Juvene

Posted , 7 users are following.

Any best guestimates as to when Juvene might actually be a viable lens implant choice for the public?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

My personal guesstimate would be that it may never make it to market. It strikes me as an extremely complex device to be inserted in the eye. But, I also bought a Betamax and predicted that 35mm SLR cameras would never be autofocus, then I bought one!

More seriously at best I think it is years away. Too long to hold your breath waiting if you have a cataract now.

• Posted

I read they where raising funds to go into US Clinical trials. So if you have the guts to be a guinea pig for this revolutionary IOL then see if you can get in one of the clinical trials. Just a warning, I would not do it.

• Edited

My opthalmologist is on the team of scientific advisors who developed the lens. You may know that on Nov. 29, 2021 LensGen, Inc., announced it had received approval for an Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to initiate a pivotal study of the company’s Juvene intraocular lens (IOL) for patients with cataracts. Patient trials have already been conducted in Latin America.

• Edited

As for the Juvene I could not be that early of an adaptor. My understanding is their is a fluid that makes the lens change shape. What happens if the fluid leaks out in 5 years or it just stops working? This type of revolutionary lens needs to be tested in the real world environment for a long time before I would risk it. But that is me.

• Posted

it's a good question but i think they could just easily replace the fluid optic since its a modular system with a bag filling support ring that has been shown to prevent PCO in I think 100% of cases (so far)

• Posted

I have read abut the modular base and how it will turn lens exchange into minor surgery. But it is hard to see how digging out a solid piece of plastic will be that minor of surgery with no risk to the eye. Anytime cutting into the eye does not seem great. I would like to read more on that.

Also does this modular base only work with Juvene IOL. What would be really great is for a base to work with most IOLs. Then if an IOL is a problem one could just swap it out for a different type of IOL.

If this base can prevent PCO it would be great. I am wondering if it lowers other risk like Retina Detachment and so forth that comes with cataract surgery. Putting in a plastic IOL that is smaller than the natural lens causes shrinkage, which seems to be associated with many problems.

• Posted

They'd cut the lens in half before pulling it out. Pretty simple. Also I believe the retinal detachment risk is just due to the "trauma" to the eye, mostly from Phacoemulsification.

• Posted

I have read article like this one from heathline that state:

"PVD from cataract surgery can lead to a tear in the retina. This can happen if vitreous fibers continue to tug on the retina during or after surgery"

And I read from Review of Opthalmology article Creating Uncommon Accommodation:

"Also, with the bag filled, there should be less stress on the vitreous. That has the potential to confer safety advantages with respect to posterior vitreous detachment and retinal tears.”

Just be interesting to see as more Juvene IOLs are implanted if these advantages are confirmed. Of course we might also discover some disadvantages.

• Edited

I keep postponing my surgery and I am thinking of postponing once more. I know there will come a time when my doctor does not deal with me. I am just very nervous about Panoptix side effects and brain adaptation when you use 2 different lenses Panoptix and Vivity. I have faith in my surgeon, but an implant is not the same as your own lens and the question becomes how desperate do you have to be and how much of your daily life needs to be impacted by vision issues until surgery is a desirable choice?

• Posted

I knew it was time for my surgery when a) I stopped driving at night due to the halos/glare/etc. from the cataracts and b) I couldn't clearly make out the subtitles in the movie theater. The latter was the last straw, as I'm a movie buff. 😃

• Posted

One thing you may want to consider is a trial of monovision using contacts to determine if monovision is an option for you. It requires that you still have reasonable vision in both eyes despite the cataracts, to give it an evaluation. If your optometrist is cooperative it is not that hard to try it. You would get a contact for your dominant eye that fully corrects your vision for distance. And for your non dominant eye you would under correct it by about -1.25 to -1.50 D (mild myopia). The idea is that you see clearly in the distance with your dominant eye, and read closer up with the non dominant myopic eye.

I am halfway through that process and have an AcrySof IQ monofocal fully corrected for distance, and I use a contact in my non operated eye to give me about -1.25 D. I am essentially eyeglass free except later in the evening when my eye is getting tired of the contact. I then put my glasses on. I do have some +1.25 readers that I occasionally use for reading really fine print.

I really like this mini-monovision so far, and plan to replicate it in my second eye by using another monofocal (Clareon or AcrySof IQ) or a Vivity lens.

• Edited

I'm not there yet and just cancelled my surgery. I want my vision to be so bad that if I have side effects, I won't be regretful.

• Posted

You may want to have your detailed eye measurements taken before your eye progresses too much. If the cataract becomes too opaque it can be hard to get an accurate measurement. If your surgeon has the IOLMaster 700 instrument it can "see" better through an opaque cataract. The older IOLMaster 500 has more trouble doing this. In any case if you get the measurements done now, you can make up your mind later on what lenses to go with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.