I'm not going to say no because I'm not absolutely sure but I can't find anything in PIP that actually works for you in the disciptors, Denise will I'm sure know yea or nay, does your daughter have any other major health issues

• Posted

Only other problems she has is her eczema and there's a possibly she has dislexer but I'm dealing the school over that one

• Posted

Hi, first question is how old is your daughter? PIP is for those 16 and over and DLA is for those under 16. I’ll advise further once I know this. 
  • Posted

She is 10 almost 11
    • Posted

For a child under the age of 16 years to qualify for DLA, they must meet all of the following criteria:

they must need care, attention or supervision because of a physical or mental disability or health condition (and your child does not need to have an actual diagnosis)

they must have needed this care, attention or supervision for at least three months, and be likely to need this care, attention or supervision for a further six months (you can make the claim before the three months have passed, but you will not receive any payment until they have)

they must need substantially more care, attention or supervision than other children of the same age who do not have a disability or health condition. Evidence will be needed to support a claim.

• Posted

What sort of help do you mean? Financially? Since the deafness should be temporary the chances of you getting any financial aid is pretty low.

If she is permanently deaf, and has all the paperwork etc to prove it, you may be able to claim some sort of disability money. If you are in the UK, speak to Citizens Advice Beuro. If not speak to whatever service offers you advice. It's always worth applying. The worst they can do is say no. I wouldn't get your hopes up though. Xxxx

• Posted

Btw I'm only wondering if it is temporary because you mentioned ear drops. Sorry if I got that wrong.

• Posted

She had an operation a year ago to have grommets put in because she lost 90% hearing in both ears and had been like that for over 18 months she was having 6monthly hearing tests to see if there was any changes and for the last month she hasn't been able to hear out of one ear at all she was given the ear drops to see if it would help which after 2weeks of using them she still can't hear properly . And by extra help I mean support in her everyday life to see if there's anything that can make life easier for her school on Ice she struggles with and I will be dealing with at 1 but I was just wondering if there was anything there I can get for her to help her out as she really really doesn't want to try hearing aid and it's making her break down in tears

• Posted

You say she's lost 90% of her hearing in both ears but then at the same time say she's partially deaf in one ear, that doesn't make sense to me, sorry. Anyway, it really does depend what extra care, attention, if any she needs compared to another child her age that doesn't have a disability or health condition. 

• Posted

She lost 90% of her hearing had grommets put in was ok for a little while and now she can't hear out of one of her ears. As someone said to me that she could possibly be entitled to some extra help I was just wondering if there was what could it possibly be as at the moment I'm having to shout just so she can hear me

• Posted

When you post a question like this on a benefits forum then we automatically assume you mean a benefit for her. As you say extra help with daily things in school etc then for this you'll need to speak to her GP. It's extremely difficult to get help through childrens services unless a child has severe disabilities. I know this because I fought for 14 years for help for my daughter and got absolutely nothing. Your GP would be able to point you, or refer her for help if need be. Good luck and I hope you get some help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.