kafo design

Posted , 5 users are following.

Although I have not had polio I have joined the PPS group because of a chance meeting with a man in a pub. Like me he wears a caliper, in his case he had polio as a child.

?For both of us this was the first time we had talked to another kafo user.

?Am I in the right group or is there another one I should join?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was 13 years old, and in an iron lung for about six months, then transitioning to a bed and slowly gaining strength. After about a year my legs were strong enough to walk again, using a KAFO on my left leg and an AFO on my right leg. My arms and hands were still very weak and, as an exercise, I started writing short poems. Here is one of my first:
    • Posted

Love the poem.  I have not been part of your discussion.  The only brace I have tried did nothing to help my polio leg, but I have looked Kafo up and may give them a try.  You are all having to work so hard at walking.  I use a wheelchair sometimes, my polio leg is very weak and I have been told it would "not tolerate" most orthotics...

Best wishes to all, and thank you again Richard.

Marion x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.