K2 vitamins and anticoagulants supplements

Posted , 4 users are following.

Most people use K2-MK4 or MK7 vitamins as basic treatment for osteoporosis, as well as diet rich in K vitamins, many green vegetables, alfaalfa, etc. On the same time there are a lot of very popular supplements or foods with blood-thinning effects (anticoagulant effect), such as omega 3, coenzyme Q10, vitamin E, serrapeptase enzyme, garlic. Interactive or cumulative effects are difficult to be apreciated. I doubt that supplements or foods could be responsible for blood clotting or blood bleeding. However, I read that the latest research proposed to combine K vitamins with oral anticoagulants to stabilize the INR blood. I asked the physicians about this, but I didn’ receive a clear answer. I want to know your opinion on this subject, and if you investigate your blood INR in order to know if blood clotting time remains in the right range.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I’m afraid I can’t answer your question but I personally would like to know just how many people ‘pop’ one vitamin after another!  There is so mch information about vitamin pills that a lot of people seem to think they are ALL good.😏. Just asking!

• Posted

The only warning I've seen in connection with vitamin K2 is to check with your doctor if you are taking a medication of the warfarin type.

People who eat natto, the Japanese fermented soy which is the source of many of the K2 supplements, consume a dose many many times greater than you would ever get from a supplement, and no problems have been noted.  Just as a spell in the sun can theoretically give you far more Vitamin D than you would ever get from a supplement (except for massive therapeutic doses under direction of a physician), yet we don't get poisoned by the sun.  I think the body, if given what it needs to work well, can decide how much it will use and excrete, or store, what it doesn't need.  It appears that the supplements generally available provide very safe doses.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.