Katecogs - Should I up my antidepressant?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone, this page (and Katcogs) has been a source of solace for me over many years. So hopefully it will again now.

I'm 24 and have a major panic/anxiety disorder which manifests in physical pain that i think about 24/7.

When I went to uni it all started as I was away from home as well as it being the first time I was totally control of my own meals post recovering from Eating disorder when i was 14. The pain was all consuming most days I would go to A&E, took me along time to realise it was anxiety.

I've been on Fluoxetine 20mg for around a year and a half + (was on citalopram a year before) and it has been helping although side effects were awful and took MONTHS to settle.

Anxiety blips still happen but way less frequently and for shorter periods. It's hard to remember now but most days were anxiety free.

However my anxiety has come back tenfold - probably due to a recent sudden break up from my partner and also going to Eating Disorder Exposure Therapy where i'm being challenged have my final fear foods.

The anxiety is like before when i wasn't on antidepressants, constant chest pain, somatic fixations, jaw pain, shaking etc

I feel like a failure because i'm trying so hard to keep it together and improve things. I'm sad that i'm creating such a burden on my parents still and really scared and confused about the future.

Would it be recommended to think about going up to 30mg / 40mg (knowing UK probably 40mg is only available).

I've been faced with alot of stigma in taking antidepressants (people telling me a chemical imbalance is a myth) so I fear going up. And ive heard of of the issues people have had with withdrawing.

Generally I feel incredibly alone and hopeless. I was doing well and now cant see the light at the end of the tunnel.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.