K wire removal following surgery for fractured toe. Toe is now swollen and painful. Is this normal?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I fractured and dislocated my middle toe 4 weeks ago, had surgery which involved insertion of a k wire. Recovery has gone well and yesterday the k wire was removed from the toe, the procedure wasn't painful but last night my toe was swollen and painful. Wondering if this is normal and would like to hear other people's experiences. Maybe I did too much yesterday after coming home from hospital? I'm keeping my foot elevated at the moment (5am, can't sleep).

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi Patricia...I am rather familiar with wires in my toes...this is my third surgery with them, in fact. i have three as I type. while uncomfortable and tender at times, especially when my body is naturally forcing them out a little and theyve needed to be trimmed, I have never experienced swelling in the area prior to removal. If anything....relief after the process. i would definitely tell you to see your doctor. my sister also just had wires removed and she wasnt to get her foot wet (no swimming!) for some time. when in doubt, check it out. 😉

• Posted

Sorry to hear that...I also was the same...no pain when removing the pains...but made up for it later... I had used my pain meds for 1.5 days only.. after surgery...but was back on them for a day, every 2 hrs as recommended , after pin removal due to swelling & throbbing.........was back to icing every 2 hours & elevating all day. Was much better in a couple of days....hang in there ....take care

• Posted

Thanks Joanne, your experience sounds exactly like mine, I didn't take pain meds after surgery because the pain wasn't bad at all and I thought my recovery was going well but then after the pin removal the swelling and throbbing was awful, I was worried that there was something wrong which is why I posted on this forum. I've been elevating my foot for the last 2 days and it seems to be helping a lot. Toe still swollen but lots better. Can I ask you how long it took before you could wear normal shoes? And walk outside? Sorry for all the questions but it's nice to talk to someone who's had the same surgery.

• Posted

Hi patricia. I had same exact surgery just 3 pins and involved the joint. Im curious as to how your recovery is going. Thanks.

• Posted

Hello

My recovery has gone really well, after a couple of days of pain and swelling after the removal of the wire my toe was a lot better. I think I should have rested more after having the pin removed.

I walk dogs so cover fairly long distances most days and although my toe throbs a bit sometimes I'd say I was back to normal.

I'm careful always to wear trainers or boots with a thick sole when I'm out walking otherwise I feel discomfort in my toe.

Hope your recovery goes as well as mine, I'd advise resting a lot and keeping your foot elevated as much as you can after the pin removal. Good luck!

• Posted

I hate to keep bugging you, but did your fracture involve the joint ? mine did and im curious as to whether someone has gone on to live a pain free life after such an injury. Thanks in advance . Have a good day 😃

• Posted

You're not bugging me at all. I had an open would across the joint of my toe which is why they did the surgery straight away. I had one pin inserted to keep the bone stable while the fracture healed. I have a photo of the x-ray somewhere, I'll try to find it and attach to a reply. I wouldn't say I'm completely pain free because my toe does ache a bit if I've walked too far but most days I walk with the dogs for 2/3 hours so I'm really happy with my recovery! Hope yours goes well too.

• Posted

yea if you have the old x ray id love to see it. ill show you mine haha i believe it to be worse

• Posted

I've shown you mine! haha I'm sure yours is worse and I think I got off lightly, dropped a heavy piece of furniture on mine. Hope your recovery goes well.

• Posted

Not sure if this is at all helpful information but I had a IP fusion in my big toe. It started out with a tendon rupture and clawtoe deformity that lead to the fusion. First fusion I had a 3.5mm screw placed in my big toe and left there. The bone started to heal and fusion together, reducing the pain and swelling. After getting out of the walking cam boot at 7 weeks, I did okay for a few months until the pain and swelling returned. I ended up with a revision surgery (10 months after the prior surgery) due to a non-union of the joint not fusing.

Second fusion I had to fix the non-union, they placed a larger screw (4mm) and a staple and did a bone graft in hopes of "jump-starting" the process of making new bone to fuse that joint. Again, I did pretty good, got my boot off at 7 weeks and then by about 12 weeks, I couldn't handle the constant pain and swelling. X-ray showed another loose screw ie...non-union. So I am back in the boot and have a eight thousand dollar bone simulator to use daily in hopes of preventing a 4th surgery. It doesn't look good though. I think he is just giving me this time to try and protect it in hopes of more healing even though he is pretty sure we need surgery again. After reading a lot, I believe my surgeon needs to be more aggressive with protection of the toe/foot post-op. I should probably be completely non-weight bearing for a long while before being allowed to put any pressure on that foot. Also guessing I need much longer than seven weeks in the boot. Your feet take a lot of bumps and pressure and I don't think I am allowing enough healing time. I was allowed to bear weight with the boot on right after surgery. I don't think that is the common way. I would suggest getting an appointment just to check on things and hopefully just resting, ice, elevation and possibly some padding but in a stiff sole shoe would help. My best to you!

• Posted

hi everyone sorry to jump in , i have toe pins in for the last five weeks and relatively pain free but tbis week pain seems bad i am due to have them out next week is it a relief and can you walk normally after as im really struggling to walk at the moment

• Posted

Hi, I had increased pain for a couple of days after the pin removal but after that I was fine. I think I should have rested and elevated my foot more in the days following the pin removal. I was back to walking ok quite quickly but I always wear boots/trainers with a thicker sturdy sole when out walking (I look after dogs so am out and about a lot!)

Nearly a year after the surgery my toe still aches occasionally but my walking is fine.

Hope your recovery goes well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.