Keep getting infections after sex (BV & UTI) what's going on?

Posted , 11 users are following.

So I am married ,& we've been together for quite some time now (around 9 years) I never before had a UTI (I understand they are common, but I've never experienced one before this situation)  I also want to add that the only time I've ever experienced bacterial infection was in the beginning of my pregnancies; which was a long time ago and only happened twice. My husband is the only person I've been with in years.  I bring this up because I know sometimes a new partner can trigger an imbalance. So a little over a month ago (July 2nd to be exact) my husband and I had sex. We hadn't had sex for about a week and a half before this. So by the next night I noticed a few things- I was having some cramping and bloating (no longer have a cycle - had to have a hysterectomy few years ago) and seemed like I needed to urinate a little more frequently. By the next evening I was certain I was experiencing my first UTI! At this point I put off going to a doctor because we had planned a little mini getaway with the kids for the 4th of July and I didn't want to spoil it- so I continued to drink a lot of water and my husband picked me up some OTC meds. Over next couple days it got so bad I was urinating out blood clots! (Yes I made sure it was coming from my urethra and not my vagina, but even still I would have no reason to have bleeding whatsoever as I don't have a period.) I eventually went to urgent care. So a few days later I went to my gyno (the apt was unrelated.. but maybe I should mention we did discover a rectocele) so with that apt they did a swab and called the next day to tell me I also had BV.  Now I know both BV and UTI are common things, & aren't considered to be STI. But it did seem a little odd to me that I'm not prone to these things and all a sudden I have both.  So those were treated. Had to go about 3 weeks maybe with no sex. 😖 So me and my husband FINALLY had sex ,& the next evening I noticed those same symptoms of a UTI.  I quickly began drinking lots of fluids and taking the meds (like AZO  urinary health, & some other one) things seemed to go back to normal for a bit. About a week or so went by - we weren't  intimate  just because I was dealing with some emotional things after learning about my mild rectocele ( posterior  vaginal wall prolapse) we finally had sex again 2 nights ago and here I am again with these symptoms! I woke up in middle night with urgency to urinate, the pressure feeling after I emptied my bladder - that feeling of you still need to go- was back! I also felt almost like a  pulsating sensation in my urethra. Basically all morning so far I'm just consistently feeling like I need to urinate. I know it's the start of a UTI. And now I'm having a lot of discharge. This is not my regular discharge.  It looks very much like the discharge I had few weeks ago when I had BV!  

I don't understand what is happening. How does someone who's never really been prone to these sorta infections, who's been sleeping with the same person , keep getting this right after sex? I've heard people say before sex can throw off your ph balance and things like that- but I'd think after all these years my vagina would be use to him and his typical bacteria!  I'm starting to question things- & that alone makes me feel so awful!!! I never in a million years would have thought I'd question my husband to myself . I have never had any reason to think he's been unfaithful. There's never been any "signs", and he's a good man and good to me. But I can't help but wonder for a second.... why after all this time of being with him am I suddenly getting these infections after we have sex? 

Has this happened to anyone else? Can anyone give me any insight with this? I went to my doc again 2 days ago for my regular pap and whatnot. I'm assuming I'll be getting a phone call if he again found BV- or anything else. I just don't understand why this is going on. 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Im good someone else had this happen after a UTI. I had to go through 3 rounds of antibiotics for it and then I got bv and I've had it for a year now......

• Posted

This does not mean he’s cheating you. I’ve been struggling with this for years rolleyes. There’s possibly something internal going on. Have you been taking any vitamins or supplements? 
  • Posted

So I dont know your age but when I got older and had hormonal changes that is when my problems began. I was with the same man for 12 years but only had problems the last few years. So either I changed or he did or both. . hmmmm? Anyway I wondered if he had slept with someone but Dr said no STI etc.? Just a few things to consider.
  • Posted

Hi Jade I’m sorry you are going through this once again. I know In my case I got bv when my partner and I broke up and i stepped out with someone else just once and since then I’ve been dealing with this crap. I can say it’s been now 6 years that I have chronic bv. Nothing seem to make it go away and it’s really depressing at this point for me because I haven’t been able to conceive. Anyhow, I know it’s difficult not to think the worst but I would say not to freak out yet because you did mention you have bv during your pregnancies. So maybe I’m thinking it’s just come back and something threw off your ph again like when you were pregnant. I’m eeally sorry I know exactly how you feel. I just finished Metrodinazole this morning and I was the doctor this morning because I still have A LOT of discharge so the antibiotics did nothing. I got the metro gel now but I know it’s not going to work either. Have you tried boric acid? 
  • Posted

Jade,

I am so sorry :-( I also have chronic BV which I am almost positive came from a new sex partner after being in a long relationship. I have been to the Gyno and treated several times but it just keeps comimg back. I have tried all of the home remedies etc.. I also havent had sex in almost 8 months! And its still here. My main symptoms are urinating frequently, and a bad odor. Its so embarrassing... Any chance of having a regular sex life or dating life is out of the window for me until WHO KNOWS when! 

Anyway, I know you mention you havent had any infections before, but with BV you can literally get it by swimmimg in certain water your Ph doesnt agree with, sweating a lot, wearing tight clothing etc. but you are saying that you are noticing it after sex which is odd if it hasnt happened before, but not all of the sudden it is. 

I am not sure 🤔 Wish I could help more... but I have not found any cure. Wish you the best of luck, have a good weekend. 

• Posted

that's how mine started UTIs at first like every time i had sex with my long-term monogamous partner id get a UTI then so many runs of antibiotics then BV and BV stayed Im having some luck with boric acid and probiotics but it's a whole thing. ive had it for like 6-7 years ...take a bath with a lil apple cider vinegar in it. cranberry pills- I don't know how this happens i will say that when it initially started theres no way around this so i apologize for the graphic nature but it was like he penetrated deeper than usual and it hurt just once then it was UTI city after that. Im sorry this is happening to you. trust me, i know how you feel- i highly doubt he's been unfaithful this is a wide wide spread womens issue right now and no one seems to know enough about it or how to get rid of it. 

• Posted

READ THIS LADIES!! I had BV for the past 6-7 years, every day ... never a break.. it destroys underwear, and became rather embarrassing in the bedroom department. 

I couldn’t have a nice hot bath 

I couldn’t have a bubble bath 

I couldn’t wear undeadwerar 

I couldn’t wash my hair in the bath 

I couldn’t do a lot of things 

I finally found a cure! Well for me anyway! Ever noticed you go to the shops femfresh £4 and still gives me BV,  that canastafresh stuff £11.99!!!! I tried Johnson’s baby moisturising bath and for 3 days I’ve had NO sign of BV, 

It is PH balanced and gives you smooth skin £1.50 

I’ve now got 3 of my mates to try it and they have all said the same it worked immediately xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.